Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:54 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
If you can find one at a good price, buy it.

If I were buying now, however, I'd use that the seller can get part of the payout for leverage. Now if I was selling, I'd tell someone making such an argument to get stuffed. So I think it's worth a shot, but don't let an otherwise good deal slip by if they don't buy into the argument.
Agree. Use it to your advantage as much as you can, and especially don't let a dealer get any of the restitution!

Originally Posted by TrackJunke
...to get the car fixed (optional).... Please correct me if I am missing something.....
Also, it may be optional now, but VA may institute a requirement for an emissions test for continued registration. Or even that the fix is applied for continued registration. So don't bank on being able to refuse an EPA/CARB compliant fix.

And as chsu says (below), the trick is, indeed, figuring out the right price now that the settlement is approved.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:56 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

^ Challenge is that there is a way to calculate a firm market value today with terms of compensation announced compared to 8 months ago when they were so much uncertainty surrounding this. Much of it disappeared when the 2.0 compensation was announced as it set precedent.

All CD owners can just hold it and get 100% restitution instead of sharing it 50%. Unless the seller needs to sell today then the restitution gives him a budget to factor even carrying cost. Advantage goes to CD owners me thinks..
Old 02-18-2017, 10:29 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Also, it may be optional now, but VA may institute a requirement for an emissions test for continued registration. Or even that the fix is applied for continued registration. So don't bank on being able to refuse an EPA/CARB compliant fix.
I'm in VA as well. They've had a mixed history on following CARBs lead in cases like this.

Based on the settlement I'm also not sure how much of a leg (including CA) will have to stand on to try and force us to apply the fix. It is clearly worded that we have a choice and CARB/EPA agreed to it. Given that it becomes hard to argue that the state is following the regulator's lead since the regulators have basically said they don't care if the cars are fixed or not.

Now the real question is if a state does try to force the fix, will someone try to fight it and if so how far?
Old 02-18-2017, 11:33 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

I'm in VA as well. They've had a mixed history on following CARBs lead in cases like this.

Based on the settlement I'm also not sure how much of a leg (including CA) will have to stand on to try and force us to apply the fix. It is clearly worded that we have a choice and CARB/EPA agreed to it. Given that it becomes hard to argue that the state is following the regulator's lead since the regulators have basically said they don't care if the cars are fixed or not.

Now the real question is if a state does try to force the fix, will someone try to fight it and if so how far?
My CD won't be due for its' first emissions test until 11/18, when it will be 5 years old. I just don't see any possibility my state (CT) can implement new rules by then. If there is no demand to show a fix by 11/18, I've bought two more years. Don't forget, the car will "pass" the test as is. I can probably delay any state requirement for a fix for almost 3 years from now. If the fix needs to be done by then, fine...then I'll sell it for what ever it's worth.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:32 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Something I've been pondering, what will not getting the fix due to the value?

Depending on the results of the fix, I could see it fetch a premium from people like some of us in the thread who prefer what we originally bought.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:54 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

They may not follow CARB, but just because CARB and the EPA said the fix is optional, so is allowing a car on the road. Remember, you (we) have no constitutional right to operate a vehicle on public roads. So, if the legislature chooses to act - or maybe even the state EPA equivalent or DMV does some rulemaking and institutes a new regulation - then challenging it would be close to a lost cause.

Personally, I hope they flip CARB the bird. Here in WA, they apparently do follow CARB... but there's no emissions testing, so unless the state requires proof of a fix to re-register, I guess I'll have the option, too.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:02 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skiahh
Personally, I hope they flip CARB the bird. Here in WA, they apparently do follow CARB... but there's no emissions testing, so unless the state requires proof of a fix to re-register, I guess I'll have the option, too.
That's just it, if its not a mandated recall it then becomes difficult for them. If it's mandated by EPA/NHTSB/etc.. there is a database where recalls are tracked by VIN. If there is no actual recall, then I don't know if they can use the same system. If they aren't using the same system, then they have to implement their own as well as figure out how to deal with cars from outside their jurisdiction that come into their jurisdiction.

It's of course possible, but with the exceptions of states like CA/NY/OR/WA that seem to like making their lives difficult and wasting money, I don't see many (if any) states willingly picking up the fight unless they think they can get some pay off. Even if all 80k cars were in one state and went unfixed, that's not much for pay off potential.

My money is on most/all states not making any additional requirements. If the EPA isn't going to make a stink and threaten highway funds, I think we are safe to go unfixed and since they are allowing the option of not fixing in the settlement, I think we are good.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:56 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Something I've been pondering, what will not getting the fix due to the value?

Depending on the results of the fix, I could see it fetch a premium from people like some of us in the thread who prefer what we originally bought.
Take the money and then buy an aftermarket tune. There will still be plenty leftover with everyone happy. Why over think it?
Old 02-19-2017, 09:04 AM
porsche42
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any Florida residents here with CD? I thought Florida has no emission testing.
Why not take half the money don't to the fix and still the mileage and power if you live in Florida.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:28 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chsu74
Take the money and then buy an aftermarket tune. There will still be plenty leftover with everyone happy. Why over think it?
I had the BlueSpark early on. The Euro version actually made a difference, but it had issues and ultimately failed. I replaced it with the US version as it had become available, but the mileage improvement was nominal and at least my butt dyno (I put the euro version on an actual dyno) said that it wasn't performing as well either.

A tunes also work from a base line. Adding one to a car that has lost 3-5% of its power will net you lower results than one that still has 100% of its performance.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:33 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

^ do you add cetene booster to your diesel after every fill up? I wonder if it is the poor quality fuel we get in the US.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:36 AM
Mallens
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just received this morning from VAG.

Volkswagen, Audi, and Porsche have reached three new settlements with federal and state agencies and consumers on claims that they installed defeat device software to bypass emissions standards in 3.0-liter turbocharged direct injection (TDI) diesel engine vehicles.
For information about the compensation options available, please read the Court-approved notice carefully, and visit www.VWCourtSettlement.com. There you can enter your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and determine if your vehicle is included. You can access an Online Claims Portal and get information about what the settlements mean for you. Further information on how to make claims, including a link to the claims portal, will be sent to you upon final approval. The Online Claims Portal will provide the fastest processing of your claim.
We will send you a follow-up email attaching the Court-approved notice, but meanwhile, you can access it at the website www.VWCourtSettlement.com. You can also call 1-844-98-CLAIM for more information.
To be removed from future communications please click here.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:38 AM
Mallens
Advanced

Here is a new link to a form if you are a former owner:

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en...ion%20Form.pdf
Old 02-19-2017, 11:10 AM
Mallens
Advanced

Link to a new doc explaining benefits:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...issue-207.html

Looks like it is up to VW, CARB, and EPA.

I wasn't pleased to see there is so much left unanswered, especially regarding the compliant repair or a possible reduced emission repair. CARB and EPA can ok a repair that reduces NOx but doesn't bring them into compliance.

VAG has won this round, they have enough outs here that they will make sure they are able to create some kind of fix that their new friends at the EPA and CARB will probably approve.

As for vehicle neutering, all the words they used don't mean a thing until we get the repair and see how it impacts our vehicles.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:58 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chsu74
^ do you add cetene booster to your diesel after every fill up? I wonder if it is the poor quality fuel we get in the US.
I tried a couple of tanks. The bump in MPG i saw was within a reasonable margin of error (less than 1mpg) so I haven't bothered any more.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue