Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 05:39 PM
SignDoc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gaining some traction?

I read the article below and emailed the author, James Hood. I explained I feel the Gen 2 3.0L customers are really getting screwed and should have a buyback option.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ls-020117.html

His response was:
We're planning a story next week. Thanks.

Maybe we need to keep complaining and this thing might turn around.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:30 PM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Little late replying to whoever was asking about used CD pricing. I purchased 2014 with 26k miles 2 weeks ago, advertised for 49,990 and I paid little more than couple of grand less than that. They had 2 other 2014s with more miles (1 was mid 30's miles for about the same money but with less options, and the other was more miles than that for little bit less $)
Old 02-17-2017, 08:29 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by SignDoc
Maybe we need to keep complaining and this thing might turn around.
At some point, it just becomes whining.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:32 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So I live in a non emission check state. What is my calculus for buying one of these used? What is the seller's calculus? Evidently, there will be no new CD's available from the dealers, because they are taking a boat ride home. I would like to buy the lowest mileage 2016 with the best options I can find and take the risk. Who is a seller, what is the price, and who has what rights post deal? Without some clarity, no market will ever develop.

Sorry to be slow on the uptake. I am just getting through all 200 pages of this thread.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:03 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
So I live in a non emission check state. What is my calculus for buying one of these used? What is the seller's calculus? Evidently, there will be no new CD's available from the dealers, because they are taking a boat ride home. I would like to buy the lowest mileage 2016 with the best options I can find and take the risk. Who is a seller, what is the price, and who has what rights post deal? Without some clarity, no market will ever develop.

Sorry to be slow on the uptake. I am just getting through all 200 pages of this thread.
I've been hearing quite a bit of this. In fact, a friend with a dealership a (non vag) is buying up as many as possible... betting the market on a diesel SUV.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:03 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I am also considering buying one as well, I feel like there is likely minimal down side. The way I see it...6 year warranty for free, 10k to get the car fixed (optional), or a buyback where I would be given almost 20k more then I am paying for the car. The downside risk I see is either they absolutely blow out the unsold units (still up in the air if they actually sell them) and drive the price of the gen 2.0 cars down or the fix negatively effects performance (which could trigger a buyback). I think overall there will still be a demand for these cars and they will be relatively uncommon after they buyback most of the gen1 cars and could be a pretty good vehicle to drive for 4-5 years without significant cost. Please correct me if I am missing something.....
Old 02-18-2017, 08:51 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

I've enjoyed my Gen1 Touareg so much, that I eagerly look forward to upgrading to a Cayenne diesel if/when the opportunity presents. As awesome as the Touareg has been, I imagine the Cayenne is that much better, having the Porsche suspension tuning. I'm on the list with the local dealer to get one of their service loaners. I'm just a bit sad that my Touareg will be crushed. What a nice ride it's been!
Old 02-18-2017, 11:16 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
At some point, it just becomes whining.
I think that point has come and gone for some

Not sure what is hard to understand about "if you don't feel represented and satisfied, opt out and pursue your own judgement"...

Originally Posted by sclemmons

No new diesels are coming in, but no diesels already here are being sent back. The unsold inventory will have the fix applied and then be released for sale. It's just a question of when.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:29 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrackJunke
I am also considering buying one as well, I feel like there is likely minimal down side. The way I see it...6 year warranty for free, 10k to get the car fixed (optional), or a buyback where I would be given almost 20k more then I am paying for the car. The downside risk I see is either they absolutely blow out the unsold units (still up in the air if they actually sell them) and drive the price of the gen 2.0 cars down or the fix negatively effects performance (which could trigger a buyback). I think overall there will still be a demand for these cars and they will be relatively uncommon after they buyback most of the gen1 cars and could be a pretty good vehicle to drive for 4-5 years without significant cost. Please correct me if I am missing something.....
You're missing the fact that if you buy one now, the former owner splits the "spoils" with you, so you don't get the 10K and if you do a buyback, you have to split the restitution.

I don't know how dealers who bought one/took it it trade fall into the "former owner" category. If I had to guess, I'd say Porsche dealers don't get to claim that status, but any other dealer could (and likely will) claim money as a former owner. That is, of course, after trying to sell the vehicle at full retail because you'll get settlement money, too. If it were me, I'd have a dealer sign a waiver forgoing any claim as a former owner as part of the deal.

But that still doesn't mean the owner who traded/sold the vehicle in the first place doesn't register to get their share, too.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:34 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

You're missing the fact that if you buy one now, the former owner splits the "spoils" with you, so you don't get the 10K and if you do a buyback, you have to split the restitution.

I don't know how dealers who bought one/took it it trade fall into the "former owner" category. If I had to guess, I'd say Porsche dealers don't get to claim that status, but any other dealer could (and likely will) claim money as a former owner. That is, of course, after trying to sell the vehicle at full retail because you'll get settlement money, too. If it were me, I'd have a dealer sign a waiver forgoing any claim as a former owner as part of the deal.

But that still doesn't mean the owner who traded/sold the vehicle in the first place doesn't register to get their share, too.
Isn't the 2.0 resolution the same? I thought a lot of the dealers took advantage of this from unsuspecting owners who traded in and pocket all the restitution.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:40 PM
Mallens
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reviewed the most recent posts, I still see people claiming that a neutered fix will result in a buyback. I even saw one poster tearing apart my view about taking the cars back now...

Not sure where the neutered fix triggers a buyback, everything I read says other wise and here is the email from PSC lead counsel:

If there is greater performance degradation than would be covered by the $500, the settlement enables to seek whatever remedies- including but not necessarily limited to a buyback-are fair and necessary. We would do this on an expedited basis, VW could oppose, and Judge Breyer would decide. We did not limit this to a specific remedy because we don't know to what extent performance would be an issue. The buyback is the most obvious remedy, and the buyback values gave already been negotiated. But some owners might prefer to keep the vehicles nonetheless, with additional monetary compensation. So it is flexible. I do not know the probability of a fix. VW is dead certain they will achieve it, and has told the Court so repeatedly. Our experts say it is feasible- but that does not mean it will be achieved. We tightened the deadlines as much as we could do while still giving the submission and testing process a chance to succeed. We are fortunate to be before a Court who cares as much about speed and efficiency as the owners do. I would call him a true performance judge.

Now if they wanted, they could have said in the descent decree that if any degradation in performance above 3% would trigger a buyback, but they didn't. The descent decree is very complicated in both breath and scope but not sure why they left so many openings in this part of the agreement.

If VW plays this out, they can almost push out a fix into 2018, then add a couple years to implement the fix. Then if we aren't happy with the performance degradation we can only hope that they will be willing to continue to fight VAG and get either a buyback or additional remedies - NONE OF WHICH ARE GUARANTEED.

Buyout numbers won't me a thing if they create a fix, regardless if it neuters the cars or not. Once they have a fix, good or bad, as long as it brings the vehicles into compliance, VAG will have addressed their obligations with the court.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:03 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I saw that and It is my understanding that the previous owner has to register as such by may 1 and otherwise forfeit any compensation. Guess I will have to take that chance.... stilll on the fence about taking the gamble. Worst thing that happens is I don't get the fix and have a nice car to drive
Old 02-18-2017, 05:24 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
Isn't the 2.0 resolution the same? I thought a lot of the dealers took advantage of this from unsuspecting owners who traded in and pocket all the restitution.
Good point.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:39 PM
Shadows89
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

man what. was thinking of getting a cayenne diesel as upgrade for my current SUV.
so what's the advice right now? wait and see what happens with all this?

Last edited by Shadows89; 02-18-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:58 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadows89
man what. was thinking of getting a cayenne diesel as upgrade for my current SUV.
so what's the advice right now? wait and see what happens with all this?
If you can find one at a good price, buy it.

If I were buying now, however, I'd use that the seller can get part of the payout for leverage. Now if I was selling, I'd tell someone making such an argument to get stuffed. So I think it's worth a shot, but don't let an otherwise good deal slip by if they don't buy into the argument.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue