Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 03:23 PM
billyg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Searcher356
That wasn't the case when we traded our '15 CD for a Macan last month. We gained @$3000 by waiting 3 months.
The values were (and are) still climbing. Seems to be a supply and demand (no supply) issue.

Some Dealers just hate diesels and will never have a real market for them. Others build a market and have waiting lists.
If you want to trade, find one one of the latter.
Hey, you got lucky. The few dealers up this way just want to give you a kick in the *** until the dust settles.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:08 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

That wasn't the case when we traded our '15 CD for a Macan last month. We gained @$3000 by waiting 3 months.
The values were (and are) still climbing. Seems to be a supply and demand (no supply) issue.

Some Dealers just hate diesels and will never have a real market for them. Others build a market and have waiting lists.
Originally Posted by billyg
Hey, you got lucky. The few dealers up this way just want to give you a kick in the *** until the dust settles.
My dealer said they don't come across diesels often, and when they do, they tend to go quickly.

Maybe there are cases of dealers using it as an excuse to lowball a trade, only to mark it up on resale. The one I just bought, the dealer acquired because they knew I was looking for one.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:10 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
My dealer said they don't come across diesels often, and when they do, they tend to go quickly.

Maybe there are cases of dealers using it as an excuse to lowball a trade, only to mark it up on resale. The one I just bought, the dealer acquired because they knew I was looking for one.
There may be some of that, but there are also some areas where the diesel just never sold well. Some speculation is on the dealers not trying to create a market, but I don't think dealers had to do much in my area as people just seemed to jump at it.

I'd say 1 in 3 non TT/GTS 958s I see in my area are diesels and that doesn't account for ones I can't see the badging of.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

If porsche offered 60k+ for my car as it sits now I'd take it in a heartbeat.
As great as the car is thats the financially prudent thing to do. What would replace it is another issue...
I really, really like this car.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:38 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
As great as the car is thats the financially prudent thing to do. What would replace it is another issue...
As much as we love it, ^this^.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:45 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skiahh
As much as we love it, ^this^.
Yup. And that was the position everybody I know with 2.0TDI's was in, too. Both personally connected friends AND a lot of posts/threads I've read elsewhere.

And I have to say, I'd probably do the same.

I just bought my CD and frickin LOVE IT TO DEATH so far but to walk away with $60k would be tough to say "no" to.

I'd probably buy another Cayenne lol. Maybe find a leftover new '16 S, or track down a really low mileage used '15 diesel (just newer, lower miles, and more options than my current one).
Old 01-09-2017, 09:34 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I seriously doubt there is going to be a huge windfall for any of this. A few thousand on top of normal depreciation isn't going to leave that much left for those of us with 13s and 14s with decent mileage on them. Even 40k isn't going to get me anything I like without adding a fair bit of $ on top of it...
Old 01-09-2017, 10:24 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

We too would gladly take the buyout, but we also ordered this one specifically as we wanted it and love it, so we are happy to keep it too (unchanged)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:21 AM
SignDoc
Advanced

My CD is in for service....I bought an $80K CD and they give me a 2.0 Macan for a loaner. What a joke...and the 2.0 Macan is crap, engine is terrible, turbo lag and it's noisy as hell. Can't believe people are buying them.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:51 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Why do people have this belief of "I paid $XXX for my car and it's wrong they gave me a cheaper loaner!"? Especially when they only have it for a few hours or a couple of days?

Ooooohhhh you got stuck with a lowly Macan! You poor thing!

You want crap? In 2001/2002 my wife got stuck with a base Chevy that didn't even have a CD/Tape player in it for 3 months while the 996 was in the shop. That thing was a POS and a half, but our only complaint was that it would have been nice to have something better than AM/FM to listen too...

Maybe it's because I remember the days before loaner cars where you either had to sit and wait at the dealer or organize dropping it off and picking it up, but the entitlement of what people think is an inadequate loaner astounds me.

From a business perspective what sense does it make to fill your loaner fleet with $80k, $100, $1M (because the 918 owner is coming in sooner or later and god forbid they get an inferior loaner!!!) cars?
Old 01-10-2017, 12:19 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gnat
Why do people have this belief of "I paid $XXX for my car and it's wrong they gave me a cheaper loaner!"? Especially when they only have it for a few hours or a couple of days?

You want crap? In 2001/2002 my wife got stuck with a base Chevy that didn't even have a CD/Tape player in it for 3 months while the 996 was in the shop. That thing was a POS and a half, but our only complaint was that it would have been nice to have something better than AM/FM to listen too...

Maybe it's because I remember the days before loaner cars where you either had to sit and wait at the dealer or organize dropping it off and picking it up, but the entitlement of what people think is an inadequate loaner astounds me.

From a business perspective what sense does it make to fill your loaner fleet with $80k, $100, $1M (because the 918 owner is coming in sooner or later and god forbid they get an inferior loaner!!!) cars?

^^^ kind of in agreement here.

I'm happy I get a loaner at all - and a Porsche loaner at that! Honestly figured they'd just have an Enterprise on location and stick me in a basic Kia for $10/day. All I really care about is being able to get to/from where I need to go.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:21 PM
SignDoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by gnat

1. It's been in 10 days in a row now, not a couple of hours or a day. They are still trying to get even more parts.

2. Porsche / Audi recommends a loaner that's comparable, regardless of the "business case". They are paying for this. Haven't you seen their survey, they ask if a loaner was a "same class" vehicle.

3. With three kids, the Macan is an inconvenience, especially since it's been nearly 2 weeks. It will probably be 3 weeks.

4. The real point was that the Macan is crap.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:23 PM
deanrose
AutoX

This whole loaner thing is off topic........Just Sayin. This forum needs a moderator.

Originally Posted by SignDoc
1. It's been in 10 days in a row now, not a couple of hours or a day. They are still trying to get even more parts.

2. Porsche / Audi recommends a loaner that's comparable, regardless of the "business case". They are paying for this. Haven't you seen their survery, they ask if a loaner was a "same class" vehicle.

3. With three kids, the Macan is an inconvenience, especially since it's been nearly 2 weeks. It will probably be 3 weeks.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
I seriously doubt there is going to be a huge windfall for any of this. A few thousand on top of normal depreciation isn't going to leave that much left for those of us with 13s and 14s with decent mileage on them. Even 40k isn't going to get me anything I like without adding a fair bit of $ on top of it...
Much less than that I just keep it. 8 years warranty + 125k miles? I'll drive wheels off it.

I just bought parts for the 40k service. will have my indy do it. for like 1/3 dealer cost.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:39 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SignDoc

2. Porsche / Audi recommends a loaner that's comparable, regardless of the "business case". They are paying for this. Haven't you seen their survey, they ask if a loaner was a "same class" vehicle.

You could ask for a different loaner, if that would help you. If you haven't alienated your Dealer, I'm sure they will work with you.

Regarding the Macan, it's a stunning small SUV, with better off-road capabilities than the Diesel Cayenne, significantly less turbo lag, and quieter than 2/3 of the Cayennes I have driven. It's a hoot to drive.
As an owner, you don't have to change oil every 5,000 miles while stewing over a possible windfall from PCNA for your CD.

We miss some aspects of our CD, but the quiet capabilities of the Macan and it's fun-to-drive quotient offset our losses.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue