Old 12-27-2016, 06:36 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Mallens
From the Second Partial Consent Decree 12-20-2016

"IV. EMISSIONS MODIFICATION PROPOSAL REQUIREMENTS"
"4.1 Defendants may submit to EPA and CARB, for any Test Group or combination of Test Groups of the 3.0 Liter Subject Vehicles, an Emissions Modification Proposal according to the schedule and requirements specified in this Section IV. In addition to the requirements specified herein, the Emissions Modification Proposal must contain all the elements of an Ordered Recall Plan/Remedial Plan, pursuant to 40 C.F.R. Part 85, Subpart S and Cal. Code Regs., tit. 13, § 2125. EPA/CARB will not approve an Emissions Modification Proposal unless and until Defendants have provided in a Submission or Submissions all materials required under Section IV of this Appendix B to EPA/CARB."
"4.2 Each Emissions Modification Proposal must be submitted by Defendants to EPA and CARB on or before the dates and as specified in the chart below. EPA/CARB will use the agencies’ best efforts to either approve or disapprove each complete proposal (as detailed herein) within 45 Days of the actual Submission. To facilitate an expeditious review and approval process, Defendants may submit data and Emissions Modifications Proposals at any time before the deadlines below. Regardless of the time of Submission, no Approval can be made until after the Effective Date of the Consent Decree. If any of the Final Submittal Deadlines below expire prior to the Date of Entry, such deadlines will be extended to fourteen (14) Days beyond the Date of Entry."

"Generation "Defendants’ Expected Submittal Date" "Defendants’ Final Submittal Deadline"
1.1 "August 25, 2017" "November 10, 2017"
1.2 "August 25, 2017" "November 10, 2017"
2.1 "February 24,2017" "May 12, 2017"
"2.2 SUV" "February 11,2017" "April 25, 2017"
"2 PC" "April 7, 2017" "June 23, 2017"
They way I read the Partial CD, this only applies if they cannot get a fix approved that meets current regs....which means they would have to offer us a buyback.

This would let them still keep cars on the road, but would give owners a choice. How do you read it?
Old 12-27-2016, 06:43 PM
Mallens
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my translation:

I believe those are the dates that they (GOV) expect VAG to submit their proposed modifications and the GOV will be expeditious ruling on wether or not it is acceptable. If not, they will have the opportunity to submit another 'Final' proposal.

At least it appears that we should know something about a fix by no later than Feb.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:23 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

There is going to be a fix. Otherwise there is no need to do all this convoluted settlement. It is just fancy words for the regulators to give VW a discount after all the pounds they took. The discount being us having compromised CDs. They hope we will be fine with some extra change money
Old 12-28-2016, 12:33 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
There is going to be a fix. Otherwise there is no need to do all this convoluted settlement. It is just fancy words for the regulators to give VW a discount after all the pounds they took. The discount being us having compromised CDs. They hope we will be fine with some extra change money
There is as much, if not more, language in the 2.0 Consent Decree. And that includes a fix or buyback. I've read that one too. The requirements listed for the 2.0 fix are very similar in level of detail. They are not simply letting VW slide on these.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:57 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Just read the court transcript on the last teleconference.

Some highlights:

1. Half the conference was about the 2.0l, they are enthusiastic about the progress VW has made with the buybacks - they obviously avoided reading any media reports about how bad it is going. They did bringing up the customer's stripping their cars, court is not pleased with hearing this, Judge commented on it but will take action if it continues.

2. 3.0L, Everyone seems excited about the progress (note - that doesn't include consumers). VW, Audi, and Porsche get all of 2017 to create a fix that must be approved by EPA and CARB, only for emission issues, and any conversation about the adverse effect of those modifications wasn't mentioned. They did say that owners will be receiving compensation but didn't say when or how much.

My concern is the fix and timeline given to VAG to muddle around and submit proposed fixes for review. While I read the court docs explaining the testing procedure for the emission fix, it is clearly in VAG's interest to delay... delay.... delay, not just for monetary reasons, but the more time that goes on, the greater the chance that the regulators will approve their fix so they can move on to other endeavors. Porsche CEO has said it is an easy fix for Gen II and Get III 3.0L back in Jan of 2016, yet the court says they get another additional year to delay.

If this is so easy, why the extra year? With CARB and EPA getting paid (before us), where is the motivation now to help us as consumers? I have dealt with CARB and was not surprised when I heard they had their own backdoor agreement with VW and all the money they will get.
From the Second Partial Consent Decree 12-20-2016

"IV. EMISSIONS MODIFICATION PROPOSAL REQUIREMENTS"
"4.1 Defendants may submit to EPA and CARB, for any Test Group or combination of Test Groups of the 3.0 Liter Subject Vehicles, an Emissions Modification Proposal according to the schedule and requirements specified in this Section IV. In addition to the requirements specified herein, the Emissions Modification Proposal must contain all the elements of an Ordered Recall Plan/Remedial Plan, pursuant to 40 C.F.R. Part 85, Subpart S and Cal. Code Regs., tit. 13, § 2125. EPA/CARB will not approve an Emissions Modification Proposal unless and until Defendants have provided in a Submission or Submissions all materials required under Section IV of this Appendix B to EPA/CARB."
"4.2 Each Emissions Modification Proposal must be submitted by Defendants to EPA and CARB on or before the dates and as specified in the chart below. EPA/CARB will use the agencies’ best efforts to either approve or disapprove each complete proposal (as detailed herein) within 45 Days of the actual Submission. To facilitate an expeditious review and approval process, Defendants may submit data and Emissions Modifications Proposals at any time before the deadlines below. Regardless of the time of Submission, no Approval can be made until after the Effective Date of the Consent Decree. If any of the Final Submittal Deadlines below expire prior to the Date of Entry, such deadlines will be extended to fourteen (14) Days beyond the Date of Entry."

"Generation "Defendants’ Expected Submittal Date" "Defendants’ Final Submittal Deadline"
1.1 "August 25, 2017" "November 10, 2017"
1.2 "August 25, 2017" "November 10, 2017"
2.1 "February 24,2017" "May 12, 2017"
"2.2 SUV" "February 11,2017" "April 25, 2017"

"2 PC" "April 7, 2017" "June 23, 2017"
I'm not sure how those dates equate to ALL of 2017....
Old 12-28-2016, 11:59 AM
TXCayenne
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: We should contact Klaus Zellmer directly......

From a November 11, 2016 press release by Porsche:

"Customer satisfaction is our highest priority in our endeavor to deliver a unique and rewarding Porsche experience," said Klaus Zellmer, President and CEO, Porsche Cars North America, Inc. "We pride ourselves on building exciting and innovative sports cars, but our success is ultimately measured by the approval and appreciation of our customers. I would particularly like to thank our dealer partners who have made it their mission to provide a benchmark experience for their clients who are purchasing a Porsche."

I think that Mr. Zellmer should hear from each and every owner of the CD as to our customer experience.....
Old 12-28-2016, 02:31 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
There is as much, if not more, language in the 2.0 Consent Decree. And that includes a fix or buyback. I've read that one too. The requirements listed for the 2.0 fix are very similar in level of detail. They are not simply letting VW slide on these.
The 2.0 settlement allows owners outright buyback or fix if they want to. If buyback is a choice, they could easily copy the 2.0 settlement. The 2nd gen 3.0 owners have no choice. VW will provide a fix and only if the regulators say no, then a buyback is possible. That is my interpretation.

Now ask yourself why go through all that convoluted settlement? So that they all can say they are satisfied. I bet the regulators are going to approve the fix, however flaw it is. VW saves a few billion, regulators get more $, psc gets paid, and hope owners are happy with a couple of thousands
Old 12-28-2016, 11:14 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The 2.0 settlement allows owners outright buyback or fix if they want to. If buyback is a choice, they could easily copy the 2.0 settlement. The 2nd gen 3.0 owners have no choice. VW will provide a fix and only if the regulators say no, then a buyback is possible. That is my interpretation.

Now ask yourself why go through all that convoluted settlement? So that they all can say they are satisfied. I bet the regulators are going to approve the fix, however flaw it is. VW saves a few billion, regulators get more $, psc gets paid, and hope owners are happy with a couple of thousands
My point was regarding the actual targets that need to,be met with the fix. They are 2.0's. If the fix is in on the fix, as you intimate, then why is the 3.0 fix so detailed?
Old 12-29-2016, 07:24 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

This is the best summary explanation of diesel emission law I have read to date. Figure I would pollute this thread with technical information because I can't whine and bitch as well in comparison. Below makes total sense if you have followed Diesel engines in 2000s. Don't know where the Audi 2.0T, Gen I and II 3.0T diesel emissions levels are at.

Post #19
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...luetecs-2.html

"Emissions requirements did drive the change. Starting in 2004 the US introduced 10 "Bins" of differing emissions compliance levels. Bin 1 is the cleanest (zero emissions) and Bin 10 is the dirtiest. Over time increasingly cleaner levels are required of light duty passenger cars. Bins 9 and 10 were no longer permitted as of the 2007 model year. Bins 6, 7, and 8 were no longer permitted as of the 2010 model year.

The om648 E320 CDI is a Bin 10 vehicle, hence not legal for sale in the US after 2006. The om642 E320 Bluetec is a Bin 8 vehicle, so OK for sale from 2007 through 2009 model years. The e350 Bluetec (with DEF) introduced in 2010 is a Bin 5 vehicle (which also happens to have been the California standard all along).

For comparison, Bin 10 permits 0.6 grams/mile of NoX, Bin 8 is 0.2. Bin 10 permits 0.8 grams/mile of particulate matter, Bin 8 is 0.2. CO and Formaldehyde standards are the same between the two. So there are significant reductions in NoX and PM emissions going from the 648 to the 642 - approximately 70%."
Old 12-29-2016, 10:32 AM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Just called PCNA and spoke to CS rep Brenda, she was very pleasant on the phone.

1. Made sure all my contact info was up to day
2. Complained we aren't hearing anything from PCNA, she said she isn't told much either
3. Mentioned CEO said he would dump all CD onto market once the fix is approved, more loss of value.
4. Brand, we talked about how Porsche represents itself as a premium brand, yet miscommunicates that with their CD customers who are being left in the dark and treated like crap compared to at least the VW and Audi customers.

The biggest take away - EVERYONE NEEDS TO WRITE TO THE CEO OF PCNA, this is the only way outside of the court to get him to or take action.
The VW owners - of late model 3.0s at least - are being treated just as poorly. I suspect oil burning Audi owners feel the same too.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:34 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
My point was regarding the actual targets that need to,be met with the fix. They are 2.0's. If the fix is in on the fix, as you intimate, then why is the 3.0 fix so detailed?
Just my gut reaction. Smoke screen. So that everyone can be excused with "we did our best effort" and washes their hands.

Lets face it. No buyback if VW provides a fix that is acceptable by the regulators. The regulators never gave a reason why prior fixes were not acceptable. I always thought it was merely negotiation tactics. They have reached the end of how much to sweeze VW. So, my gut reaction is they will say yes to the next fix. Call me a cynical
Old 12-29-2016, 12:50 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

So, my gut reaction is they will say yes to the next fix which will likely be the original proposed fix. Call me a cynical
FTFY

You're not cynical, I'm cynical
Old 12-29-2016, 01:11 PM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan A
The VW owners - of late model 3.0s at least - are being treated just as poorly. I suspect oil burning Audi owners feel the same too.
We do...
Old 12-29-2016, 01:55 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
FTFY

You're not cynical, I'm cynical
Remember awhile back when some CA owners got letters from CARB asking to rent their CDs to be used as benchmarks for testing proposed fixes? So, I am sure they know the results of the fixes

[edit: to those owners, please keep those letters. May be evidence of bad faith by the regulators]
Old 12-31-2016, 11:24 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Just called PCNA and spoke to CS rep Brenda, she was very pleasant on the phone.

1. Made sure all my contact info was up to day
2. Complained we aren't hearing anything from PCNA, she said she isn't told much either
3. Mentioned CEO said he would dump all CD onto market once the fix is approved, more loss of value.
4. Brand, we talked about how Porsche represents itself as a premium brand, yet miscommunicates that with their CD customers who are being left in the dark and treated like crap compared to at least the VW and Audi customers.

The biggest take away - EVERYONE NEEDS TO WRITE TO THE CEO OF PCNA, this is the only way outside of the court to get him to or take action.
What is the CEO's snail mail address or email address? I would be more than happy to show him the great Macan GTS deals my dealer offered me and the quite a bit more expensive AMG product I bought instead.... Oh, and now Porsche is asking me if I still own my car because I stopped all service at the dealership. LOLZ. I have no problem showing the almost 100k of business they have lost since this started.

Some of you may think I am whining... I'm not. I'm just acting. MY money is talking and it is not talking in the direction of Porsche for the first time in a while.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue