Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by digs
My 2015 will remain unmolested or bought back .
Good luck with that.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:56 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Good luck with that.
That's my plan for my 13 too. If my state doesn't require it for registration (which I am good for 2 more years now) then I won't let a Porsche dealer touch it again.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:02 AM
digs
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

I can get around state inspection easy enough . Remember the vehicle passes when being tested . Has anyone ever been road side checked for emissions ?
Old 01-12-2017, 06:15 AM
Guards Red Car
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I can get around state inspection easy enough . Remember the vehicle passes when being tested . Has anyone ever been road side checked for emissions ?
Sure....I just make sure to have a VW Engineer with me...Passes everytime!
Old 01-12-2017, 09:14 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Exactly. They would have to be smart enough to ask for proof the emissions recall was done. I wonder if we can buy those stickers they are talking about?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:22 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
That's my plan for my 13 too. If my state doesn't require it for registration (which I am good for 2 more years now) then I won't let a Porsche dealer touch it again.
And you won't get half your compensation....
Old 01-12-2017, 10:42 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Exactly. They would have to be smart enough to ask for proof the emissions recall was done. I wonder if we can buy those stickers they are talking about?
The DMVs of all states (and provinces?) are connected to a central system managed by the NHTSA. When a dealer performs a safety or emissions recall, they notify NHTSA and the database is updated to reflect that the given VIN has been fixed.

So when you go to register they simply check that database for any outstanding recalls that they are requiring you to have completed.

If I remember correctly that system was implemented along with OBD-II.

So it just comes down to if your particular state is going to require it or not.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,087 Posts

In CA they do roadside checks. It's part of the emissions standards process. These checks are OPTIONAL even though they seem like they are "required" you can decline to be tested. They literally setup a road block in a lane and direct cars to a mobile dyno.

However, police also can enforce emissions, but they ONLY do this based on visual inspections. They have to have a probably cause to inspect the car. In the world of porsches and suvs you'd never see this.

So here, I guess if there was a real recall, they could decline registration renewal, but I've never heard of that in CA. That said I do believe that DEALERS are required to address all recalls prior to resale, so that would probably get most cars out there.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:42 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Unitl they publish new limits for the standard test that only modified vehicles can meet....
Old 01-12-2017, 12:43 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Looks like the EPA is emboldened. Whether they're going for money, prestige or actual violations, who knows, though?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ency/96485486/

Yes, I'm cynical about the EPA. And the press, too... in keeping with the words matter theme, notice the author of the article uses "spew" vs "emit", spew having a much more negative connotation.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:14 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Looks like the EPA is emboldened. Whether they're going for money, prestige or actual violations, who knows, though?

Yes, I'm cynical about the EPA. And the press, too... in keeping with the words matter theme, notice the author of the article uses "spew" vs "emit", spew having a much more negative connotation.
and I almost bought an eco diesel Ram last year too! I would have had the local dealers stocked anything other than work truck models in the diesel. Glad I got the V8 instead.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:29 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skiahh

You want cynical? My bet is that if anything comes of this, it will be a slap on the wrist in comparison to what VAG got. Bet none of their execs get picked up by the FBI either...

I don't condone what VAG did, but I think we are about to see how biased the system is.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:36 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
In CA they do roadside checks. It's part of the emissions standards process. These checks are OPTIONAL even though they seem like they are "required" you can decline to be tested. They literally setup a road block in a lane and direct cars to a mobile dyno.
This is one of the most egregious wastes of money, effort and heavy-handed governmental oversight imaginable. I can think of 1,000 better ways that those public funds could be diverted elsewhere to make even a limited difference in society's problems. What a joke.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,087 Posts

You won't get an argument by me. What it 'really' is - it is a process that is part of the emissions standards. They are required to get "real world" emissions from some sample of cars every year. This is in addition to bi annual smog checks. These roadside checks are NOT required by individuals they are optional. Bi-annual smog checks are required for registration.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

As expected, the trickle down through other manufacturers has begun.
http://autoweek.com/article/car-news...cess-emissions

Chrysler is taking the position of denying everything.
I wonder, had VW taken that position from the get-go, would the EPA/CARB have a case about exceeding emission standards? Reporting procedures, maybe, but probably no emissions exceeded.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue