Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 04:37 AM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
WTF are you on about? There's pretty much zero likelihood of any kind of confiscating. Just stop with the fake news hype. Haven't we all had ENOUGH of that idiocy already?

As for recoverable, that's laughably stupid. Choosing to slap stuff onto a vehicle has no bearing on the kind of issue at hand here. Factory equipment, sure. But anything else would be entirely on you.
If you live in a "nonattainment" air quality area, you will probably not be able to register your vehicle if it's not "fixed."
If yours is a 2013 or earlier, there IS no fix for the 3.0's - at least that's the way it looks now.
There is no word on whether Dealers will service an "unfixable" Diesel. The thrust of the EPA and CARB seems to be to get these cars off the road ASAP, so who knows what measures will be required?

If you can't register your car, the remedy is to turn it in. I'd call that a confiscation, especially since it appears that they will destroy the car, or at least its engine. You can call it what you want, but I'm not laughing.

If I am forced to turn in a car that I expected to keep for 5 - 7 years and my investment in stuff like my hitch, I have lost that investment. I'll have to spend it again on a replacement vehicle. One of the stated concepts of the settlement is for owners to be able to replace their car with a like vehicle.
It's an issue for me, and I'm not laughing about that, either.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:56 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

IMHO I would not rely heavily (or lightly) on anything reported concerning the 3.0L diesel as fixable or not fixable until the court deems as such. There have been speculative reports regarding first gen diesels from VW and Audi as being too expensive to "fix", but again nothing has been confirmed by the court and/or settlement agreement. The 2nd gen diesels include the DEF (Ad Blue trademarked) Urea system. Once again speculative reports suggest these are "fixable" with various options from a combination of hardware & software to only a minor software change. I remain hopeful that next week we begin to see light at the end of the tunnel and can start having a factually based conversation on real options and a path forward.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:36 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Searcher356
The 2 liter cars have a much shorter list of OE options - not the $30k+ list.
You would think there would be consideration if you bought a $58k Cayenne or a $105k car.

We'll have to see.
^ agreed. Audis dont have as many personalized options but i could see someone building out a 100k cayenne vs a. baser at $68k. My a8 was 114 or thereabouts and the base car was 89k
Old 12-09-2016, 12:02 AM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.leftlanenews.com/germany-...ice-93506.html

wtf. Could things get any more complicated (if these tips or leads have any substance)
Old 12-09-2016, 06:56 AM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
IMHO I would not rely heavily (or lightly) on anything reported concerning the 3.0L diesel as fixable or not fixable until the court deems as such. There have been speculative reports regarding first gen diesels from VW and Audi as being too expensive to "fix", but again nothing has been confirmed by the court and/or settlement agreement. The 2nd gen diesels include the DEF (Ad Blue trademarked) Urea system. Once again speculative reports suggest these are "fixable" with various options from a combination of hardware & software to only a minor software change. I remain hopeful that next week we begin to see light at the end of the tunnel and can start having a factually based conversation on real options and a path forward.
Agree. Let the light appear!!!
Old 12-09-2016, 07:43 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

I love my first gen Touareg TDI. I just had it detailed and it looks so nice even with 122k miles on the odo. It drives like new. I suppose if a buyback is offered at above NADA value with penalties added, I'd be quite tempted to sell.

I'm committed to avoiding a car payment though, so am leery of what vehicle I could buy for $20-$30k which would give me the DD experience of this nice SUV. I'm thinking of a used Toyota or Lexus SUV, or maybe even ponying up extra cash to buy a new Macan or CPO'd CD. The best scenario would be a fix and I keep driving the VW.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:54 AM
docdent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All 3.0 diesels had adblue. That is what made them "clean"
Old 12-09-2016, 09:24 AM
tmack2012
Advanced

Originally Posted by tmack2012
http://www.leftlanenews.com/germany-...ice-93506.html

wtf. Could things get any more complicated (if these tips or leads have any substance)

Info for the link got truncated. Here's the headline :

"Germany investigating Porsche for use of cheat device"
Old 12-09-2016, 09:24 AM
tmack2012
Advanced

The *gasoline" engines are under scrutiny now.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:26 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...oreUserAgent=1

Don't destroy evidence before a hearing.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:54 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...oreUserAgent=1

Don't destroy evidence before a hearing.
So, if nothing is settle on the 18th, then there is a hearing on the 22nd to get Mr. Sanchez be deposed again?
Old 12-09-2016, 10:16 PM
petery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hurry up! I need to replace the tires pretty soon...
Old 12-09-2016, 10:34 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,087 Posts

and my 40k is coming up. oh well, need to do it.

man i really don't want to sell the car.

Was at my dealer this afternoon and talking to someone there who DOES know (a little) they still have no timeline or direction on the plan. They will get to resell the unsold cars as 'used' ASSUMING they can be fixed. He's got a dozen or so of them sitting in storage.

very frustrating situation as the diesel was a significant seller for them.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:34 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
very frustrating situation as the diesel was a significant seller for them.
My dealer told me 1 out of 4 new Cayennes sold was diesel at the dealership before the debacle. Hard to think there will not be a demand for the vehicle used.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:27 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Yep saw the same article this AM.

http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diese...n=awdailydrive

This is truly turning into the gift that keeps on giving!
Originally Posted by chsu74
My dealer told me 1 out of 4 new Cayennes sold was diesel at the dealership before the debacle. Hard to think there will not be a demand for the vehicle used.
Hard to think there will given how long this has been going on and what the fix or resolution will ever be..no one knows. Uncertainty is definitely not good for any market..whether that is stocks, cars, commodities, etc. Buyers do want to know what they are getting for their hard earned cash..well most of them do.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue