Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:26 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DNorby
I am interested in buying a used diesel but I think all of these are a bit overpriced, especially the gasoline versions of the base model. I made an offer to a Porsche dealer in NC, NC does not requires emissions testing of diesels, but they did not get back as promised, probably awaiting some news.

Does anyone have any idea of how the diesel version of this car will be affected by resale in the future? Will Porsche just take them away and sell them in some other country? I would like to have one, I am a bottom feeder at this point-no insult to owners who really love this car but I think the gas versions are way overpriced in the used market, at least by the dealers, and the diesels are hard to find-maybe that will change soon?
Hard to say what future prices will be, so I'd call it a speculative investment, if you are looking to flip it for profit.

In the Rocky Mountain Region, NADA, Kelly and Black book prices have either increased or depreciated slower than gas versions since the debacle hit in Sep '15, until August when they showed a dip. Dips are usual at that time of year as new models arrive.
Some dealers have waiting lists for used Diesel Cayennes, while others hate them - and have never developed a market. They will never have a demand, offer a good trade, or even like to work on them. (Probably remembering the 1980 GM Cadillac et al diesel.) And visa versa regarding dealer preferences.
So there are pockets of Diesel Demand and visa versa.

It's kind of like buying and selling a 4WD - buy in Texas where 4WD is in low demand, and sell in the Rocky Mountains where the demand is high.
Or just get a CD if you can find one at your price.

But watch this forum and online news to keep up on latest legal development. It will be at least a few months before there is anything concrete, however.

As far as selling in a third world country, it's possible but unlikely because the World is wanting VW to fix the atmosphere that they have damaged. Off the road and destroyed, or fixed, is most likely.
Selling to the EU is also unlikely because their Tier 6 regs are essentially the same as current regs in the U.S.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:35 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Cayenne
That is also what the majority of CD owners demand.
Perhaps you should speak for yourself and not "the majority of CD owners".

Unless you've communicated with enough to know, you're just blowing smoke....
Old 10-24-2016, 12:33 AM
solrac6262
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

+1buy back.
Skiahh not sure why you are not upset with Porsche, this was a big fraud.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:18 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr Cayenne
I am referring about what I and others in this forum report based on what they have heard from their dealers. Check out many other forums including T reg and buy back my Tdi.

Why do you have problem with my impression about majority of owners asking for a buyback? Be open minded. Choice is good.
The Treg and TDI forums aren't Porsche forums. How many CD owners hang out there and tell you they want a buyback?

I have an problem - with anyone - who spouts "SUGs", or Sweeping Unsupported Generalizations. There are what, 15,000 or 20,000 CDs out there (I don't know the total diesel sales numbers; correct me if I'm way off base there), so unless you have been conducting polls and keeping track of a "stasticsally significant" number of CD owners, then that's what you're doing.

Originally Posted by solrac6262
+1buy back.
Skiahh not sure why you are not upset with Porsche, this was a big fraud.
Oh, I'm upset with Porsche. But I'm also pretty practical. Railing on an internet forum, calling people who disagree with you names and otherwise disparaging them, and generally behaving like a spoiled child does nothing whatsoever to change the course of what's going to happen.

Will there be a buyback? I suspect so. Personally, I'd rather they fix the damn thing and make it work the way it should, but my hopes of that are pretty dim at this point. It's a great vehicle; that's why we bought it. But, we've also figured out our plan of action if they're going to require/force a buyback. We've checked out a bunch of options and are pretty sure we're all set to act if, and when we have to turn in the keys.

Do companies cheat? Probably a lot more than we will ever know. Does it make it right? Of course not.

When the proposed settlement is released, then we can all make informed decisions on whether it's "good enough". If not, STF up, opt out and sue them yourself. Don't whine about it. If it's satisfactory, accept it and move on. There's really not much more that we can do about things than that.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:48 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
I just turned in our VW TDI to dealer as it in the que for the Buy Back which will happen in the near future. So this will be my last post on this subject and I wish the CD owners best of luck that your outcome meets your expectations.

I had my accountant contact the VW Buy Back number that I have previously posted. She was called back as the hold time was ~5 hrs. Summary FWIW:
+ Buy Back is a vehicle sale to VWNA.
+ Buy Back is not Trade In.
+ VW may have additional incentives to entice the Buy Back customers to buy another VW. In our case, I have no interest as this was my daughter's first new car. The ship sailed Dec 2015 when I bought her a new Prius.

Regarding taxes. We will be losing on this deal albeit significantly less than the depreciation curve. So the math...You have all sold vehicles and may have gained or lost on the deal...and you know what to do...

I am out with VW.
+1
Yes that is what I gleaned from the new reports and what I have heard from others including my close friend who also is engaged with having his vehicle bought back by VW.
Originally Posted by visitador
Well, it is a a settlement for a property loss, right? I see it more of whether you got a capital gain or loss. Since there is no way VW is going to pay more than your purchase price (your basis), there is no gain to be taxed.
Not a tax guy or accountant but as I understand it the vehicle once sold back to VW is considered and treated as a property sale by which you gained income for IRS purposes. So you'll get a tax bill for that portion VW pays you. Now you may be able to offset that as a loss on your taxes and such due to the diminished value of the property but that is a discussion for your tax guy.

VW of course will be require to report those paid and how much of course to the govt. Most likely this will be used by them to offset their business losses due to this debacle as a future write off. Off course we'd be crazy to think they will just give out a couple of billion $$$ without a way to offset or claw back some portion of it so I would expect them to report their buy back payments accordingly.
Originally Posted by DNorby
I am interested in buying a used diesel but I think all of these are a bit overpriced, especially the gasoline versions of the base model. I made an offer to a Porsche dealer in NC, NC does not requires emissions testing of diesels, but they did not get back as promised, probably awaiting some news.

Does anyone have any idea of how the diesel version of this car will be affected by resale in the future? Will Porsche just take them away and sell them in some other country? I would like to have one, I am a bottom feeder at this point-no insult to owners who really love this car but I think the gas versions are way overpriced in the used market, at least by the dealers, and the diesels are hard to find-maybe that will change soon?
Its a buyers beware market I would think. No one on this forum can predict how it will go and when/if Porsche will sell these 3.0L diesel's to the US. My guess is to find a non-Porsche dealer who is willing to sell you a car if you really want one! How that will play for fixing the issue and retrofiting a fix and any emissions issues will be determined later. As others have said they are sure the cars will be supported by Porsche since the other Cayenne models will still be sold and many parts are interchangeable but valuation is unknown and in some areas and markets could possibly fall quite a bit since the CD has been discontinued for the US market by Audi as well as all TDI cars for the next 2-3 model years and their return seems unlikely according to VW's announcements.
Originally Posted by Searcher356
You may be correct on the buyback - there may well be a form that is issued, for you to file with the IRS, which you would then supply with other documentation that increases your cost basis. Even if not a form, it may be looked at like and insurance payment, which may have an impact.

But on the trade-in, if the dealer takes a trade-in, you get the sales tax advantage - only taxed on the Trade Difference. No matter if the dealer keeps or wholesales out the trade. This would be true also if you went to an completely un-associated dealer, say Hyundai, who then wholesales the car to a Porsche dealer. Whatever and wherever they get the best trade is good for the deal.

There has been notice that VW will allow dealers who accept trades, to collect the settlement prices, so this should hasten things along and allow us to get an increased value. IF it turns out to be workable, and if it materializes in the Real World.
BTW, dealers don't title trades in their name - they just assign titles to the next buyer, whether it's a wholesale or retail buyer. I assume that Porsche would be the wholesale buyer here, unless the Court slips something that prevents it.
See above quote by Igooz. Looks like VW will not consider it a trade even if you get another car. The buy back is a separate transaction. Your new VW is a new car purchase. Thus the likely tax implications on any actions.
Originally Posted by skiahh
Agreed on the surface. If you do the buyback, you sell your vehicle to PCNA (or VW directly) and then you purchase from the dealer. Two separate transactions and you pay the full sales tax hit.

However, my comments were based on a post someone made a while ago saying dealers can also participate in the buyback for cars they own. I can't find the post and don't know which document it was contained in, but if true, your dealer could give you a trade in value equal to the buyback, in which case, they are buying the vehicle from you and can give you the trade-in credit. And then they sell it back to PCNA/VW for the buyback amount.

Extra steps, to be sure, and not something most dealers would likely do, I'm guessing (then again, there is that one dealer who gave one of our members a CD loaner for a year, so....). If it meant a deal, they might be willing, and the buyer gets the tax savings. At 8.9% here, that's not a small amount!

I disagree. You'll be selling something for which you paid more, so it's not income, it's selling something at a loss from what you paid. Not income in any way, unless the compensation payment takes the final settlement above what you paid. As stated, it's a simple buy and sell transaction for a product.

Now, if you took a loan and get that forgiven, that may trigger income consequences. That's what happened in the housing crisis. The logic is the bank gave you money that you didn't have to repay, thus making it income.
See my comment above. My friend has a VW 2.0L TDI Jetta wagon and he was told this weekend that the buy back will be a simple transaction...drop off your car, fill out paperwork to include some type of tax form and a check will be issued by VW along with a claim/confirmation # of some sorts. If you buy another VW or other car on the dealer's lot...that is a separate transaction with all monies required to normally purchase and title a vehicle. If dealers give any additional credits toward the new vehicle that is on them not VW. Of course if I were a dealer with tons of TDIs on my lot and decreased business it may make sense to offer additional advantages (maintenance, $$ off MSRP, etc) to create that additional transaction and sales to help my bottom line. Also the loss created by the buy back of your vehicle may result in a decreased tax burden if properly treated on one taxes but that will be an individual case and as I am not an accountant, I'd reserve how that would occur to those in the know.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:08 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Since I'm in cali tax trades mean nothing here. But.

You pay 80k for vehicle
You sell it back for say... 70k for settlement
There is no gain there.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:48 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

"SUGs", or Sweeping Unsupported Generalizations.
I like this term, I'll have to remember it for future use. Too much of that going down on the internet.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:22 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

[QUOTE=mdrobc1213;13696239]+1

Not a tax guy or accountant but as I understand it the vehicle once sold back to VW is considered and treated as a property sale by which you gained income for IRS purposes. So you'll get a tax bill for that portion VW pays you. Now you may be able to offset that as a loss on your taxes and such due to the diminished value of the property but that is a discussion for your tax guy.

VW of course will be require to report those paid and how much of course to the govt. Most likely this will be used by them to offset their business losses due to this debacle as a future write off. Off course we'd be crazy to think they will just give out a couple of billion $$$ without a way to offset or claw back some portion of it so I would expect them to report their buy back payments accordingly.

/QUOTE]

As Spyrex said, you just forgot that that property cost you something = the value of the CD when new. If you offset that, there is actually a loss...Unless VW is so generous as to pay you more than what you originally paid.

There is a portion that may be subject to federal income tax: Any restitution amount that is paid separately from the buy back. I think there is an amount in the 2.0 settlement for both owners who want to keep their TDIs and those who are taking the buy back.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:59 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I have deleted a number of posts which provided no useful information, instead they seem to de designed to stir emotions. we call this "trolling" and it is against forum rules. If more appear continue to report them as many of you have done already.

Regards,
Old 10-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
........See above quote by Igooz. Looks like VW will not consider it a trade even if you get another car. The buy back is a separate transaction. Your new VW is a new car purchase. Thus the likely tax implications on any actions.......
Igooz's accountant didn't investigate the option of trading, at least it wasn't mentioned.
It's true that if you opt for the buyback, then that's a separate transaction.
But if you trade (in this case a 2.0 car), then VW will allow the dealer to receive the same buy-back incentives as a private owner.
See http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...utonews-weekly

From that article, which includes a list of concessions to VW Dealers -
■ The right to sell back used diesels without an approved emissions fix under the same terms that individual owners get and to sell back new diesels without a fix at dealers' net wholesale cost
This means (if it actually comes to pass) that the VW Dealer, in dealing for your trade-in, could allow you the full incentivized amount for your trade and be reimbursed when they wholesale the trade to VW.

It's possible that a VW Dealer could purchase a VW that was traded at another franchise and receive the enhanced price - but yet to be seen.
IMO that scenario - having VW dealers help dispose of the offending vehicles - would be viewed favorably by the Court. But probably not by Dealers, who would be losing their customers to other brands as a "Conquest Sale."
Old 10-24-2016, 03:06 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 182 Posts

Was a "fix" plan due today from VAG? I know something was due this week.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:49 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
What was due this week (actually on or before Tuesday, Oct 25th) was the judge's final decision on the proposed settlement plan for the 2.0L cars. If it is not released today, we can reasonably expect it tomorrow; if it is not released tomorrow, then there was an issue with the judge's modification to the proposed settlement and it required further discussion with the parties - highly doubtful but not outside of the realm of possibilities given what has transpired thus far.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:03 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Originally Posted by stronbl
What was due this week (actually on or before Tuesday, Oct 25th) was the judge's final decision on the proposed settlement plan for the 2.0L cars. If it is not released today, we can reasonably expect it tomorrow; if it is not released tomorrow, then there was an issue with the judge's modification to the proposed settlement and it required further discussion with the parties - highly doubtful but not outside of the realm of possibilities given what has transpired thus far.
I think the proposal is due to the court this week (Friday?) so he can review it ahead of the 4 November hearing date. I think, for us, that court date is when we'll get our first peek at the direction of things to come.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:07 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Searcher356
Igooz's accountant didn't investigate the option of trading, at least it wasn't mentioned.
It's true that if you opt for the buyback, then that's a separate transaction.
But if you trade (in this case a 2.0 car), then VW will allow the dealer to receive the same buy-back incentives as a private owner.
See http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...utonews-weekly

From that article, which includes a list of concessions to VW Dealers -
■ The right to sell back used diesels without an approved emissions fix under the same terms that individual owners get and to sell back new diesels without a fix at dealers' net wholesale cost
This means (if it actually comes to pass) that the VW Dealer, in dealing for your trade-in, could allow you the full incentivized amount for your trade and be reimbursed when they wholesale the trade to VW.

It's possible that a VW Dealer could purchase a VW that was traded at another franchise and receive the enhanced price - but yet to be seen.
IMO that scenario - having VW dealers help dispose of the offending vehicles - would be viewed favorably by the Court. But probably not by Dealers, who would be losing their customers to other brands as a "Conquest Sale."
Yep, that's the point I was looking for previously.

It's a question of whether the dealer is willing to take the extra steps for you.

And, as someone posted before, there's the buyback and the compensation amount. If it's structured that way, I would have to say the compensation amount couldn't be included in such a trade arrangement.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:30 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 455 Posts

Yep, that's the point I was looking for previously.

It's a question of whether the dealer is willing to take the extra steps for you.

And, as someone posted before, there's the buyback and the compensation amount. If it's structured that way, I would have to say the compensation amount couldn't be included in such a trade arrangement.
I still don't see how this ends up as a boon for anybody having to through this process and fear that $$ will be lost outside of what normally the owner would have suffered under regular depreciation. Haven't seen the turn in values but fear they'll be fair NOT great and then the unknown tax issues that won't likely crop up until you're either sitting at the dealer or at your accountant's table just don't make me feel warm and happy if I was an owner. Thankfully I am not but my friends that are however are really concerned that they will loose quite a bit on their purchase and some will probably never return to the VW-Audi-Porsche brand which is kinda sad.

One thing for sure though is it ain't the old days anymore...according to this article the EPA has only approved ONE diesel maker's vehicles so far for 2017 - Jaguar. That's crazy.. BMW soon will follow but what about Mercedes and others. Understand doing due diligence here but wonder if this is a bit overboard. I mean a year out I would think they's be pushing a bit harder for more approvals. Just saying...I know some of you have had similar thoughts/concerns.

http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diese...diesel-hostage
http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diese...final-approval

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 10-25-2016 at 01:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue