Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 10:46 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Cayenne

Meeting current emisions with the 2.0 tdi engine was not financially feasible and hence these cars will never see a fix coming from VW. I would guess the story with 3.0 Tdi is very similar
Speculation on your part. Certainly your statement that the 2.0 liter cars will "never see a fix" is simply false at this point. VW has until 2018 to develop a fix.

This may very well come to pass, but it would be nice if you didn't mix fact with hyperbole.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:56 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Speculation on your part. Certainly your statement that the 2.0 liter cars will "never see a fix" is simply false at this point. VW has until 2018 to com up with a fix. This may very well come to pass, but it would be nice if you didn't mix fact with hyperbole.
Actually as shocking as it may be, I agree with him on that point.

As Searcher has already pointed out, the rules are nebulous at best. Unless there are specific reasonable guidelines laid down in the final orders from the court, the EPA/CARB will be able to drag it out as long as they want.

So I agree we'll likely never see a fix as one of two things happen. My bet is that after the 3.0 case is resolved the attention will die down and this will get swept under the rug and all sides will move on after a quiet settlement. The other option is that they keep moving the target (or they set ridiculous limits) which prevents VW from being able to deliver.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:58 PM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 10-23-2016, 12:08 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Oh really? And there has not been any speculation in this thread
Give me a break, what I say is very likely and you know it:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/20/v...inate-tdi-fix/

Now coming back to you, why are you guys trash talking about the judge?
Your post:
"Reading the transcript last night, the Judge is definitely enjoying the spotlight"
Evidence? Or is it just BS? And thell me again what is the intent here? That was in response to these comments :

"If you watch video snippets, Judge Breyer is clearly enjoying his new-found notoriety"

And this:
""It is a career highlight for someone who had long aspired to be center stage, just not always in the courtroom.
While his brother followed their father, a longtime counsel to the San Francisco school board, into law, Judge Breyer initially hoped to pursue a career in acting. After graduating from Harvard University with an economics degree, he spent the summer auditioning, including on Broadway."

None of these comments bother you I guess. But do you guys have no sense of shame talking behind the Judge, making BS comments?
There has been speculation, including by me, but labeled as speculation. Not stated as fact, as you do. I even said it very may well happen, but unlike you, I can separate fact from fiction when I make statements.

Umm, not picking on the judge. You want Evidence? Actually read the transcripts yourself instead of relying on news outlets to summarize it for you. Look for the line where he says to a commenter: "no sub rebuttal? Good, because you know I am always going to have the last word in these tête-Ã*-tête".

It's not a BS comment, it's his own words.

I have nothing against the judge, not so I besmirch him for enjoying a little notoriety. I'd be doing the same. I think he's actually doing a good job. And I like the precedence that he is setting in this case. It bodes well for us to get the maximum flexibility and payout. But if you want to think that I and others are against you, go right on ahead and think that.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:11 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
Actually as shocking as it may be, I agree with him on that point.

As Searcher has already pointed out, the rules are nebulous at best. Unless there are specific reasonable guidelines laid down in the final orders from the court, the EPA/CARB will be able to drag it out as long as they want.

So I agree we'll likely never see a fix as one of two things happen. My bet is that after the 3.0 case is resolved the attention will die down and this will get swept under the rug and all sides will move on after a quiet settlement. The other option is that they keep moving the target (or they set ridiculous limits) which prevents VW from being able to deliver.
I agree it's likely. It's not fact, however. I take issue when someone represents their opinion as fact.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:37 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 451 Posts

I think there is a loop hole that the dealers might be looking to exploit.

This is speculation, but the impression I got from the article about dealers doing trades for the buyback is that they do the trade for the full buy back amount and then title the cars to themselves. Then VW will do the actual buy back from them.

If that is the case, that may allow them to get around the tax issue. How possible that is will of course depend on each state's tax laws.
Yes most of it seems to be speculation and we won't totally/fully know until we know and they tell us huh? But I think re: the point on taxes...if you trade your 2.0L car (and maybe at some point 3.0L) in for another vehicle...then you're paying full price for taxes on said new vehicle. No trade in deduction off the new vehicle and taxes paid on the reduced price of the new vehicle. VW/dealer will take your car and give you said stated amount for that car as a separate transaction is how I see it going down. Then you could buy whatever vehicle you preferred using the buy back $$$ if so desired.

For those who take the buy back...am sure there will be tax forms to be submitted to Uncle Sam to document the amount VW has so graciously given you for their errors which will trigger an increased tax bill also come next April. No way likely around that one unless legislation is passed probably. Similar occurred during the housing crisis in 2008-2009+ where many had to short sell their properties...granted they got out of the underwater properties and eased their financial burdens but often received a tax form I think it was 1098-I that listed their resolved/absolved debt as income which they were liable for taxes. So don't know how this will eventually play out for VW but probably somewhat similar unfortunately....Guess VW will see the same for the 3.0L solution whenever it occurs.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:49 AM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am interested in buying a used diesel but I think all of these are a bit overpriced, especially the gasoline versions of the base model. I made an offer to a Porsche dealer in NC, NC does not requires emissions testing of diesels, but they did not get back as promised, probably awaiting some news.

Does anyone have any idea of how the diesel version of this car will be affected by resale in the future? Will Porsche just take them away and sell them in some other country? I would like to have one, I am a bottom feeder at this point-no insult to owners who really love this car but I think the gas versions are way overpriced in the used market, at least by the dealers, and the diesels are hard to find-maybe that will change soon?
Old 10-23-2016, 11:08 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts
Default Taxes

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yes most of it seems to be speculation and we won't totally/fully know until we know and they tell us huh? But I think re: the point on taxes...if you trade your 2.0L car (and maybe at some point 3.0L) in for another vehicle...then you're paying full price for taxes on said new vehicle. No trade in deduction off the new vehicle and taxes paid on the reduced price of the new vehicle. VW/dealer will take your car and give you said stated amount for that car as a separate transaction is how I see it going down. Then you could buy whatever vehicle you preferred using the buy back $$$ if so desired.

For those who take the buy back...am sure there will be tax forms to be submitted to Uncle Sam to document the amount VW has so graciously given you for their errors which will trigger an increased tax bill also come next April. No way likely around that one unless legislation is passed probably. Similar occurred during the housing crisis in 2008-2009+ where many had to short sell their properties...granted they got out of the underwater properties and eased their financial burdens but often received a tax form I think it was 1098-I that listed their resolved/absolved debt as income which they were liable for taxes. So don't know how this will eventually play out for VW but probably somewhat similar unfortunately....Guess VW will see the same for the 3.0L solution whenever it occurs.
I just turned in our VW TDI to dealer as it in the que for the Buy Back which will happen in the near future. So this will be my last post on this subject and I wish the CD owners best of luck that your outcome meets your expectations.

I had my accountant contact the VW Buy Back number that I have previously posted. She was called back as the hold time was ~5 hrs. Summary FWIW:
+ Buy Back is a vehicle sale to VWNA.
+ Buy Back is not Trade In.
+ VW may have additional incentives to entice the Buy Back customers to buy another VW. In our case, I have no interest as this was my daughter's first new car. The ship sailed Dec 2015 when I bought her a new Pruus.

Regarding taxes. We will be losing on this deal albeit significantly less than the depreciation curve. So the math...You have all sold vehicles and may have gained or lost on the deal...and you know what to do...

I am out with VW.

Last edited by Igooz; 10-23-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:08 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Y

Well, it is a a settlement for a property loss, right? I see it more of whether you got a capital gain or loss. Since there is no way VW is going to pay more than your purchase price (your basis), there is no gain to be taxed.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:16 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

As an aside about the purported behavior of the class action judge. Since I don't have a video or audio tape of the proceedings, I can't determine whether he is leaning towards one party or the other. I can assess from the transcript that he wants it to move as fast as possible with a settlement. You will notice that he was not buying the VW attorney's response that they were moving as fast as they could for a technical solution. He immediately set a deadline, told them to go on with settlement talks, and told "our" attorneys to prepare for a trial next Summer.

Remember that usually in a trial, the wrongful party will try to put motions to delay, delay, delay. Because time is money and people start getting tired and just want to get it over. I think the judge is doing a great balancing act.

[As an aside, Wish you all a happy Monday Oct. 24th - Maybe that is the day we'll know if a technical solution is feasible]
Old 10-23-2016, 01:58 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not that easy, the comment that had been going between you and the other guy had been about the Judge's past and his notoriety. Why is he notorious? What is the evidence for his notoriety? You have been agreement with these comments since you said nothing about the inappropriateness of these comments and added further that he definetely enjoys spotlight

What made you come to this conclusion? And then you claim you are not picking on Judge. Really? If this is not picking on Judge, then what is?

You mentioned that you have evidence that you are not picking on Judge...... yet you did not have any. Instead you were trying to prove that he was enjoying his spotlight that you claim.....without any success (hardly contained my laugh when I saw your evidence BTW..... what you said made no sense. Even funnier was the line when you were saying that this is not a BS comment..... I lost it there)

So there has been a habit of name calling /framing of 3rd parties in this forum; Bertel Schmtt was accused of being a hired pen, things has been said about Nathan Borney, goverment agencies, some media companies including Der Spiegel, the Judge and the list goes on. Not by many, just by a couple of people.

And funnily enough, these comments immediately surface after these parties say something that is against VAG's interests in this trial. Every.single.time. Makes people wonder...why?

I did not read the transcripts, I actually followed the court, minute by minute live through T-Reg forums. Someone paid there to listen to it and transcribed to people immediately. For sure there was no notoriety on Judge's part or him acting in a way as implied as a person who had long aspired to be center stage. These are bull**** comments with an agenda behind.

So Needsdecaf you claim "unlike me you can differentiate facts from fiction"..... and yet you accept all above BS while adding your scheisse, besmearing and trash talking as facts? My gosh no wonder why we have differences of opinion.

Yet again, of course it does not bother you at all to besmear and attack a US District Judge and all these other people behind their back without a base or a fact. Let me gladly tell you then: That makes you and I share different ethics codes, on top of differences of opinion.

Above all maybe it is you who is enjoying your new found notoriety
This truly makes me laugh. If you really think that is all true, then I truly feel sorry for you.

If you think I have anything against the judge, I feel sorry for you.

If you think I am defending VW, I feel even more sorry for you.

If you think I don't want a buyback offered, then you really are mis-reading things.

I guess what I'm saying is that I really feel sorry about you and your conspiracy theories. You read so much intent in other's posts that is simply not there. Not sure why you have to go about making enemies and spreading misinformation. We're all on the same team here, why can't you deal with the fact that not everyone here has the same exact opinion as you? Why do you state your opinions as facts?

Oh yeah, still waiting for you to post where you saw that Porsche was never offering a buyback.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Feel sorry for yourself.

Now I understand that you have to lie as I did not use the word "never". Did they offer a buyback in the prior court date? No. I know you no comprende. Work on your comprehension skills.

Work also on an explanation why you and your friend was making bull**** comments that I have been following upon. Or were they just "locker room talk?"

Enligten us why it is important that the Judge was following an acting carrier? How do you guys come up with the fact that he has found his new notoriety? What exactly do you mean when you said he is definitely enjoying his spotlight?

I understand it is hard to come up with an answer......since these are all bull**** comments. But I will help you out. You can apologize that you have made inapparopriate/deplorable public comments about a well respected Judge in a public forum and ask for forgiveness. You can call this another unfortunate moment of your life when someone pointed out that you are talking behind people.

And you can say something in the lines of "I could not hold myself since the Judge was Inconveniencing my VAG" when explaining your mal intent..... Which would be nothing more than confirming what everyone else know.

See I offer you a ton of help.

But do not expect "locker room talk" to fly off. It did not last time based on recent evidence.
If you think I have anything to apologize for, you'll be waiting a long time. Again, if you think anything I said is offensive or deplorable, especially in light of the things you have said about members of this forum, well then I just don't have much to say.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:08 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You may be correct on the buyback - there may well be a form that is issued, for you to file with the IRS, which you would then supply with other documentation that increases your cost basis. Even if not a form, it may be looked at like and insurance payment, which may have an impact.

But on the trade-in, if the dealer takes a trade-in, you get the sales tax advantage - only taxed on the Trade Difference. No matter if the dealer keeps or wholesales out the trade. This would be true also if you went to an completely un-associated dealer, say Hyundai, who then wholesales the car to a Porsche dealer. Whatever and wherever they get the best trade is good for the deal.

There has been notice that VW will allow dealers who accept trades, to collect the settlement prices, so this should hasten things along and allow us to get an increased value. IF it turns out to be workable, and if it materializes in the Real World.
BTW, dealers don't title trades in their name - they just assign titles to the next buyer, whether it's a wholesale or retail buyer. I assume that Porsche would be the wholesale buyer here, unless the Court slips something that prevents it.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:14 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
As an aside about the purported behavior of the class action judge. Since I don't have a video or audio tape of the proceedings, I can't determine whether he is leaning towards one party or the other. I can assess from the transcript that he wants it to move as fast as possible with a settlement. You will notice that he was not buying the VW attorney's response that they were moving as fast as they could for a technical solution. He immediately set a deadline, told them to go on with settlement talks, and told "our" attorneys to prepare for a trial next Summer.

Remember that usually in a trial, the wrongful party will try to put motions to delay, delay, delay. Because time is money and people start getting tired and just want to get it over. I think the judge is doing a great balancing act.

[As an aside, Wish you all a happy Monday Oct. 24th - Maybe that is the day we'll know if a technical solution is feasible]
I agree, he's doing a pretty bang up job. Not sure how he convinced VAG to roll over and play ball. Suspect we will never know what happened behind closed doors. But whatever was said, this is a pretty quick settlement, and would appear to be pretty fair to the owners.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 10-24-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:25 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
I think mdrobc1213 is correct. We are getting ahead of the game but what the 2.0 settlement is doing is to give the owner a courtesy. It is a legal property settlement and not a sale of property, right? VW is not the buyer but the original seller who sold you illegal property. The owner is basically giving back the illegal property in return for enough cash to compensate him for the illegality. So, rather than wait in line to have VW buy back your car, the settlement seems to allow the dealer to do that on your behalf if you are buying another vehicle. Just don't think of any buy back amount as trade-in value. There is nothing to trade-in.

[as an aside, if there is a property settlement for the 3.0, don't expect to be rich. I think, at most, it just makes the value of our cars even as if there was no illegality plus some $ to compensate for the time period when we could not trade-in/sell them]
I think there is a loop hole that the dealers might be looking to exploit.

This is speculation, but the impression I got from the article about dealers doing trades for the buyback is that they do the trade for the full buy back amount and then title the cars to themselves. Then VW will do the actual buy back from them.

If that is the case, that may allow them to get around the tax issue. How possible that is will of course depend on each state's tax laws.
Agreed on the surface. If you do the buyback, you sell your vehicle to PCNA (or VW directly) and then you purchase from the dealer. Two separate transactions and you pay the full sales tax hit.

However, my comments were based on a post someone made a while ago saying dealers can also participate in the buyback for cars they own. I can't find the post and don't know which document it was contained in, but if true, your dealer could give you a trade in value equal to the buyback, in which case, they are buying the vehicle from you and can give you the trade-in credit. And then they sell it back to PCNA/VW for the buyback amount.

Extra steps, to be sure, and not something most dealers would likely do, I'm guessing (then again, there is that one dealer who gave one of our members a CD loaner for a year, so....). If it meant a deal, they might be willing, and the buyer gets the tax savings. At 8.9% here, that's not a small amount!

I disagree. You'll be selling something for which you paid more, so it's not income, it's selling something at a loss from what you paid. Not income in any way, unless the compensation payment takes the final settlement above what you paid. As stated, it's a simple buy and sell transaction for a product.

Now, if you took a loan and get that forgiven, that may trigger income consequences. That's what happened in the housing crisis. The logic is the bank gave you money that you didn't have to repay, thus making it income.

Last edited by skiahh; 10-23-2016 at 03:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue