Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 02:31 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

An article from circa 2010 about VAG's plans for plug-in electrics:
http://www.plugincars.com/diesel-lov...lan-52656.html
This was from the timeframe that VW was working with M-B and Peugeot to develop DEF technology into their 2.0 liter cars.

Then of course, is Dr. Porsche's 1898 Lohner-Porsche victorious racing hybrid:
http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=642
and:
http://www.hybrid-vehicle.org/hybrid...e-porsche.html

To some this may be off topic, but we have a few more weeks before anything other than conjecture MIGHT be released, so why not add to the fun?
Old 10-01-2016, 08:20 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Don't we have about 200 miles of range when our low fuel light comes on??
You have a better foot than I do then Mine usually says around 110 left when the light pops on.

I don't think electric is the short term solution, but I'd strongly consider a Model S if I had somewhere to charge it (townhouse with street parking). It's an impressive car.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:32 PM
lbcgolf
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm a CD owner, but haven't had much to add beyond what's already been said... which is A LOT!!! lol

Electric car topic here is a bit off topic, but I'd like to offer my 2 cents.

I've also wondered why the manufacturers haven't yet brought out a diesel-hybrid. The most popular explanation that I got was that in a parallel hybrid setup, the torque curves were too similar, i.e., plenty down low, but peters out at high rpms. Gas engines OTOH are more complimentary to electric motors. Diesel engines used solely to recharge the batteries, I dunno, but the tech's been around since WWII subs, eh?

Infrastructure is an interesting issue. I think I read in the WSJ recently, that while there are plenty of issues to solve before the electric car can go mainstream, consider this: It takes up a lot less land and capital to setup charging stations than gas stations. No expensive gas pumps, big storage tanks, or maybe even a convenience store. Just a few L2 chargers in parking lots with the means to collect payment.

It's interesting that the pros and cons of gas/diesel v. electric cars is asymmetric. I mean, they invest so much in the R&D of batteries... how much charge it can hold, how fast it can be recharged, weight, etc., in what amounts to a gas tank in a regular car. On the flip side, electric motors are very compact and have fewer moving parts than an ICE, so less moving parts = less maintenance costs.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned that anything can be spinned, I guess if you are a cheerleader. For the ones who claim CD prices has been going up for the past several months (yes there are people who claimed that), this can be spinned as "Yay, finally we will own a LIMITED EDITION Porsche" (:^D

https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-wont...-20-1787311637
Old 10-02-2016, 07:12 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Again there is an "awful lot of people" who are turning in their belowed vehicles back to VW. Some people claimed "it might not be much", but every media outlet disagrees:
"Meanwhile, once-loyal Volkswagen owners have hopped on the buyout bandwagon in big numbers". I quoted exactly:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-buyout-offer/

Same will happen with CD, if they do not screw us behind our backs and give us a buyback option. Looking at their track record so far though, it is hard be hopeful.

"Here I have a fix for you.......no you will be the first one to see if it works......and I do not care about the tarnished name and second hand value of your orphan vehicle"

But none of this is important...because here see, see:
"Dr. Porsche's 1898 Lohner-Porsche victorious racing hybrid:
http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=642"

Thank you so much for posting press relases by Porsche under a topic that has been discussing what type of s...hole CD owners are in.....and of course you are not a cheerleader, of course.

....but I understand you are having fun, that is what you claim. Good for you.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:19 PM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

How about a group buy on a 55 gallon drum of Vaseline? Bend over and grab your ankles, boys.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:06 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Nobody has signed up to return their 2.0 diesels yet, because there isn't an approved plan.
The "awful lot of people" are those who have signed up to "have an option" to return their cars, pending the "fix," and the settlement.
They still have all the options - they are just getting in line (if there has to be a line), while they evaluate the alternatives, when they are firmed up.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:11 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

As we know, Elon Musk (Tesla) and a few dozen other Renewable advocates, banded together last December to let VW keep selling diesels without a fix.
But with strings - IN EXCHANGE for big investments in renewable infrastructure.
We'll see how that argument goes pretty soon (I hope).
https://electrek.co/2015/12/18/tesla...or-dieselgate/
Old 10-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Originally Posted by Searcher356
Nobody has signed up to return their 2.0 diesels yet, because there isn't an approved plan.
The "awful lot of people" are those who have signed up to "have an option" to return their cars, pending the "fix," and the settlement.
They still have all the options - they are just getting in line (if there has to be a line), while they evaluate the alternatives, when they are firmed up.
Why not improve in reading and comprehension, exact words from the article:
"A federal judge could sign off on the settlement on Oct. 18, after the U.S. Justice Department, Federal Trade Commission and lawyers representing U.S. owners gave their approval yesterday"

There is an "approved plan" and the Judge is expected to sign on October 18th. I understand you are trying to spin it, but....

Why not tell post us some more Porsche press releases instead, you said you are having fun, no?

I would be heart broken if this ordeal is casting a shadow on your day for some reason.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:23 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Originally Posted by Searcher356
As we know, Elon Musk (Tesla) and a few dozen other Renewable advocates, banded together last December to let VW keep selling diesels without a fix.
But with strings - IN EXCHANGE for big investments in renewable infrastructure.
We'll see how that argument goes pretty soon (I hope).
https://electrek.co/2015/12/18/tesla...or-dieselgate/
Wow nice to see you are following and citing a web site that promotes Tesla big time. Nothing wrong with that BTW. I am not sold on electric cars as of yet, but I am open minded, can't judge before seeing what we will get.

I thought your only information resource was Autoweek though
Old 10-02-2016, 09:20 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
You have a better foot than I do then Mine usually says around 110 left when the light pops on.

I don't think electric is the short term solution, but I'd strongly consider a Model S if I had somewhere to charge it (townhouse with street parking). It's an impressive car.
Yeah- 200 is a bit of a stretch but I just did a 600 mile trip on a 3/4 of tank. I've gone on the Tesla website and read the eggheaded discussions on range strategies. Seems they have to keep the speed under 70 to go between 250-300 miles. Imagine us CD owners really caring about going 750 miles per tank or 710 miles...
Electric cars can fill a niche and can save tons of gasoline by replacing the short range urban fleet. I think the Tesla design rocks, no matter what makes it move.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:13 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Dr. Cayenne, could you PLEASE stop with the constant sarcasm? Please? It's really getting old.

I'm trying to be nicer than something I (regretfully) posted earlier. Over past few months, it seems like the vast majority of your posts are unnecessarily slamming Porsche. Not that they don't deserve it. But that dead horse has been beaten by you and others there's just no point.

It would be nice to keep the thread a little more informative and less hostile.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:30 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 104 Posts

Im holding on tight with front tires that need replaced, anyone else holding off on sinking $ into their rig, i would hate to put a new set and have to turn in
Old 10-03-2016, 10:53 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Naw. Just doing what is necessary. Changed four tires because oem goodyears were breaking in chunks. Have N0 Pirellis now.

The rest? I bought the maintenance program. So, using it as the miles pile up. I'll let the lawyers decide what I am due back. Did remind one of them that if there is a buyback, I want a pro rata refund of that.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:24 AM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Originally Posted by visitador
Naw. Just doing what is necessary. Changed four tires because oem goodyears were breaking in chunks. Have N0 Pirellis now.

The rest? I bought the maintenance program. So, using it as the miles pile up. I'll let the lawyers decide what I am due back. Did remind one of them that if there is a buyback, I want a pro rata refund of that.
Hey quick question. And if you can't disclose, that is fine.

It is my understanding that you are in touch with lawyers about this (also based on one of your prior posts). Do you have a feeling that we might have a fair chance of getting what we deserve? If not do they have an advice on how to proceed (for this second question "yes" or "no" is good enough, I will understand if you do not want to go to details).

Last edited by Dr Cayenne; 10-04-2016 at 01:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue