Sponsored By:

Cayenne Coding - The Ultimate Guide & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 11:16 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000RPM
Because the speedo shows 2 or 3 miles faster than you are actually going.

And what if he changed wheel/tire size?
As someone who is always above the speed limit, I like to know my accurate speed so that I can calibrate my excess.

As to changing wheels and tires, that's another reason for the calibration capability. YOuc oudl adjust the speedometer and odometer to match whatever you installed.

It also fries me that the cheapest Chevy has a more accurate speedometer than the most expensive Porsche.
The following users liked this post:
Mirrorslap (09-24-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 11:44 PM
9000RPM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
As someone who is always above the speed limit, I like to know my accurate speed so that I can calibrate my excess.

As to changing wheels and tires, that's another reason for the calibration capability. YOuc oudl adjust the speedometer and odometer to match whatever you installed.

It also fries me that the cheapest Chevy has a more accurate speedometer than the most expensive Porsche.
I heard it's due to a strange law over there. All German cars d this
Old 09-22-2019, 02:14 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

It's intentional. German law requires that speedometers never report a lower speed than the actual speed. So the manufacturers have a formula they use - a base offset of some number added to another percentage offset based on the speed of the vehicle. It results in almost any German car getting comments like "It doesn't feel like 80MPH" - and it's not. If you use a standalone GPS you'll find 80MPH indicated is actually closer to 75mph. BMW actually had a writeup about it many decades ago, explaining the formula they used and why. Also true on German motorcycles.

Strangely - the only German car I've owned that was accurate was my 955 Cayenne S.. I have no idea how it happened, but with new stock size 19" tires - it was dead accurate.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:17 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
...German law requires that speedometers never report a lower speed than the actual speed. .
You probably meant higher.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:14 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
It's intentional. German law requires that speedometers never report a lower speed than the actual speed. So the manufacturers have a formula they use - a base offset of some number added to another percentage offset based on the speed of the vehicle. It results in almost any German car getting comments like "It doesn't feel like 80MPH" - and it's not. If you use a standalone GPS you'll find 80MPH indicated is actually closer to 75mph. BMW actually had a writeup about it many decades ago, explaining the formula they used and why. Also true on German motorcycles.

Strangely - the only German car I've owned that was accurate was my 955 Cayenne S.. I have no idea how it happened, but with new stock size 19" tires - it was dead accurate.
I'm familiar with that bone-headed law. But often wondered whether it applies to German cars sold in America.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:01 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
You probably meant higher.
No, I meant EXACTLY what I said.

The speedometer can never report a LOWER speed than the actual vehicle speed, ie - it cannot show 65mph when the vehicle is going 80mph. That would allow an owner to file against the manufacturer for creating an unsafe condition - more speed than indicated. And I imagine it would be a valid appeal in case of a speeding ticket. It's perfectly OK for it to indicate 80mph when the vehicle is going 65mph. That creates a safer condition and certainly couldn't be used to appeal a speeding citation.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:57 AM
skinnytirez
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gabylonfive
I believe the original request to look into the boost parameter in the cluster was from someone running a Cobb tune (increasing boost targets via the engine sw.) I'm pretty certain changing the max boost in the cluster will just allow you to scale the reading properly so you can see your new actuals. Would be pretty sweet if it was that easy to increase boost though (though you'd likely need a new engine after if the DME didn't compensate fuel targets accordingly :P.)

If any CTT owners in the Bay Area want to give it a go I'd be happy to meet up and test.
I have a CTT- but live in Reno. Do you ever come up to Tahoe? I’ll buy beer
Old 09-24-2019, 02:58 AM
skinnytirez
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone with this working able to confirm if you can code the trailer light module to work? I just added the module and was planning to pay the stealership to code it... but if this would work it just pushes me that much closer to buying one.

...wish I hadn’t wasted my money on this durametric pos
subaru335i (05-18-2020)
Old 09-24-2019, 03:00 AM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnytirez

I hear you.... I think I'm gonna pull the trigger this week.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:14 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnytirez
Anyone with this working able to confirm if you can code the trailer light module to work? I just added the module and was planning to pay the stealership to code it... but if this would work it just pushes me that much closer to buying one.

Not sure if it needed an update or what... I just got my hands on an x.431 Launch. Was able to easily reset oil interval since I changed oil this past weekend. Next went into trailer and rear lid. With trailer it couldn't do anything. With rear lid looks like it's already coded for everything, but I'll check tomorrow again... maybe today cause I'm impatient.

I can tell you for sure that those PIWIS2 boxes from the internet work for sure for the trailer. That's how mine started working.

Update: after messing with this for 30-40 min, I followed directions here for windows up/down with remote- didn't work. Mirrors fold on lock - didn't work. Found clock light enabled, not sure if did anything. I'll check in the morning to see if it needed time to save, but as of now- none of this works. Only successful thing that is confirmed - I was able to reset oil interval since I have new oil and filter from the weekend.

Btw, someone asked about miles correction - I saw this option in somewhere on main page, went I to it to see what it says or does. It explains that it will add 1000km per point added after it shows you many Warnings. I didn't go past that as I only wanted to chime in with an answer for this raised question. In conclusion, I wouldn't mess with this at any point. I'm sure it voids warranties, no clue what else it would break. So stay away.

Morning update: the mirrors retract option was present this morning. Upon locking the car, mirrors did not retract though. I'll test again when return from work.

By the way.... was thinking about this - we can do another meet and those who have PIWIS and x.431 could bring it and help others with some coding. Just a thought and to make it a more productive meet.

Last edited by F SANE IL; 09-25-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:23 AM
sterod
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gabylonfive
Was able to get my hands on a 2018 Macan S this evening . Good news to report, the x431 connects to all modules properly and coding routines are present! I only had about 20 minutes to play around with this one until my buddy and I had to head to dinner, but I was able to browse through some of the modules and enable a few things:
Well this is very interesting, I have a 2018 Macan S in Toronto, Canada. I had found this website which lists the capabilities of the x431 on Porsche V23.60 and it does not list the 2018 Macan at all, and for the 2014-2017 it does list, it shows no coding features. http://qcar.x431.com/serial/layout.action

So, if you are saying its working then this website must be out of date or its unofficial. I'm tempted to bite the bullet and order one, as I was about to buy the clone PIWIS 3 for $1979 USD.

Can you tell me which model exactly (and a link if possible) you used so I can buy one to try out? I think its this one on Amazon.ca but I'd be open to a less expensive option of there was on.

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-26-2019, 02:28 PM
gabylonfive
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sterod
Well this is very interesting, I have a 2018 Macan S in Toronto, Canada. I had found this website which lists the capabilities of the x431 on Porsche V23.60 and it does not list the 2018 Macan at all, and for the 2014-2017 it does list, it shows no coding features. http://qcar.x431.com/serial/layout.action

So, if you are saying its working then this website must be out of date or its unofficial. I'm tempted to bite the bullet and order one, as I was about to buy the clone PIWIS 3 for $1979 USD.

Can you tell me which model exactly (and a link if possible) you used so I can buy one to try out? I think its this one on Amazon.ca but I'd be open to a less expensive option of there was on.

https://www.amazon.ca/LAUNCH-Bi-Dire...dp/B078M4N97M/
yes, based on the fact that my v+ can communicate with the 18 Macan I had for a few days (and coding options were available and working) I would say that the compatibility page is probably outdated. I'm not familiar enough with the last couple of MYs to know which cars transitioned to DoIP (diag over IP) which to my knowledge is one of the main reasons newer (18+?) cars require a PIWIS III. Since the X431 uses a proprietary vehicle interface (not documented anywhere, unsure if it's simply a BLE-type dongle like all the others, includes a pass-through, or something that can emulate a DoIP connection) hard to tell. Maybe I'll open it up later down the road and take a peek inside. Since the 2018 still has a PCM 4.0 and analog (mostly) cluster, maybe 2019 is the cut-off for the Macan (new-new PCM, new cluster, etc.) If I can get my hands on a 2019 i'd be happy to test.

Here's the link that I purchased from:
Launch X431 V+ Launch X431 V+
subaru335i (05-18-2020)
Old 09-26-2019, 02:33 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 243 Posts

I just ordered the same one from the Amazon link. Do forget to click on the the coupon for a $58 discount.
Mirrorslap (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 05:49 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
I just ordered the same one from the Amazon link. Do forget to click on the the coupon for a $58 discount.
Me too! Arrives today.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:20 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
Same one I borrowed.. pretty cool, but still none of the stuff I programmed in is wirking

Quick Reply: Cayenne Coding - The Ultimate Guide & Discussion