Sponsored By:

Cayenne Coding - The Ultimate Guide & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 12:42 AM
gabylonfive
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
Keep it up fellas. I will be joining in the fun soon.
the more the merrier - there are so many systems and functions to sift through and test. we should make great progress as more people hop on the platform .

Last edited by gabylonfive; 09-17-2019 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:00 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Anyone figure out if possible to activate rear hatch to close with remote? I tried with someone who has PIWIS2 broke the door, but a quick auto code returned it to factory.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:03 AM
gabylonfive
Advanced

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Anyone figure out if possible to activate rear hatch to close with remote? I tried with someone who has PIWIS2 broke the door, but a quick auto code returned it to factory.
I got the same "Write Code Failed" error as OP when trying to code hatch close with remote. Kind of reassuring that it appears the x431 will check plausibility before writing anything, looks like the PIWIS may not do that.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:44 PM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Can someone please post a link to this tool? There's so many options on Amazon and the ones that look right seem to be offered for different prices.
The following users liked this post:
lacibaci (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 04:37 PM
gabylonfive
Advanced

I played a bit with the “online coding” function (on my e46 m3 as I can easily reflash that if I break something, don’t want to brick my DD :P).

It appears that function will check an online server and compare the module’s current assembly (sw) number against an online db to see if there’s a newer version available and flash the car either with the new version or a new copy of the same version. Maybe useful if you need to replace or retrofit a module (not sure if it will then VO code the module or that’s a separate function)

One caveat - I’m not aware if the Porsche modules can be programmed or flashed over CAN the way BMW can. I know the higher end Launch scanners (PAD and Throttle variants) come with a J2534 interface specifically for flashing so I don’t think there’s anything like that built into the VCIs we have.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:00 PM
gabylonfive
Advanced

Originally Posted by jtakhtalian
Can someone please post a link to this tool? There's so many options on Amazon and the ones that look right seem to be offered for different prices.
Yeah, bit confusing with all the options. I ordered this one:
Launch X431 V+ Launch X431 V+

Based on my research you can use either the V+ or the smaller V Pro - same software just a smaller tablet. The V+ can be expanded to interface with commercial trucks. I think the Diagun IV (android phone-looking thing) also runs the same software so that should work too.

In the end these are just rooted android devices with the diagnostic app preinstalled. You’re really just paying for the software license and whatever size device works best for you.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:48 PM
gabylonfive
Advanced

Originally Posted by 9000RPM
(1 more reserve....that's it for today. Need to get a charger and hook it up. Manual recommends a fully charged battery before coding. Said it will brick the module if the power cuts out during mid-write. I don't like idling my car.)

Can anyone recommend a good charger for this type of thing? I don't think a battery tender is going to cut it.
OP - for short feature-coding sessions like these, a good 15A charger (
like this Schumacher unit like this Schumacher unit
) is probably enough (I would turn off your lights to limit your power draw if you'll be awhile though.) I've used one of these for BMW coding sessions for the past 8 years and have had no issues with it. With that said, I've been doing all of my coding with the cayenne running and haven't had an issue, though I typically wouldn't write anything to the DME while the engine is running. I set one of my cluster gauges to vehicle voltage and just make sure I stay between 13.5v-14.5v (the voltage window you need to stay in during a piwis module flash.)

If we ever get to the point where we're flashing or programming modules though, I'd invest in a good 70A power supply since those are much longer read/write sessions and any big power fluctuation can boot you out of the process and brick your module.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:47 AM
gabylonfive
Advanced

Originally Posted by sterod
Amazing now the only question is does it support the 2018 Macan S. I've emailed the manufacturer but no answer yet.
Originally Posted by sterod
It would appear the limitations of this system are that of a PIWIS 2. It does not support the 2018 Macan S which would need a PIWIS 3. Dammit, bubble=burst.

http://qcar.x431.com/newserial/?pdtTypeId=2#link15
Was able to get my hands on a 2018 Macan S this evening . Good news to report, the x431 connects to all modules properly and coding routines are present! I only had about 20 minutes to play around with this one until my buddy and I had to head to dinner, but I was able to browse through some of the modules and enable a few things:

Mirror fold-in on lock enabled:

Trunk lid warning tone disabled:

I offered to swap cars with my friend so I'll have this one for a few days to test. Will report back with any other cool things I find .
Old 09-18-2019, 12:54 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 600 Likes on 462 Posts

Has anyone confirmed that increasing the max boost in the instrument cluster coding does actually increase the engine boost limit, not just the cluster's boost limit scale? The info above implied it changes the engine's behavior. Anyone test it with a Cayenne turbo?
Old 09-18-2019, 01:23 AM
gabylonfive
Advanced

Originally Posted by garrett376
Has anyone confirmed that increasing the max boost in the instrument cluster coding does actually increase the engine boost limit, not just the cluster's boost limit scale? The info above implied it changes the engine's behavior. Anyone test it with a Cayenne turbo?
I believe the original request to look into the boost parameter in the cluster was from someone running a Cobb tune (increasing boost targets via the engine sw.) I'm pretty certain changing the max boost in the cluster will just allow you to scale the reading properly so you can see your new actuals. Would be pretty sweet if it was that easy to increase boost though (though you'd likely need a new engine after if the DME didn't compensate fuel targets accordingly :P.)

If any CTT owners in the Bay Area want to give it a go I'd be happy to meet up and test.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:57 AM
gabylonfive
Advanced

More Macan findings (I'm also assuming the PCM 4.0 related items will be present in the 2017 Cayenne as well)

Idle Speed Adjustment, Dyno mode enable/disable

Speed limit adjustment / removal:

Start/Stop disable

LCA active during standstill:

LCA Brightness adjustment:

PCM Disclaimer delete:

Carplay / Android Auto enable/disable (this one is pretty cool.)

That's all for now, more to come tomorrow possibly .
Old 09-18-2019, 02:00 AM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 241 Posts

PCM disclaimer delete would be great in the cayenne. I don't remember if you guys have checked yet.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:39 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
PCM disclaimer delete would be great in the cayenne. I don't remember if you guys have checked yet.
They have, no bueno.

Do we know which tools from Launch have this capability yet? I see the X431 Pro Mini for $670 and it says it is bidirectional and coding capable. If that is running the same software and has these capabilities it would work fine for me.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:20 AM
9000RPM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Did it disable the auto/stop on the Macan? It didn't do anything on my 2014. Still had to keep the button light illuminated.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:20 AM
bfly
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using the X431 Diagun IV which has all the functionality of the larger units in the size of a large phone.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Coding - The Ultimate Guide & Discussion