Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynavin head unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:27 PM
big928fan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are the teething issues that are giving you pause? i'm thinking about ordering one and trying to do research
Old 10-15-2014, 03:15 PM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by big928fan
what are the teething issues that are giving you pause? i'm thinking about ordering one and trying to do research
This thread has talked of a wonky interface, losing presets, at least one unit DOA and other minor issues.
Obviously it's still a huge step up from the stock unit and competitively priced relative to more established brands. But again, for me, just enough lack of polish coupled with a price increase (without improvement in the unit) that makes me want to sit on the sidelines while Dynavin works the issues out.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:39 PM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

B. Kish,

Frankly, you will not find a better solution than Dynavin out there. Yes it's a bit quirky but it's still 10X better than PCM 2.1. All other after-market solutions are very non-factory look w/o any buttons; plus they cost double the Dynavin solution. My vote is still for Dynavin N6.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:51 PM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Nimesh Udani
B. Kish,

Frankly, you will not find a better solution than Dynavin out there. Yes it's a bit quirky but it's still 10X better than PCM 2.1. All other after-market solutions are very non-factory look w/o any buttons; plus they cost double the Dynavin solution. My vote is still for Dynavin N6.
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a major step forward for we Cayenne owners. I'm still very interested and following this thread closely to gauge others experiences.

Guess I'm not an early adopter. And buying an unknown brand that has some issues, then raises the price without improving the product, makes me a bit more cautious about signing up to be a beta tester for them.

J&T seems to be doing a great job with customers and the unit. Waiting to see how Dynavin responds by addressing the issues. Just due diligence in my mind.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:42 AM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

Actually Dynavin has been around now more than 5 years on BMW, Audi and VW and the new N6 is their sixth generation unit, which is quite mature.
When they came out with it 6 months ago I was on the sideline because of no Satellite radio option. Once I realized the poor sound of Satellite radio I started streaming through the phone and the Dynavin Bluetooth is as good as a factory bluetooth.

My big reason of upgrading was touch screen navigation, full phone support and bluetooth. Other future updates will be icing on the cake! :-)
Old 10-17-2014, 04:52 AM
Felix928
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nimesh Udani
Actually Dynavin has been around now more than 5 years on BMW, Audi and VW and the new N6 is their sixth generation unit, which is quite mature. When they came out with it 6 months ago I was on the sideline because of no Satellite radio option. Once I realized the poor sound of Satellite radio I started streaming through the phone and the Dynavin Bluetooth is as good as a factory bluetooth. My big reason of upgrading was touch screen navigation, full phone support and bluetooth. Other future updates will be icing on the cake! :-)
And these functions - touch screen navigation, full phone support and bluetooth - are all working flawlessly?
Old 10-17-2014, 09:00 AM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

Originally Posted by Felix928
And these functions - touch screen navigation, full phone support and bluetooth - are all working flawlessly?
Yes
Old 10-20-2014, 09:03 AM
pathak76
2nd Gear

Thanks Guys for all the info. I have a 2006 Porsche Cayenne with Bose. I did not like the Nav TV. I ordered last week from Jeff a Dynavin with reverse camera. I can't wait to install it.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:41 PM
bmbratz
Intermediate

Hi

Just got the cayenne back with the dynavin n6 installed what a revolution lol same problem here with obc nothing is displayed I hope there is a way to figure this out.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:49 PM
ciderman
2nd Gear

Default Dynavin N6 new install-06 Turbo S with nav, satellite and cd changer

I read through all of the pages on this thread and decided to purchase the N6 from JandT. Thank you to all of those who have contributed such useful information. I live in an area where it is illegal to use handheld devices and I wanted the bluetooth to be integrated with the car. I considered going with the Alpine or other aftermarket head unit. However, the substantial price difference made me pause. The 'factory look' of the N6 tipped the scales.

I did a fair bit of research before I went forward with the switch and for the most part, I have no regrets. I took it to a local shop for installation and they said that it went smoothly. They said that the worst part was removing all of the trim for the backup camera and the bluetooth mic.

I ordered a CCD "OEM" style camera which hasn't yet arrived. I am certain that I will have to dremel it to get it to fit. In the meantime I installed the system with a license plate CMOS camera. I am hoping the CCD camera will be much better. The license plate camera blocks the hatch handle and is not very clear at night.

I installed the Parrot mic at the top by the mirror. Because of the noise cancelling properties, many recommend this spot to avoid the noise interuption when your windows are open.

I used the connector on the GPS antenna that they provided and spliced it into my GPS antenna. The signal seems strong.

My steering wheel radio buttons work, except for the scan button. I have asked Jeff for some help and I am sure that I will hear from him promptly.

I paired it with my iPhone 5S initially. Then my son paried ti with his Samsung S5 to play music. it streamed the music very well and sounded great. When I tried to pair it with my phone again, it wouldn't work. I had to go into settings on my phone and 'forget' the Dynavin and pair it again. It would be better if it could pair with more than one phone at a time.

I have not yet been able to get it to show my phone book or call log. Jeff is trying to find out an answer to that. He says that it has not been an issue for others.

Based upon the price, the excellent service and response so far from Jeff and the modernization of the functionality without a noticeable aesthetic difference, I have no regrets. It is not perfect, but neither was the PCM and nor would any of the other alternatives.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:27 AM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

Ciderman...Welcome to the Cayenne Dynavin club. Jeff is a good guy so I am sure he'll get you sorted soon. The CCD camera is amazing. IT is very clear at night. I recommend you get LED light bulb for the opposite side so the lights look even plus they're a bright together.

Enjoy your new unit.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Track Day

Are there many users in this thread from the UK? There doesn't really seem to be a source for the N6 unit here without resorting to ebay or the like.

I'm keen to know how the nav works here in the UK etc.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:48 AM
bmbratz
Intermediate

Well not so good Dynavin n6 has stop producing sound in all sources radio, ipod nav phone etc happened when I was driving back from work just went silent, it did that yesterday but then was fine, don't know what to do my cayenne is a 2003 with Bose it is updated to firmware 1.0.1 any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:20 AM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bmbratz
Well not so good Dynavin n6 has stop producing sound in all sources radio, ipod nav phone etc happened when I was driving back from work just went silent, it did that yesterday but then was fine, don't know what to do my cayenne is a 2003 with Bose it is updated to firmware 1.0.1 any ideas? Thanks in advance.
It's a bug.
Sometimes it will freeze up. To force a restart hold the 4 outside corner buttons down at the same time till the unit restarts.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:38 AM
bmbratz
Intermediate

Angry

I have done that but still no sound

Quick Reply: Dynavin head unit