Sponsored by:

Dynavin head unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:40 AM
bobo83
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seafeye
I have been using the GPS antenna that came with the unit. I put it under the A pillar trim. And never have issues getting a signal.
Did you have PCM 2.1 before? I don't remember if I took off a GPS antenna on my PCM 2.1, but I'm still having issues with the GPS antenna that came with the Dynavin. I'm hoping that J&T will be sending me a new antenna.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:43 AM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No, I didn't have the PCM 2.1.
Just the stock bose system with the becker head unit. I think all GPS antenna's are universal so any should work. Big brother is watching us closely here in N.C. Maybe that is why we get such a good signal.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:06 PM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

Maybe it's my unit but have you noticed a lot of oily residue around the buttons for the Dynavin N6 unit?
Old 09-16-2014, 07:25 PM
bobo83
Intermediate

I haven't noticed any residue yet...could be your unit? Did you try to wipe it down and see if it comes back?
Old 09-19-2014, 12:02 AM
bdtzmaru
Intermediate

Just got mine 2 days ago. I noticed the oily residue also. I figured the person from customs that handled my unit had a bad habit of eating potato chips on the job!

I'm in the middle of doing my install and everything looks good so far. I just have to figure out how to make the OEM backup camera and PDC work.....
Old 09-19-2014, 01:08 AM
bobo83
Intermediate

bdtzmaru, let me know how the PDC goes...I can't figure out how to connect it yet.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:28 AM
bdtzmaru
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bobo83
bdtzmaru, let me know how the PDC goes...I can't figure out how to connect it yet.
Will do! Regarding your gps antenna question....if you have a DVD based nav, the gps antenna is connected to the DVD nav unit underneath the passenger seat. Look for Koolkat's posts in this thread on how he hooked it up with the older Dynavin unit. I Pm'd Koolkat for some help, I'll pass on any helpful info on this thread.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:31 AM
bobo83
Intermediate

Oh awesome. I spoke to Nimesh, very helpful guy, and he relayed the same message for me regarding the GPS antenna. I've order a Fakra GPS extension cable form eBay and it has male and female end. So I'm hoping that when that arrives, I should be good to go!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:11 PM
cnb88
Track Day

I have just finalized the installation of Dynavin N6, however I still have some issues that I hope you will be able to help me with.

1) No OBC information is shown in Dynavin. According to the manual, it is supposed to work.
2) PDC (no camera) is switched when I put the car in reserve, but no sensor information is shown (green, yellow, or red colors). Shouldn't it work "out-of-the-box" ?
3) It is only possible to pair one mobile phone to Dynavin at the time. Can this really be true ?
4) Looking at the wiring diagram, there are a few wires that I do not know how to connect:
Data_TX, Parking, Active, and P.CNTR. Are they used ? If so, for what and where should I connect them ?
5) Radio reception is awful. I am using the original antennas connected via the antenna fakra plug that came with the Dynavin. Any idea why the reception is so bad (worked fine with PCM 2.1)?

The steering wheel controls works fine.
My car is MY2007 without Bose amp.
The Dynavin N6 unit is running firmware version 1.01.

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thx.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:58 PM
bdtzmaru
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cnb88
I have just finalized the installation of Dynavin N6, however I still have some issues that I hope you will be able to help me with.

1) No OBC information is shown in Dynavin. According to the manual, it is supposed to work.
2) PDC (no camera) is switched when I put the car in reserve, but no sensor information is shown (green, yellow, or red colors). Shouldn't it work "out-of-the-box" ?
3) It is only possible to pair one mobile phone to Dynavin at the time. Can this really be true ?
4) Looking at the wiring diagram, there are a few wires that I do not know how to connect:
Data_TX, Parking, Active, and P.CNTR. Are they used ? If so, for what and where should I connect them ?
5) Radio reception is awful. I am using the original antennas connected via the antenna fakra plug that came with the Dynavin. Any idea why the reception is so bad (worked fine with PCM 2.1)?

I have been researching this issue and the only thing I can come up with is a green wire (from the Dynavin??) must be connected to the reverse trigger. I read this from a BMW forum and they got it working.

There is a green wire that goes into the CANBUS but it is all connected into the harness. I'm beginning to think this feature is not yet supported by Dynavin.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

For radio reception make sure you have selected USA not Europe.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:37 PM
bdtzmaru
Intermediate

I also used the Fakra antenna adapter that came with the Dynavin. Make sure to look on Dynavin's product page and read the instructions on how to connect the dual antennas. There is a downloadable pdf file containing instructions just for the antennas.

In short the black colored Fakra should be connected to the top slot and the yellow 'curry' colored Fakra should be on the bottom.

Though the instructions make no mention of the adapter, I used it anyway and am also getting some spotty reception. My next step is to ditch the adapter (white and green extension) and connect it straight to the harness like it is shown in that pdf file.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:41 AM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

bdtzmaru

Pls. let us know the outcome of your antenna dissection. One thing I have noticed is that if you switch between Europe and USA the reception gets better. But it's not permanent. I hoping for a new firmware fix.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:59 AM
bdtzmaru
Intermediate

Nimesh,

Contact Jeff from JandTdistributing for a possible fix. I remember reading from another forum where a user was complaining of the radio sounds "changing" which I interpreted to be signal issues. Jeff replied by saying he may have a fix for it (unreleased beta firmware?). I did not buy the unit from him so I'm a little embarrassed to ask him questions about the unit.

At this point I am waiting for all the cables to arrive from China so I can finally complete this install!

Also....KIET.....you have a PM! Lol
Old 09-25-2014, 04:52 PM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Happy?

I've been following this thread since its inception and really wanting this unit to work out. It still seems pretty buggy, so I wait somewhat patiently on the sidelines before I commit. The question for owners of the unit is this;

Despite the problems with the unit (mainly software related it seems), are you glad you bought it and would you do it again?

Quick Reply: Dynavin head unit