Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynavin head unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:40 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, will this be plug and play if you have a PCM currently with Bose amp and OEM GPS antenna?

I think a lot of people would be interested in this if it streamlined a backup cam setup, especially all of the 04 955 guys like myself. Previously, you'd need to retrofit a PCM 2.1, which meant adding the DVD player under the passenger seat, AND getting the backup cam itself wired up, and the module. Does this streamline a backup cam retrofit at all?

Will the OBD info also be displayed, as well as the parking sensor integration?
Old 06-27-2014, 01:57 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not the expert on this unit but i believe that because it is connected to the CAN BUS that you will keep all steering wheel controls and displays. I think that you will also get limited vehicle information as well. Like oil/water temp etc...
It is a direct replacement for the Bose/Becker system including those with fiber optics.
This newer version is made for ipod. I guess this means that Dynavin paid the apple tax and they are allowed to interface the apple products.
In terms of audio it is supposed to have better sound quality mainly because of the adjustments available.
Now parking system i have no idea. You can install a universal back up camera (make sure to get a CCD) to the dynavin. There are more available for the Toureg than the Cayenne at the moment. But if this communicates with the factory parking sensors? No idea.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:01 PM
bdtzmaru
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed.....Can you please update us on how the installation went. These are the questions I'm hoping you can answer:

1. What does the dash display look like after installation? Is there anything missing, specifically in the turbo.

2. Is the OEM backup camera truly plug and play...or does it still need the fakra to rca cable, as well as the reverse trigger?

3. Do parking sensors work or display (front and back)l? I'm hoping it will display much like the newer cayennes/panameras.

4. Can you confirm that the newer N-6 can connect two radio antennas?

I'm very interested in this unit. My cayenne's Nav-TV Opi-p and tookie just went down and this seems like the better way to go for replacement.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:03 PM
hanlong
Intermediate

The Dynavin N6 just arrived! I'm getting it installed in my Cayenne S tomorrow and connecting a third party backup camera to it. I'll keep you guys updated on my experience with it.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:53 AM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

Default dynavim

Originally Posted by hanlong
The Dynavin N6 just arrived! I'm getting it installed in my Cayenne S tomorrow and connecting a third party backup camera to it. I'll keep you guys updated on my experience with it.
So how does the new N6 unit look? Any install issues?
Old 07-02-2014, 12:33 AM
drewcwsj
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm curious what is meant by "Internet connection" in the description?
Old 07-02-2014, 12:55 AM
hanlong
Intermediate

1. Nothing is missing, I'll take pictures and post here later but it looks very OEM.

2. Yes it's plug and play.

3. I only installed backup camera, but it looks like it supports PDC front+back.

4. Yes it connects to two.

"Internet connection" - I have no idea really, I clicked on the button and it asked for 3G SIM Card information. I don't know where I can plug this in though, but I'm assuming maybe via USB you can attach a 3G sim card and get apps for the future?

The system is pretty nice and responsive but pretty bare right now. The software seems kind of rough around the edges though, and some of the stuff (internet, apps, etc.) don't work. But those are supposedly going to be in there for a future release so it's something to watch out for. I can see some bugs with the software (sometimes my radio presets get written over by itself, etc.). There is a way to update the software though and I'm hoping dynavin updates it because there's a few bugs.

I'm still trying to figure out the software though and playing around it...

Last edited by hanlong; 07-02-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:32 AM
bdtzmaru
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hanlong
1. Nothing is missing, I'll take pictures and post here later but it looks very OEM.

2. Yes it's plug and play.

3. I only installed backup camera, but it looks like it supports PDC front+back.

4. Yes it connects to two.

"Internet connection" - I have no idea really, I clicked on the button and it asked for 3G SIM Card information. I don't know where I can plug this in though, but I'm assuming maybe via USB you can attach a 3G sim card and get apps for the future?

The system is pretty nice and responsive but pretty bare right now. The software seems kind of rough around the edges though, and half of the stuff (internet, apps, etc.) don't work. I can see some bugs with the software (sometimes my radio presets get written over by itself, etc.). There is a way to update the software though and I'm hoping dynavin updates it because there's a bunch of bugs.

I'm still trying to figure out the software though and playing around it...

Thanks for checking. So... song info, mileage to empty all show? How about navi info (i'm pushing my luck here)? Pictures of the dash would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:51 AM
hanlong
Intermediate

Oh oops, I misread your #1 point. You are talking about driver dashboard...

The mileage to empty shows. But that's not related anyways it's on the bottom half of the driver dashboard screen. The steering wheel buttons all work too. There's no navigation or song information showing up for all modes (radio/a2dp/ipod/usb/etc.) on the top portion of the driver dashboard, which used to all work with my old CDR23. I'm trying to figure out whether it's an installation problem or it's just not a feature. That is a bummer if it doesn't work, was good to see the song information/etc. without looking at the center console. I think it's because I had a CDR23, and not PCM. I'll keep you guys updated if I get a breakthrough.

I attached what it looks like on the center console + dashboard.
Attached Images   
Old 07-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

Default XM or Sirrus Satellite and Text Messages

Is there anyway to get satellite radio installed into this new Dynavin unit? I know most don't care for Satellite radio anymore but I have a long drive everyday on the 405 freeway and it's nice to have the sports and talk stations. I tried the web app via the phone but very dangerous while driving.

And do the text messages show on the screen of the unit?
Old 07-02-2014, 02:43 PM
hanlong
Intermediate

I haven't gotten a text message yet while driving, I'll test this one out and get back to you.

From what I know satellite radio doesn't work with this, but I'm not 100% sure since I don't use it so I didn't try this personally.

Also good news is Jeff (the distributor) noticed my post and he's working with me to talk to dynavin to answer my questions. I'm sure the minor issues I've seen can be easily software patched up.

Overall it's a very responsive and great system the more I play with it though. According to him "To my knowledge you literally have the first installed N6-PC unit in the North America".

I fired off the three things I noticed, hoping for a software update to fix it:

1) My backup camera lines didn't show up once when I reversed, but I'm uncertain if it's the camera or the dynavin that screwed up yet. It hasn't shown up since that one time so I'm not that worried yet about it.

2) The driver dashboard does not show anything in that area, Jeff said he contacted the manufacturer to see if this is intended to be working, or mine is just installed wrong, or need a software update.

EDIT: Got a response from Jeff, he indicated its not a feature that's supported at this time. So I guess it will be empty there.

3) The radio when I use the steering wheel buttons to switch channels, sometimes it works and changes the presets, sometimes it just changes the presets to the existing channel. For instance I had 94.9 and 106.1 as my preset 1 and 2, sometimes pressing up and down will switch between those two, sometimes it "doesn't work" and sticks to only one of them (say 106.1). When I go into the radio menu and look at it manually, somehow 106.1 got assigned to 1,2 after doing this. This happened quite a few times.

EDIT: Actually I set my radio to 94.9 and 106.1 again for preset 1 and 2. Turned off my car and left. Next time I turned it on both were 106.1. I reset it back, then the next time I turned on my car again both became 94.9, both times without pressing anything on the steering wheel buttons. Doesn't happen all the time, but pretty frequently.

Everything else works really well.

Last edited by hanlong; 07-02-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:04 PM
hanlong
Intermediate

I sent myself a text. Nothing on screen. Calls though override wherever you are and show up ok the unit.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

Default Kufatec Video in Motion instead

Has anyone tried Kufatec video in motion on their PCM 2.1?

http://www.kufatec.com/shop/en/porsc...?tab=anleitung

instead of dynavin why not use this instead?

just a thought...that's all
Old 07-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Felix928
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nimesh Udani
Has anyone tried Kufatec video in motion on their PCM 2.1? http://www.kufatec.com/shop/en/porsc...?tab=anleitung instead of dynavin why not use this instead? just a thought...that's all
What is this?
Old 07-03-2014, 01:19 AM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

Default Kufatec

They're another Nav-TV style tool. I was wondering if anyone had used their products. They also have an auto trunk open/close module for the 1st Gen Cayenne's.

Quick Reply: Dynavin head unit