Sponsored by:

Dynavin head unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:59 PM
Sheel Kapur
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I-Fly-GV
It appears that all we can do with the CAN interface is plug in the connector from the Dynavin harness. Nothing else was back there on my car to plug into it. ('05 CTT) And is probably why there are no temp readings on the info page. I guess were all waiting to see what Dynavin comes up with on that. Probably nothing.
So I bought the Dynavin N6 unit a few months ago, but just got around to attempting an installation tonight. I'm pretty confused about the setup.

2005 955 CTT
1. The CAN interface connects to nothing...
2. After I connect everything up (I think properly?) the MOST interface harness is empty in the middle.. ???
3. I only get sound up front... nothing from the rear speakers/sub... I have the BOSE sound system
4. I have the factory nav setup, but I don't see any wires for the gps antenna connecting upto the PCM... is that right?! There's a green fakra connector on the top right corner of the PCM, with nothing connected to it... any idea what this is for?
5. There are a crap ton of wires in the Dynavin harnesses, but barely any of them get used... e.g. RCA outs
6. There's a slight, annoying hiss... i don't know if anyone found a solution to this yet.. ??
7. When using the "internet" usb connection, can it get a signal from your phone?

Last edited by Sheel Kapur; 12-14-2014 at 11:08 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12-16-2014, 08:41 PM
hanlong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by scoobytc
If these units displayed the trip computer info like mpg etc id have one like a shot but not having that info is a deal breaker for me which is a shame as it looks like a good bit of kit
You don't lose that. You still get those from your dashboard. Or you meant to show that info on the dynavin unit itself?
Old 12-16-2014, 08:55 PM
hanlong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by big928fan
did you guys get the win ce version or the android version??
The old dynavin d99 is the one with android or win ce. The new dynavin n6 is a modified win ce only. I don't believe you have any choice on that.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:56 PM
hanlong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nimesh Udani
I too am interested in installing other navigation software. iGO primo is not bad but I would prefer Garmin or TOMTOM. Also, has anyone been able to get the traffic updates to work in USA?
I tried installing other software, it's just a wince unit you can copy other wince navigation to the sd card and choose it in settings.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:27 PM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

Which WinCE Navigation did you add to the unit?
Thanks
Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 PM
hanlong
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nimesh Udani
Which WinCE Navigation did you add to the unit?
Thanks
You can get TomTom, Navigon, Garmin, etc.

Whatever you prefer, I actually end up liking the iGo that came with our unit the best, plus we have a valid license here.

I'm not going into details here, look at http://navitotal.com/ for details for GPS software.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:42 AM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

Originally Posted by hanlong
You can get TomTom, Navigon, Garmin, etc.

Whatever you prefer, I actually end up liking the iGo that came with our unit the best, plus we have a valid license here.

I'm not going into details here, look at http://navitotal.com/ for details for GPS software.
Did you get the traffic to work on the unit?
Old 12-19-2014, 02:08 AM
I-Fly-GV
AutoX

Originally Posted by Sheel Kapur
So I bought the Dynavin N6 unit a few months ago, but just got around to attempting an installation tonight. I'm pretty confused about the setup.

2005 955 CTT
1. The CAN interface connects to nothing...
2. After I connect everything up (I think properly?) the MOST interface harness is empty in the middle.. ???
3. I only get sound up front... nothing from the rear speakers/sub... I have the BOSE sound system
4. I have the factory nav setup, but I don't see any wires for the gps antenna connecting upto the PCM... is that right?! There's a green fakra connector on the top right corner of the PCM, with nothing connected to it... any idea what this is for?
5. There are a crap ton of wires in the Dynavin harnesses, but barely any of them get used... e.g. RCA outs
6. There's a slight, annoying hiss... i don't know if anyone found a solution to this yet.. ??
7. When using the "internet" usb connection, can it get a signal from your phone?
Hey S Kapur, I had the same problem by in my case I had no sound at all at first. I pull the unit back out and found I had not plugged in one of the connectors to the Most interface unit. Forget about the factory GPS antenna, and use the one that comes with the unit. It is superior in MHO and just mount it under the dash somewhere where the magnetic base has a good hold. Works like a charm. Yes there is "a crap load of wires" that come with the unit. Only use what you need and forget the rest. Beside a couple of the harness connectors, I only used two rca outs if I recall. As far as the hiss, try to use the set up menu to reduce the volumes for the various inputs. I had to slide the sliders all the way down for most of the input devices (radio, aux in, Blue tooth, iphone, ect) or else I could not get the sound to come down low enough to carry on a conversation with my wife in the lowest setting. Try that to see if the hiss goes away. I never had a hiss but the first notch of volume was too high.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:51 AM
puunda
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know how well the Android radios work?
You can get one from China for much cheaper, and it's Android, so you can root it and install new software.
Only issue is it doesn't come with the MOST adapter.
If the Androids are a decent unit, then I'll buy that and buy the MOST adapter separately ... that should work right?
Or should I just bite the bullet and buy the Dynavin?
Old 12-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Sheel Kapur
Track Day

Originally Posted by I-Fly-GV
Hey S Kapur, I had the same problem by in my case I had no sound at all at first. I pull the unit back out and found I had not plugged in one of the connectors to the Most interface unit. Forget about the factory GPS antenna, and use the one that comes with the unit. It is superior in MHO and just mount it under the dash somewhere where the magnetic base has a good hold. Works like a charm. Yes there is "a crap load of wires" that come with the unit. Only use what you need and forget the rest. Beside a couple of the harness connectors, I only used two rca outs if I recall. As far as the hiss, try to use the set up menu to reduce the volumes for the various inputs. I had to slide the sliders all the way down for most of the input devices (radio, aux in, Blue tooth, iphone, ect) or else I could not get the sound to come down low enough to carry on a conversation with my wife in the lowest setting. Try that to see if the hiss goes away. I never had a hiss but the first notch of volume was too high.
Well, I got some answers from J&T, and I tried the install again...

* I ordered a gps fakra cable and connected right up to the OEM gps antenna - it works really well.

* It turns out sound is actually coming out of the rear speakers, what's not working properly is the fade/balance - I was using that to test sound at all speakers, and it doesn't fade/balance to the rear properly. Eg, if i fade to the rear, the front still plays faintly.

Also, I can't tell if the center console speaker is playing or not. Overall, the sound feels empty and less rich compared to the stock unit (I have Bose).

* The annoying hiss is still there, and I tried to decrease the sound volume for each "source" - didn't help. At one point, it sounded like the unit was still playing the radio, very faintly, even though I had powered off the unit and the car - this could be related to the next point.

* When I check the "OE DSP" option in the sound menu, I loose all control of the ability to control volume (from the unit itself and from the steering wheel). When I uncheck the option, I hear a loud pop, and it goes back to the unit's control of sound.

In one instance yesterday, after unchecking the "OE DSP" option, the unit froze up on me and would not play anything except the radio. On the "info" menu, it indicated some kind of "sync" problem.

I tried to do a soft reset by holding down the "src" button for 10 seconds. That did not help. I had to physically disconnect the unit to get it to completely recycle, and do a hard reset.

This concerns me - I hope the unit is not drawing significant power even when off...

Last edited by Sheel Kapur; 12-29-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:42 PM
Pussywillow1972
Intermediate

I got my unit yesterday and hooked it up. I really like it, but I do have a question. The radio plays every time I start the car. The unit powers up, giving the Porsche logo, and then goes right to the radio. Is there a setting somewhere that allows me to have it stay off when I start the car and only play when I press the button? Thanks.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:41 PM
Pussywillow1972
Intermediate

I have another issue that hopefully someone can assist. When I have the system powered on, it plays the radio automatically, unless I'm using a different source. When I use the navigation function, the music source is also playing, making it impossible to hear the directions from navigation. Has anyone run into this and is there a way to mute all other sources so I only have the navigation alerts coming over the speakers?
Old 01-08-2015, 11:03 AM
s329
Racer

I have the same problem with my unit. The mute button really shouldn't mute the NAV but it does which is annoying. My way around it is to use a USB source for music and stop/pausing it and then going to the NAV. That way everything is silent sans the NAV. It also works if you have an audio CD and then pause it. If someone has a better workaround I'd love to hear it.

Originally Posted by Pussywillow1972
I have another issue that hopefully someone can assist. When I have the system powered on, it plays the radio automatically, unless I'm using a different source. When I use the navigation function, the music source is also playing, making it impossible to hear the directions from navigation. Has anyone run into this and is there a way to mute all other sources so I only have the navigation alerts coming over the speakers?
Old 01-26-2015, 10:37 PM
big928fan
Intermediate

finally got mine installed today.... so glad that it just looks so clean and oem

Untitled by piscessaga, on Flickr
Old 02-19-2015, 05:11 PM
Nimesh Udani
Advanced

There's one annoying thing I can't figure out. I am hoping you all found a fix for. While using the navigation option the music turns down. How can I get it not do that?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Dynavin head unit