Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynavin head unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:00 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this unit is still plug-and-play if your car does not have PCM?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by racer_65
Just checking to see if anyone has been able to hook up this unit to the CD Changer.
Isn't that part of the 8-Track system?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:58 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

It was briefly mentioned that the sound quality was 'good.' Could someone with this unit installed please qualify that statement?

In my opinion, the factory PCM2.0 with bose is just above adequate. While I'm not an audiophile by any means, I do find it hard to listen to XM/Sirius due to the compressed and tinny sound.

Would you guys say the quality is worse, about the same, or much better than stock?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:50 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would assume the limiting factor to be the drivers not the reciever.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:29 AM
mikeymikey
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Answering some of the latest questions:
1) The cd changer will not work with this unit. This unit is not a truly MOST unit like PCM which communicates with CD changer over the MOST ring. Think of this as a normal car radio with CANBUS connectivity so that it can accept signals like car in reverse, steering wheel controls and the audio output is via a small box that goes from RCA to MOST ring. Plus, the software does not have any options for extra sources except for the ones that the unit is directly connected to (ipod, usb, Bluetooth, DVB). Could it be done with appropriate hardware/software changes? May be...

2) I think that it is still plug and play without PCM. The unit comes with two sets of harnesses and I used one of them. Best to call J&T, he is very helpful.

3) I find the audio quality to be on par or may be a notch below PCM. I am not an audiophile and was pretty happy with PCM except for stone age technology and this unit is a major upgrade. If you are looking for a better sound quality, better to replace Bose stuff as well.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:13 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Chiming in on the sound quality. I think it is very close to the Bose system, which makes sense since it is using the same amp and speakers. I have noticed some differences between sources. The iPod wired source is actually pretty noisy. It does come with a noise filter which I had not installed. I will perhaps install that to see if it helps, but it is not a huge priority since I mostly use the bluetooth streaming.

One note is that the radio reception is kinda crap. I think this is because the PCM uses two fakra antennas, and the adapter that comes with the unit only accommodates one, and it is not powered. I have just ordered an adapter that combines the two fakra adapters into a traditional antenna adapter, and provides a power supply. I hope that takes care of the issue. Again, not a huge priority, because I am typically streaming satellite radio.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:32 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming one doesn't need to hook up to a rear view camera or connect to the PCM's antenna, what would be the time estimate to install this unit?
Old 04-17-2014, 02:08 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you mikeymikey and Kris Murphy for the honest feedback on the sound quality. My previous vehicle was a Chev Tahoe with Bose and a new pioneer head unit did wonders. Of course the trouble is piecing together MOST adapter, CanBus adapter, HU and dash kit = ~$2k diy vs the $800 Dynavin.
I tell you though, burning songs to a cd 18 at a time, all 90's style, is getting pretty old.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:18 PM
drewcwsj
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Dynavin seems like a decent mid-range head unit with integrated can and most. Just comparing the HU you can find something better for about $500. Then the most and can adapters add about $600. So it is just a few hundred more to go mainstream. I'm waiting on the Clarion FX-504 which is their top of the line but without DVD so pricing should only be about $500. Hopefully it will be released this summer.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:00 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Racer 65, providing you have installed a stereo before, I would allow for two hours to install, providing you are running the iPod cable and USB and mic to some place that makes sense.

I ran the iPod cable into the ashtray, and the USB to the cubby below the arm rest. The mic is up above on the a-pillar. This required removing so panels and the heater controls.

If you are not concerned with that stuff, it should only take about about a half hour. Really plug and play. There are no wires the cut. The two biggest pain in the butts are removing the heater control unit and getting all of the wires with the most and canbus adapters to fit.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:05 AM
koolkat1973
Instructor

I do not notice a difference in sound quality between the Dynavin and the PCM. Overall - I love the unit and the bluetooth audio streaming is huge. I use that pretty much every day. This is a great unit for the price and cannot be beat.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:11 PM
jnet99
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally learning this unit and it is so much better than the PCM Bose. I wasn't able to use the stock GPS antennae but I haven't had any reception problems with the included antennae. Ran the USB to the ashtray and put in a small 16gb flash that allows it to close.
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2014, 11:26 AM
mikeymikey
Instructor

Anyone else seeing issues syncing more than one iphone via Bluetooth on this unit (ofcourse one at a time ?
I have to forget the device and pair it again for it to work,
Old 04-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Mikey,

Does it keep disconnecting the second device after you add it? My wife was running into that issue. I have not had a chance to look at it yet.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:15 PM
mikeymikey
Instructor

I am seeing the above issue plus the case below:
1) add one device, add second one, disconnect second one, first one won't connect until go through the steps of "forgetting" the device and pairing it all over again.

Quick Reply: Dynavin head unit