Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*****mObridge Group Buy*****

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Finally taking some time to install the mObridge unit. What a PITA to get the rear trim most of the way removed and it still buys you very little in the way of access to the rear of the CDC unit!

Keep in mind I'm installing in the rear area where the CDC is located, I'm not messing with the area under the dash:

I've taken apart the fiber connectors and have no problem with connecting the one fiber cable that mObridge gives you a connector on but the other "bare" fiber connector is not working out so well. Do I need another fiber "coupler like the one mObridge supplied? I've tried plugging into the plug that was pulled out from the CDC but that obviously didn't work.

Any help?

Resolution(I hope): I decided to disassemble the supplied loop-back plug and re-assemble it as the connector for the mObridge's fiber cables, we'll see how that works.

I had tried calling mObridge's 888 number, then option 2 (support)(and option 4) both went to the same guy's voicemail, hope he's not sales too.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 04-28-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:28 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should receive 2 connectors for the fiber - 1 on 1 fiber connection the other in the box. Take the lead from the CDC and pull the purple pin from the connector which allows you to remove the fiber. click the ends of the fiber in to the 2 supplied connectors and your golden.
The loop idea seems to work as well but oddly enough I did not receive that part with mine.

Also be sure to get the firmware update...

And oh yeah I hear you on the removal total PITA...
Old 04-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by JRCTT
You should receive 2 connectors for the fiber - 1 on 1 fiber connection the other in the box. Take the lead from the CDC and pull the purple pin from the connector which allows you to remove the fiber. click the ends of the fiber in to the 2 supplied connectors and your golden.
The loop idea seems to work as well but oddly enough I did not receive that part with mine.

Also be sure to get the firmware update...

And oh yeah I hear you on the removal total PITA...
I only received the one "loop back" and the 1 "one to one" connector in addition to the (non-fiber) connector and switch for the bypass part of the system. Hooking up the one fiber 1 to 1 would have been a breeze but hooking up the other fiber cable was the problem. After calling and getting a chuckle from the sales guy at Radio Shack when I asked if they had FO couplers thats when I thought about the connector from the loopback.

I did get a callback from the support guy at mObridge while I was on my way to RS for electrical connectors, he must have been at lunch when I called. He said the loopback connector should work fine, gave me a few tips on other install issues so I should be good to go.

Right now it's all wired up but the trim is not back on (I want to test it first) and per mObridge support's suggestion the Pepper is closed up, locked and will sit for at least 10 min. before I open it up and test out the system.

I need to check mObridge's site for the f/w update...
OK, 2.2.51 is still the only Audio update on the website. Do only special customers get the newer f/w?

Update: It works! One question, I know how to make a Ipod shuffle songs on playback but how do you make an Ipod connected to the mobridge shuffle? Since mine's installed in the rear where the CDC was I can't do it through the Ipod.

Update # 2: Guess I should have read the mObridge user manual before asking about the shuffle process. I'll try that at lunch today. It does say it may be different on some vehicles.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 04-29-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:47 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

No nothing special about me - I just badgered them and told them the unit was useless if I had to scroll through a hundred songs to get back to the track I was listening to before shutting the car off and they emailed me the update.

I am guessing they are still testing this release since I have to po po the unit once and a while to get it to play the track.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Does the latest f/w release address the issue of having to restart the shuffle (Random in mObridge terms) process each time you restart the car? Thats very annoying. If it does fix it I'll get on the horn w/ mObridge support right away.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:57 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for my slow replies, I am in the UK right now. I just got word from Scott at Mobridge, the software update to version 02.03.00, a major release should be on the website next week.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Not trying to be an *** but when I was involved with s/w on a regular basis the releases were considered major, minor and fixes. Taking 02.05.08 as an example going from the 02.xx.yy to 03.xx.yy would be a major release. Going from 02.05.yy to 02.06.yy would be a minor update and the 02.05.08 to 02.05.09 would be a fix release. If they considered going from 02.02.51 to 02.03.00 a major release what would they call going from 02.03.xx to 03.00.00?
Old 04-29-2008, 06:41 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Not at all. I am in that business also, but in my experience the version numbering is down to the standard you are following at the time OR freeform if not. On top of that this is Australian so the rush of blood to their heads may throw it off.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

And I should have also added that they probably expect most of their customers don't know squat about s/w naming and if they told them they had a "minor" fix coming out the customers would already be screaming about when the next major release was coming. You know how customers can be.

Aussie code, with a little Fosters on the side maybe?
Old 04-30-2008, 03:05 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

thats my bet also haha
Old 04-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

So, any idea if the new release resolves the I forgot you were on Random / Shuffle issue?

I was thinking about this while I was mowing yesterday and while the PCM system DID remember which CD/track I was on when the system was shut down when it was on basic CD play mode on the CDC I never tried Random mode on the CDC. This may very well be a PCM issue, I don't know.

The Pepper gets dropped off at the dealer for several minor issues tonight, I'll see if I can't get a PCM update out of the deal. (doubt it but it's worth a try)
Old 05-01-2008, 02:51 AM
mooniac
AutoX

Originally Posted by 993BillW
So, any idea if the new release resolves the I forgot you were on Random / Shuffle issue?

I was thinking about this while I was mowing yesterday and while the PCM system DID remember which CD/track I was on when the system was shut down when it was on basic CD play mode on the CDC I never tried Random mode on the CDC. This may very well be a PCM issue, I don't know.

The Pepper gets dropped off at the dealer for several minor issues tonight, I'll see if I can't get a PCM update out of the deal. (doubt it but it's worth a try)
They tell me it is a PCM issue (haven't confirmed since I didn't previously have a CD changer) but they are considering implementing their own random mode that would be available on CD6 that they could then make persistent. That would work for me.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Default I Forgot You Wanted Random mode issue

Originally Posted by mooniac
They tell me it is a PCM issue (haven't confirmed since I didn't previously have a CD changer) but they are considering implementing their own random mode that would be available on CD6 that they could then make persistent. That would work for me.
OK, doesn't make sense but ok. I would think if the PCM could remember what CD and Track you were listening to it could remember you were in Random mode.

I'm going to get real tired of the first few bars of Al Stewart's Year of the Cat and creating Playlists for all the songs on an 8M Ipod is out of the question. May just get a re-furb'ed 2 or 4M Ipod and rotate the music on it, save the 8M for long trips. What do you guys do? Do you all create playlists?
Old 05-01-2008, 11:05 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always control the IPOD manually. Never use playlists.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:31 PM
mooniac
AutoX

Originally Posted by 993BillW
OK, doesn't make sense but ok. I would think if the PCM could remember what CD and Track you were listening to it could remember you were in Random mode.

I'm going to get real tired of the first few bars of Al Stewart's Year of the Cat and creating Playlists for all the songs on an 8M Ipod is out of the question. May just get a re-furb'ed 2 or 4M Ipod and rotate the music on it, save the 8M for long trips. What do you guys do? Do you all create playlists?
I use playlists but even if you don't and just listen to all songs, it should now remember the last song played so you will start through the list of all songs in the same place as you left off and won't have to listen to year of the cat all the time. I have about 40G of music and don't often listen to the same thing.

Quick Reply: *****mObridge Group Buy*****