Sponsored by:

*****mObridge Group Buy*****

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008 | 02:42 AM
mObridge
Former Vendor

Lightbulb Status on Upgrade Program / Retail Sales

Originally Posted by Kevin M.
Called Mobridge today, asked about the upgrade to bluetooth, got the run around from the guy.... Were out of stock, we've allocated this and that, maybe the end of June or July until we can do the upgrade, so looks like we should have waited to buy the bluetooth unit as they are just selling it to everyone.
Originally Posted by JRCTT
Kevin M - I called a few weeks ago and got the same run around, agreed we should have waited...
Dear KevinM and JRCTT:

Mudman and the other moderators know how much we (mObridge) hate to post our commercial chatter in the public forums, but just wanted to set the record straight due to the negative sentiments.

Sorry to have created this perception. This is no "run-around" but the plain fact of the situation.

All along, the staff at mObridge have answered this question with the response that any potential (or planned) upgrade/exchange program for original Audio units purchased prior to April 2008 for Bluetooth-iPod Combo would not be until summer, at least June, but no guarantees on that because supply will be tight for the first several of sales.

We are simply out-of-stock on Bluetooth units, and everything else that comes from the factory for about the next month is already sold under contract and must be delivered to the wholesale and distribution channels per our binding agreements with those B2B customers. Anything left over can be sold direct or used in such an exchange program. Otherwise, we will not survive as a company to even be around to offer such a program.

It is unfortunate but to properly ramp up production the initial run was only in the hundreds and was as you can imagine absorbed by the world market within about 1 week simply mostly in just 1-2 dealer/installer piece orders that had been in the queue for months. There may have been a few retail/direct exceptions here and there, but only once the distribution channel orders had been fulfilled. By perhaps end-July, there will be several thousand Bluetooth units out in the market pipeline in various sales channels so this should ease the situation enough that we could probably honor upgrades at that timing. Some buyers that purchased through dealers/installers have been lucky enough to have their installer simply take the iPod unit and stock it on the shelf in exchange for a Bluetooth unit. We don't necessarily recommend that approach to anyone, but that's up to the customer and their store.

So these are the facts, plain and simple, sorry if I created any confusion or misconception when I spoke with you recently.

Thanks everyone as always for your support and patience during the first few months of bringing a complex product to market.

Best,
Scott
mObridge

Last edited by mObridge; 06-04-2008 at 12:02 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-04-2008 | 08:36 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scott/ Mobridge -

Thanks for the reply here. If these small issues can be ironed out the end result should be a very smooth system. I already sent an email to "support" and am hoping for a quick response from them/you for the .ini adjustment. Thanks once again
Old 06-04-2008 | 12:42 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

Originally Posted by mObridge
eclou,

Very sorry for your frustrations, but this is what is necessary to install the system with combined iPod and Bluetooth into the Porsche.

At this time, the dealer PIWIS tester is the only way to make that setting adjustment AND turning off the CDC interface (PCM will still present the CDC/iPod regardless - sounds counterintuitive but it's true) to suppress that error is both expected and necessary unless you don't mind putting up with the error [it is harmless, however an annoyance]. When installations are done on your own, there are going to be nuances like this that you face that the installer has simply experienced and has been trained and can quickly adjust/remedy. That is one of the differences between the $900 or so DIY install and up to $1500, maybe more the dealer is charging for the system. Actually that $600 that would have been made by the dealer is now flowing right out of our of our own company pockets to support DIY install adjustments like this, so please do keep that in mind as we work through this.

As far the low audio goes, yes there are ways to adjust this as several on this thread have mentioned, including via an .INI file on the SD card we can give you if you email support@mobridge-usa.com, and we will make sure we get your audio tuned up properly.

Sincerely,

mObridge Support Team
Since you are out here on the forum now would you like to address the possibility for an upgrade plan to all of us who ordered a unit through the group buy unaware of the fact that the bluetooth would be out shortly after the purchase? That is the topic of this post...

EDIT: guess I was slow on the draw on this one you must have been addressing this as I was typing - thanks

Last edited by JRCTT; 06-04-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2008 | 07:45 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

well, no reply email from support/Scott today. Still waiting for the .ini tweak
Old 06-04-2008 | 11:55 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

How does one prevent the ipod unit from starting on the same track every single startup? It is driving me crazy
Old 06-05-2008 | 07:55 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

It sounds like your on the wrong software version, that problem went away some time ago with me. It starts on the last song that was playing BUT it starts to play linear and not the random I had previously set.

Do you know the software version you have ? Select CD 6 then Mobridge, it will tell you under track SW VER
Old 06-05-2008 | 10:17 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

my BT version is 1.00.06
my SW version is 1.02.01

I see on the website the latest BT is 1.3.0 and I will upload that to the car. Should I also upload the audio SW or is it even possible to do both?

Last edited by eclou; 06-05-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2008 | 12:14 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I think the 1.02.01 is what I am running on. The problem would point to the power supply your using. If the power is not constant power, the mobridge is booting from scratch everytime, thus the first track will play on load.

I hooked mine up the the power used for the CD Changer which has to be on all the time for it to boot.

Not sure about the fuse location on an 08, its in the handbook tho, mine was drivers side fuse box, something like location 17.
Old 06-05-2008 | 12:42 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I tapped into the "30" pin on the back of the PCM that is definitely constant power (+), and the "31" pin for constant ground (-). This is as advised on the Mobridge install tips for Porsche. I am guessing that is not the issue
Old 06-06-2008 | 01:58 AM
hindibuff
Advanced

wow!!
BT units out now. Awesome. Wil someone be able to give us some good pictures of screens and other things. I have a 06 Cay without CD Changer. My PCM has dedicated phone buttons as well as the keypad. Are we saying that one can use the keypad to dial out numbers as well as the address book on the screen? That would be totally sweet.

Feedback people, feedback please.
Old 06-09-2008 | 12:07 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just returned from a 2000 mile trip from Houston to Peoria. The BT was totally useless as no volume from outside callers could be heard at all. I attempted to flash to the latest BT software but nothing happened at all when I put the SD card in.

For the entire journey, every 30-40 minutes the Nav would read "Nav Error" and then restart the Nav, which in turn would switch the current ipod selection to the first song of the first alphabetical album on the ipod. I got to really hate that song. Twice on the trip the PCM randomly switched from the ipod to the radio.

As I understand from Scott I am supposed to deactivate the CD changer setting on my PCM via PIWIS. I will attempt to do this next week and see if all the quirks are solved. Somehow I am very skeptical, as already Scott has emailed me that they can do nothing about the Bluetooth volume. At this point I cannot honestly recommend this unit to anyone.
Old 06-09-2008 | 08:55 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Wow sounds bad.

1 - Do you hear anything at all from BT ?
2 - The Error you mention is a powerup boot event which would indicate that either you lost power to PCM or something forced it to reboot, powerconnections ok ?
3 - BT volume is controlled by audio system volume, is that working OK ?
4 - When you load the new SW on the SD Card your supposed to leave it for up to 10 minutes with the ignition on for it to load, then you would see the change in version under the menu (I made that mistake) Also I found it to be picky about which SD card I used. I have some ol 64mb ones that would not work at all.

I still have not had my CDC disabled via PIWIS but only get the error once and its more an annoyance than anything. Makes not different to performance.
Old 06-09-2008 | 11:09 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
Wow sounds bad.

1 - Do you hear anything at all from BT ?
2 - The Error you mention is a powerup boot event which would indicate that either you lost power to PCM or something forced it to reboot, powerconnections ok ?
3 - BT volume is controlled by audio system volume, is that working OK ?
4 - When you load the new SW on the SD Card your supposed to leave it for up to 10 minutes with the ignition on for it to load, then you would see the change in version under the menu (I made that mistake) Also I found it to be picky about which SD card I used. I have some ol 64mb ones that would not work at all.

I still have not had my CDC disabled via PIWIS but only get the error once and its more an annoyance than anything. Makes not different to performance.
1)If I turn up the PCM volume to MAX I can hear a faint voice but also extremely amplified noise floor from the amp. Of course, when it switches off the BT then the PCM volume is on KILL

2)power connections are all fine. I only tapped into the 30 and 31 constant wires on the ISO connectors for power.

3)see 1

4)will try again. On the Mobridge instructions it said no more than 30 sec to load.

Once again the most disconcerting is the BT volume issue. I have Parrot 3000's and 3100's on my other cars along with a Motorola 1000. All work fine with my current Moto Razr V9's. Since the Mobridge is touted as Parrot based I did not expect any issues.
Old 06-09-2008 | 01:08 PM
mObridge
Former Vendor

Default Support Response

Originally Posted by eclou
I attempted to flash to the latest BT software but nothing happened at all when I put the SD card in.
Again, I'm sorry we have to bring this out to the forums, but sorry Eclou, mObridge's support sent you a support response and we did not see a response back, but then we see complaints about support out here in the forums, after we didn't even get a chance to resolve the last set of questions.

If the SD card is formatted improperly (FAT32) it won't be recognized or sometimes the odd card doesn't get automatically recognized (similar to how that happens when you stick one into a windows machine and it doesn't see it). If you have the opportunity, you might try a different card.

Just a precaution to anyone software updating: Whatever you do, don't shut off the car for 10 min. after attempting a software update because the car could power down before all the software is rewritten, corrupting the software. There is an automatic recovery process, but we'd rather avoid that if at all possible.

... I only tapped into the 30 and 31 constant wires on the ISO connectors for power.
It appears all of your power connections were made correctly.

As I understand from Scott I am supposed to deactivate the CD changer setting on my PCM via PIWIS. I will attempt to do this next week and see if all the quirks are solved. Somehow I am very skeptical, as already Scott has emailed me that they can do nothing about the Bluetooth volume. At this point I cannot honestly recommend this unit to anyone.

It is true you are going to need to flip that CD changer activation to off by way of the dealer's PIWIS.

Again, our last support email, the questions were not fully resolved. If there was an email missed in either direction, sorry that was the case. We did not say there was nothing we could do about the Bluetooth volume, but we were trying to confirm some things. If you could, take this issue back to email so we can continue to try to resolve it properly, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 06-09-2008 | 01:21 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin M.
Called Mobridge today, asked about the upgrade to bluetooth, got the run around from the guy.... Were out of stock, we've allocated this and that, maybe the end of June or July until we can do the upgrade, so looks like we should have waited to buy the bluetooth unit as they are just selling it to everyone.
I am in the same boat. I think it would have been better if we knew the long timeframe for the upgrade. I would have just cancelled my audio order, and ordered a Bluetooth unit. I have been seeing some issues with the Bluetooth unit now with eclou, so I am not sure what to do.

Seems like a good amount of people are installing the Bluetooth unit. Scott, maybe you can make an exception for some of the folks here at forum that have been very enthusiatic about your products. I think it is a little unfair that some people ordered the bluetooth after we ordered the audio unit, and they received the bluetooth and we have to wait indefinately. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: *****mObridge Group Buy*****