Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all right let the flames begin.....LOL
Old 11-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by Erik@GBox
Well I can not say that I do not want one, because I certainly do. The new 911 turbo is absolutely the finest automobile made today as far as I am concerned, and I would recommend getting it in the PDK, which might surprise some people. I like the fact that the new turbo will finally have paddle shift. However, should you decide to get one in the more traditional 6 speed manual transmission, then I recommend being gentle with the gearbox. Do not try to keep up with the PDK stats as this will only show the weakness of the manual gearbox, and cost you several thousand dollars to fix.

However if you do decide to try to beat the stats and do indeed blow up your gearbox, please do give me a call, we are one of the only shops that can actually work on one of these.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
GBox Sales Manager
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
Looks like computer technology and over 30 years of development have made the Manual Transmission obsolete! Now don't freak out and start flaming because I know the Six Speed manual is still a lot more fun to drive, and it seems like you are more plugged into the car. But cannot deny the fact the the PDK will put up faster numbers just because of the technology. Sadly using your foot to clutch and right hand to shift produces slower gear changing; cannot make up for the fractions of seconds that the PDK cuts out!

Now on a side note ask a master racer to pilot their new GT3RS around "THE RING" with a Manual Trans while I pilot a new 3.8 Liter TT with PDK and see who wins? Know I sure wouldn't hang!!!
Old 11-07-2009, 01:19 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I can not say that I do not want one, because I certainly do. The new 911 turbo is absolutely the finest automobile made today as far as I am concerned, and I would recommend getting it in the PDK, which might surprise some people. I like the fact that the new turbo will finally have paddle shift. However, should you decide to get one in the more traditional 6 speed manual transmission, then I recommend being gentle with the gearbox. Do not try to keep up with the PDK stats as this will only show the weakness of the manual gearbox, and cost you several thousand dollars to fix.

However if you do decide to try to beat the stats and do indeed blow up your gearbox, please do give me a call, we are one of the only shops that can actually work on one of these.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
GBox Sales Manager
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
Are you referring to the G50 6 speed? There are lots of shops that work on these. If it's the aisin 6 speed that's different.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:26 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
GBox Sales Manager
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
Not wishing to start another reliability hoohaa but the PDK boxes remain largely unproven themselves. Doesn't mean that they are free of faults just because we haven't heard anything about failures... That probably has more to do with the fact that they've only been in the lower powered variants for just over 12 months...

They claim the clutch packs in them will last the life of the car. Either the life of the car has been shortened according to Porsche or they have got their act together. All that I will say is that Porsche claimed the same for PCCBs when they were first released. The claims disappeared when guys were having to replace them within 100K kms, track guys within 20K km...Time will tell... my 2 cents...

I repeat! Not saying the 6 speed is better... just stating some facts about the alternative...
Old 11-07-2009, 03:16 PM
RPMert
Advanced

I'd definitely get this car with PDK. It's got so much performance my body and brain can't keep up with it and needs help.

BTW, since "PDK" showed up in F1, have the drivers quit because the don't have that "connection" to their cars anymore? (joking)
Old 11-07-2009, 07:00 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Facts are not going to dissuade the detractors of PDK or the 9A1. Their objections are purely hypothetical ("rumors" that the 9A1 has to be internally strenghtened to accomadate more horsepower etc.) You will rarely, if ever get a straight answer from these people. They fancy themselves to be "race car drivers" and...yet....the real race car drivers of F1 have eschewed the traditional manual transmission.

We have heard testimonials on RL from many self described "hard core manual" people who have been quite impressed by the PDK stating that it is both challenging and quite "engaging" contrary to the claims of its detractors.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:47 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Facts are not going to dissuade the detractors of PDK or the 9A1. Their objections are purely hypothetical ("rumors" that the 9A1 has to be internally strenghtened to accomadate more horsepower etc.) You will rarely, if ever get a straight answer from these people. They fancy themselves to be "race car drivers" and...yet....the real race car drivers of F1 have eschewed the traditional manual transmission.

We have heard testimonials on RL from many self described "hard core manual" people who have been quite impressed by the PDK stating that it is both challenging and quite "engaging" contrary to the claims of its detractors.
People are free to form their own opinion- forums provide a means for information, opinions and experience to be shared so people can see beyond the hype and manufacturers' biased claims, concocted from marketing departments to sell a product... from then on its each to their own for preference...

Anyone capable of buying a Porsche, is also capable of determining what best fulfills their needs... If not, they definitely haven't done their homework...
Old 11-08-2009, 10:32 AM
saba
AutoX

Well, I told my wife about this threat and that I don't understand that new things have to be blamed before even tested. The only thing she had to say was " Isn't that a Volkswagen engine anyway!?" ;-)
Old 11-08-2009, 12:43 PM
inactiveuser1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saba
Well, I told my wife about this threat and that I don't understand that new things have to be blamed before even tested. The only thing she had to say was " Isn't that a Volkswagen engine anyway!?" ;-)
Shes close ;-)my friends call it alittle different than just a Volkswagon......... they call it a
Glorified Volkswagon
Old 11-08-2009, 12:56 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well with the VW buyout of Porsche I guess they can say it with even more justification now.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Stradale
Advanced

Originally Posted by boolala
(the "bad news", of course, is for those who bought the previous generation):

2-3 years worth of fun/ownership with a Turbo .1 can hardly be considered "bad news"........... But waiting that long to buy a .2 now & then taking delivery with the S probably right around the corner could be. Plus of course then there's the pictures you'll be seeing soon of the next 911....

Because you can never get ahead w/ Porsche by waiting for the latest, they make so many changes w/ the 911, the real sweet spot for buying these car's is getting the earliest version possible, enjoying it till the next completely new car comes out. Waiting for .2's, waiting for the 'latest' is a sure way of self-fulfilling certain disappointment, envy, once the next 911 Turbo comes out.

If you weren't in the market during the first year of so of the Turbo then it's another story.

All imo of course.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Stradale
2-3 years worth of fun/ownership with a Turbo .1 can hardly be considered "bad news"........... But waiting that long to buy a .2 now & then taking delivery with the S probably right around the corner could be. Plus of course then there's the pictures you'll be seeing soon of the next 911....

Because you can never get ahead w/ Porsche by waiting for the latest, they make so many changes w/ the 911, the real sweet spot for buying these car's is getting the earliest version possible, enjoying it till the next completely new car comes out. Waiting for .2's, waiting for the 'latest' is a sure way of self-fulfilling certain disappointment, envy, once the next 911 Turbo comes out.

If you weren't in the market during the first year of so of the Turbo then it's another story.

All imo of course.
I agree entirely...but if you're like many Turbo buyers like me, the purchase is dictated by a combiantion of the new vehicle, cash flow and fundementally...mood. I'm doing OK BUT this was still a huge play for me and my family. This was the year to pull the trigger driven primarily (for my family) by the PDK and what I read - and 'buy in' by my wife who is anxious to drive it (now). Thinking about the 998 Turbo in fall of 2013 OK maybe...if the stars are in alignment... but moreso over it being the latest and or greatest...
Old 12-04-2009, 12:18 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Stradale

All imo of course.
I'd like to have one of these or a '10 GT3. That's the part of me that likes to
chase the "latest and most current" iteration of things. OTOH, I'd also love to have a 246GTS, a BMW 3.0CS, the green RS in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW4RORdnrOI
a 904 and an FJ40 Landcruiser as my keepers!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:16 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, recent tests in R&T show the PDK to shift slow and lazily & shift early when hot - their testing/track use in the mid-80s.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by Overdraft
I agree entirely...but if you're like many Turbo buyers like me, the purchase is dictated by a combiantion of the new vehicle, cash flow and fundementally...mood. I'm doing OK BUT this was still a huge play for me and my family. This was the year to pull the trigger driven primarily (for my family) by the PDK and what I read - and 'buy in' by my wife who is anxious to drive it (now). Thinking about the 998 Turbo in fall of 2013 OK maybe...if the stars are in alignment... but moreso over it being the latest and or greatest...
Can you wait another four years to pull the trigger? I know I will be wanting the 998 when it comes out so do you think I should wait too? This is the conundrum we face everyday.

Quick Reply: The Bad News piles up about the new Turbo