Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Bad News piles up about the new Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:15 AM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO, expecting new Porsche technology to be bulletproof straight out of the gate is a bit like marrying a hooker and expecting her to remain monogamous.

Porsche engineering can be incredible but as M96 IMS failures, Cayenne plastic coolant tubes, and first gen ceramic brakes demonstrate, it isn't always dependable.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:54 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've never heard of a hooker having a warranty, but perhaps it's something to think about!

Old 12-24-2009, 03:45 PM
inactiveuser1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the new engine will be ok,not sure how long the article has been out but alittle more info on the car.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review
"The elaborate dry-sump-lubrication system, with its external tank, has also been changed to the standard 911 design with an integrated oil reservoir at the bottom of the engine, although separated from the crankcase. However, in the Turbo’s case, six—rather than four—oil-scavenge pumps are used to return oil to this reservoir because the two turbochargers each require a dedicated oil return."
At least they explain more about the oiling in the article sounds like more oil pumps also used for return oil to the reservoir and each turbo has dedicated oil return.Doesn't sound like it will starve for oil.
Also better clutch plates in the auto trans and extra plates sounds like what I wrote about in the clutch plates in the trans I had done up in my street strip car,tried to explain thats what they would have to do on plates if needed.
"This transmission is much like the one introduced last year on the regular 911, except that it gets larger-diameter clutch plates as well as an extra pair in each pack to cope with the Turbo engine’s greater torque"
This was a better article from them than most so far.

One question is with talk of old engine being dry sump and new engine still uses integrated dry sump its just not a tank outside,its a tank part of the engine which still feeds the oil level the same way so how is it not doing the same job?I know aftermarket dry sumps are just pressurized oil to feed oil when cornering or when oil gets away from a pickup to me it sounds the same its just now part of the motor.
Off the site is
Integrated dry-sump lubrication ensures a reliable supply of oil even when a sporty driving style is adopted. It also has additional cooling functions. The oil tank is located in the engine, thereby eliminating the need for an external oil tank.

A total of seven oil pumps ensures the supply of oil. Six of those return the oil from the cylinder heads and exhaust gas turbochargers directly to the oil sump where a seventh oil pump feeds oil directly to the lubrication points in the engine.

Also the 928 one year used what they called squirter block where it sprayed extra oil and they used the aluminum block so sounds similar not sure if its the same this was the way they did it back in 1987 on the 928s4 in picture below.Looks to be all the tech they used of different models over the years now put into the newer motor.
Off the site is similar useage
The alloy crankcase is divided vertically, with the cylinders integrated into the crankcase. Forged connecting rods are used. For optimal durability, we’ve used forged aluminum pistons running in cylinders made from an aluminum/silicon alloy and cooled via individual oil-spray jets.

Last edited by inactiveuser1; 06-04-2013 at 01:46 AM.

Quick Reply: The Bad News piles up about the new Turbo