Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Bad News piles up about the new Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:39 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We'll always be reaching for something better and more updated - ya gotta pick your target at the time that best suits *you* - and go.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:33 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
We'll always be reaching for something better and more updated - ya gotta pick your target at the time that best suits *you* - and go.
Absolutely.

And, yet, some people have recently had the option of either the gen 1 or gen 2 997 turbo and foolishly chose the former.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Whose turn is it to feed the troll ?
Just wondering...
Old 12-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Whose turn is it to feed the troll ?
Just wondering...
Unfortunately Rennlist has recently gone way over quota and cleaned out my supplies of troll food.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Coochas
Unfortunately Rennlist has recently gone way over quota and cleaned out my supplies of troll food.
I will speak with the Admin and see if I can obtain an official Rennlist Troll Hunting License...I'm sure it's similar to a Snipe hunting license.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I will speak with the Admin and see if I can obtain an official Rennlist Troll Hunting License...I'm sure it's similar to a Snipe hunting license.
Cool.
I went to sleep away camp as a kid and the counselors dragged us all out of bed at 3 AM because the dreaded snipe had been spotted on the grounds. One of the counselors then showed up with a sack containing something flapping around and then proceeded to club it to death. It terrified me at the time until my older brother later explained to me that it was a chicken. Still,....jeez.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

And now.....The Snipe

Old 12-09-2009, 05:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

And now, a public service announcement on behalf of dry sumps everywhere....

Old 12-09-2009, 06:59 PM
boolala
Race Car

This month's Car and Driver magazine has a preview article about the new turbo motor. Some highlights about the new car: more efficient intercoolers, direct injection, a lighter valvetrain that allows an increase in redline from 6600 to 7000 rpm, increased horsepower in spite of lower boost pressure, GT2 intake manifold, larger intake valves, better fuel consumption. A heavy duty version of the new PDK transmission, torque vectoring and suspension improvements.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:42 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Cool.
I went to sleep away camp as a kid and the counselors dragged us all out of bed at 3 AM because the dreaded snipe had been spotted on the grounds. One of the counselors then showed up with a sack containing something flapping around and then proceeded to club it to death. It terrified me at the time until my older brother later explained to me that it was a chicken. Still,....jeez.
God Gawd, Doc. I did not know that Stephen King started his career as a camp counselor.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
God Gawd, Doc. I did not know that Stephen King started his career as a camp counselor.
It really was a disturbed place.
They had a kangaroo court to punish kids and they would string them up by their arms and coat their armpits with peanut butter and pine needles. I kid you not as I watched this with my own eyes!
There was also a "sweat box" out in the sun that they locked you up in for being bad.
I think it had massively devolved from the place that my father had gone to as a child.
It was called Camp Lawrence for anyone wondering. When I left the island it was on, I remember waiving goodbye to my brother who stayed there a few weeks longer. It was like leaving Devil's Island in Papillon.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:21 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
This month's Car and Driver magazine has a preview article about the new turbo motor. Some highlights about the new car: more efficient intercoolers, direct injection, a lighter valvetrain that allows an increase in redline from 6600 to 7000 rpm, increased horsepower in spite of lower boost pressure, GT2 intake manifold, larger intake valves, better fuel consumption. A heavy duty version of the new PDK transmission, torque vectoring and suspension improvements.
Let me guess, observation made independently by C&D and not a whole lot of marketing baloney fed to them by someone trying to sell cars at an increased margin. Right?

It was so much nicer when you'd crawled under a rock the last time you made foolish comments. Now you're back calling others foolish... Buy what you will- the fool will be decided in years from now...
Old 12-10-2009, 05:12 PM
boolala
Race Car

Well we'll see what the final numbers look like. Some are predicting real world sub 3.0 sec 0 - 60 times for this car based upon Porsche's notoriously conservative estimates (3.2 sec with the PDK). I just wonder how much you would have to spend in addition to the cost of the base car for the gen 1 in order to see these kinds of performance figures. After all the 0 - 100 km sprint takes a full 3.7 sec with the 6 speed in the original 997 turbo. It is certainly possible that we will see no need to upgrade these engines in order to witness astounding performance numbers ( 0 - 60, quarter mile, track times etc). And then again your spectulation that this new motor is incapable of further horsepower upgrades is, at this point, just that--speculation. Or, more like wishful thinking and sour grapes.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:14 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Wooohooo... 0-60 in 3.2 hey... Yes, life must revolve around 0-60 sprints, i suppose.

Shame that with the new ultra fast turbo with the aid of its 500hp new generation motor, pdk and all of its other fancy gadgetry, only manages a NBR time of 7.39. Obviously irrelevant to you the that the GT3 with its ancient M64 motor and equally prehistoric 6-speed matches this time whilst the RS happens to be a whole 6-9sec faster... Did I mention lower power, much lower torque and equal power to weight ratio and the use of the old, laughable M64 and slush box, it already has the new car with super fast super slick gear changes licked anyway...

As for reliability, no speculation here just on your part. Fact- the M64 is bulletproof and can lap the NBR or your neighbourhood all day long. Fact: the 9A1 is ??? Only time will tell except in your mind where it has already been classed the best thing since sliced cheese...
Old 12-11-2009, 08:59 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Still waiting for a ruling on the permission to hunt snipe (troll)...

Quick Reply: The Bad News piles up about the new Turbo