Sponsored by:

The Bad News piles up about the new Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
No, we'll just put him into the P&C subforum for a few days...pretty sure that will change things a bit.
Hmmn, memo to self: remember to feed the animals in P&C tonight.
I have that forum located in the same place as The Abyss. Basically it would take me a while to figure out how to get there if I wanted to. This way I'm safer.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, I show The Abyss MUCH more respect than P&C
Old 12-19-2009, 05:19 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by M928
I based it on 10-12 second because that is what most of todays factory performance cars are doing.
If you're claiming ("10-12 seconds which is also not the purpose of the turbo".)
Then what was the purpose of the launch control?
I don't think they had it in mind to go road racing..
Ever heard of the word gimick? Do you think Porsche really intended it for the drag strip? It was put there to run fast times in the hand of journalists for the purposes of comparing favourably in performance comparisons. The car is a high powered grand tourer.

If you spent your day at the drag strip and blew the thing to pieces, do you think Porsche would warranty it? "Yes sir, it is a drag strip must, let me just put another one in your car!" And for that matter, when did you last drive to work with a series of launches from each set of traffic lights you came to? It will very quickly become a rather unused feature once you've owned for longer than a week....

Talking of 1000+ kits have you ever priced one?Go back and check prices on 1000+upgrade More like $50,000.
My point is that it is modifiable to that point. Not that a 650hp and 1000hp kit each cost $20k. IMO drag cars are a waste of time, effort and money so I wouldn't spend any on them. Pretty unexciting sport unless cars are hitting walls...

Ever notice when a update kit of 700hp+ always includes a new clutch because the stock manuals can't take it without an updated clutch but the autos dont need an upgrade,don't count out the PDK yet.Look at the videos too of the really high horse kits they leave way softer with the manuals so they don't break anything or tear the clutches up in no time..The ET's are all over the place in the manual cars also which would make one of the worst drag cars you would be out in 1 round..
Are you for real? You've obviously spent a lot of time watching these vids and as you rightfully point out, the manual cars baby it off the line before unleashing.Yet in the same breathe you say don't count out pdk? What makes you think some 6 inch clutches in the pdk can be made to even handle that power, let alone use launch control to do what it does currently? F1 cars do it but with carbon fibre type clutches and even then can't repeat to many times. Put 1000hp behind a pdk and you'll probably be crapping schrapnel for the next month...

Your comparing a used car now with the prices,start with what the 997TT-1 cost new just about $3000 less and dollar for dollar comparing both cars new to new it less to achive faster times with the new car as its going to cost $10k to 20k over what someone paid new for the 997TT-1..
Addressed this in my response to the Boo.

Last edited by 911rox; 12-19-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:43 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
ltc - is it a Cayenne thing? I very rarely see someone poke a super-mod with a sharp stick....
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! Itc actually IS a rennlist.com moderator?!?!

Itc, the single most ANTI-PORSCHE poster on this PORSCHE forum is a moderator?!?!

I thought the "super moderator" was a twisted joke due to his hatred of all things Porsche.

That's fooked up

KMA
Old 12-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Johnny - ltc is a great Mod. He does not hate Porsches, although he was frightened by a Cayenne when he was a child. He does dislike W. Weideking, but he's gone now
Old 12-19-2009, 06:10 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For ltc to refer to others as a "troll", so glibly is indeed rich.

Here's a snippet from wikiepdia that well describes the phenomenon we have been witness to in this thread:

"Application of the term troll is highly subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. The term is often used as an ad hominem strategy to discredit an opposing position by attacking its proponent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
Old 12-19-2009, 06:29 PM
inactiveuser1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Ever heard of the word gimick? Do you think Porsche really intended it for the drag strip? It was put there to run fast times in the hand of journalists for the purposes of comparing favourably in performance comparisons. The car is a high powered grand tourer. .
I think they did it to compete more with the GT-R as they put in the launch control and found they had trouble thats why in one post I put Nissan started it Porsche will finish it.If I wanted a track car for road race would think more of the GT3 so high powered grand tourer is fine as 928 was grand tourer so better yet comfort and power.

If you spent your day at the drag strip and blew the thing to pieces, do you think Porsche would warranty it? "Yes sir, it is a drag strip must, let me just put another one in your car!" And for that matter, when did you last drive to work with a series of launches from each set of traffic lights you came to? It will very quickly become a rather unused feature once you've owned for longer than a week.......

If you spent your days at the road races,tracking the car ever weekend do you think they would warranty it?Yes sir its a track car.Maybe for you it might not be the feature but for me I like the idea as my street car never did see street tires those Goodyear Eagles aren't snow tires on it as in picture.Now with all wheel drive and PDK wont need the Goodyears as in picture,ran those all the time on the street.

My point is that it is modifiable to that point. Not that a 650hp and 1000hp kit each cost $20k. IMO drag cars are a waste of time, effort and money so I wouldn't spend any on them. Pretty unexciting sport unless cars are hitting walls....
Well if you would rather go road racing and hit walls for excitement thats up to you I'd rather be at drags and hopefuly away from the walls lol.When you are road racing are you going to say to insurance company yeah I was road racing when they are towing it out of the wall.

Are you for real? You've obviously spent a lot of time watching these vids and as you rightfully point out, the manual cars baby it off the line before unleashing.Yet in the same breathe you say don't count out pdk? What makes you think some 6 inch clutches in the pdk can be made to even handle that power, let alone use launch control to do what it does currently? F1 cars do it but with carbon fibre type clutches and even then can't repeat to many times. Put 1000hp behind a pdk and you'll probably be crapping schrapnel for the next month...
Hey I look at them to see what the cars are like before sinking money in them and can see the manuals wont take launches either or they wouldnt be babied taking off at the line so 1000hp kit would be out of the picture for both the manual and PDK. About the 1000hp kit as I see $50,000 as I sent link where do you see a 1000hp upgrade for $20,000?????
Here is 50,000
http://www.4wheelsnews.com/switzer-p...-sledgehammer/
How long will the clutch last seen guys complaining on GT2 about clutches and not as much power as the 1000hp kits so most likely neither will survive without going thru them so thats why I would count that kit out and the $50,000 is another.
Like I said before will have to wait for PDK to be tested a year or so and see what it handles.Know the manuals eat clutches after awhile so wouldnt go with 1000hp kit with either.
So whens the last time you have done either drag or road race?

Last edited by inactiveuser1; 06-04-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by boolala
For ltc to refer to others as a "troll", so glibly is indeed rich.

Here's a snippet from wikiepdia that well describes the phenomenon we have been witness to in this thread:

"Application of the term troll is highly subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. The term is often used as an ad hominem strategy to discredit an opposing position by attacking its proponent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
I'll see your snippet and raise you another.

From your post, please note: "Application of the term troll is highly subjective"
It was just an opinion (which by definition would be considered subjective) of one RL member by another RL member, with respect to this thread.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! Itc actually IS a rennlist.com moderator?!?!

Itc, the single most ANTI-PORSCHE poster on this PORSCHE forum is a moderator?!?!

I thought the "super moderator" was a twisted joke due to his hatred of all things Porsche.

That's fooked up

KMA
Someday, when I grow up, I'm going to own a PORSCHE, but until then, I'm afraid this is all I've got.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:55 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

M928, you don't seem to understand my responses so rather than repeat myself over and over again, I'll just let it be.

As for your final question, not that it is relevant, but I am no stranger to either.... Currently waiting on local track to re-open to test a couple mods made to my car...This is the only reason I use a drag strip. To gauge the improvement of modifications to my everyday car, not to drag race for a hobby...

As for road racing, if you are refering to street racing, it is generally frowned upon by fellow posters so I won't be going into any detail but in recent years I have chosen to behave in a manner more appropriate for my age....
Old 12-19-2009, 07:19 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc

From your post, please note: "Application of the term troll is highly subjective"
It was just an opinion (which by definition would be considered subjective) of one RL member by another RL member, with respect to this thread.
Nice one ltc...
Old 12-19-2009, 08:01 PM
boolala
Race Car

.....in recent years I have chosen to behave in a manner more appropriate for my age....
And that would be what, again? Sixteen years old?

One stands in awe of rox's (is that the proper spelling of the possessive?) astounding illogic. How one person can hold such contradictory positions without flinching is, indeed, a marvel (and a mystery) of the human mind.

When we point out that the new turbo outperforms the 997-1 in the quarter mile he comes back with the argument that 1/4 mile times do not alone characterize performance. Then when it is pointed out that it outperforms the outgoing turbo at the ring as well he comes back with the argument that if all you wanted were the cheap thrills afforded by a fast car it could be done more economically with a Ariel Atom. When you persist in mentioning that not only does the new turbo destroy the old in the quarter mile by 1 sec (an eternity by the standards of a short sprint) AND by 10 seconds around the ring (also an eternity) he will also point out that the new turbo cannot be modded to the same horsepower levels as the old. Then the obvious rejoinder is that perhaps given the intrinsic performance of this new car it is not necessary to mod it to give it exceptional performance. Since, in stock form, the new turbo is outperforming many highly modded 997-1s with much more horsepower what is the point of flogging this engine? More to the point: if performance is not important why in the world are you driving a turbo anyway and why do you feel the need to mod it?? The he will come back and say that he hopes Porsche will fail in this endeavor in order that he may be proved "right" and be able to assert that "he told us so."

So is that your "final answer", rox?
Old 12-19-2009, 08:03 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by ltc

I see so, since it's so subjective, you would have no objections if I referred to your participation as "trolling?"

Is that right, ltc?
Old 12-19-2009, 08:19 PM
inactiveuser1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M928, you don't seem to understand my responses so rather than repeat myself over and over again, I'll just let it be.....
Well after seeing the 2 cars the 928 and the drag street strip car I wouldn't think it would be hard to understand why I would want to see the PDK with launch control tested as that car would replace both with one car.

As for your final question, not that it is relevant, but I am no stranger to either.... Currently waiting on local track to re-open to test a couple mods made to my car...This is the only reason I use a drag strip. To gauge the improvement of modifications to my everyday car, not to drag race for a hobby...
Well thats cool if your tracking the car and using the drag strip to test.That is one main reason I used to like to drag race I could always do changes to the car to see if it was faster.Some changes worked some didn't.When I first had the car it only did 9.3 in 1/8th mile and after years of trying different changes it ran 7.0 in 1/8th.
To some that may not sound like alot but stock the car would only do close to 100 in the 1/4 mile and after all the mods it ran closer to 97mph in the 1/8 so nearly same mph in 1/2 the distance.

As for road racing, if you are refering to street racing, it is generally frowned upon by fellow posters so I won't be going into any detail but in recent years I have chosen to behave in a manner more appropriate for my age....
Not talking of street racing,I called it road racing or like some say track the car as one of the tracks in NY were alot go is:
http://www.theglen.com/Car-Club-Corr...ub-Corral.aspx
Other than that still wanted to know if there was 1000hp kit for $20k and link as I only found 1 for $50k if it was 20k then that would be quit an improvement for the money.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by boolala
I see so, since it's so subjective, you would have no objections if I referred to your participation as "trolling?"

Is that right, ltc?
But of course you can have your own opinion, be my guest.
Consider this your "training wheels" period.
When you graduate, you can move up to P&C.
I only come here to take a break from those inmates.

Quick Reply: The Bad News piles up about the new Turbo