Sponsored by:

The Bad News piles up about the new Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:06 AM
inactiveuser1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
I know... I was being sarcastic with the comments about losing the license, not literal... Just pointing out that 0-60 times are just as much for bragging rights as top speed and NBR lap times...

Personally, I won't even waste my time dragging from the lights unless I'm the underdog. Therefore having a car with spacecraft performance would suck for me. I don't want to show some slow assed chevy dude that I can leave him half a block behind... I want to disappoint the dude who has paid 4 times what I have for my car and thinks he's all that and the rest! I have left 996 Carrera's behind in my modded Nissan and even taken a crack at an F430. We both knew who was going to lose but we took it to over 120mph for the hell of it. The same philosophy will apply with the GT3 when it arrives next year, all be it on the track...

If driving a stock 997TT just hope its not the Chevy dude in a new ZR1 as stock to stock he may not only give you a run for the money but take some too just don't place any bets stock to stock up against a new ZR1.The 2009 model ran close time 0-60 3.3 and real low 11's quarter and bragging rights or not it's the quickest at Nurburgring in 2009.If 0-60,1/4mile and NBR are only bragging rights what else do you use a performance car for?Not for groceries!
Most likely the low 3's and 1/4 mile times are also spinning the tires with better rubber most likely its even faster.Too bad it doesnt come with something like a PDK!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQaas...om=PL&index=33
The 2010 model with manual trans and launch control may be faster?

Last edited by inactiveuser1; 12-16-2009 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:28 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

^^^ As far as I'm conerned, they are all performance indicators, one of acceleration, the other outright power and gearing and the NBR an indicator of power/handling/ braking package... It was Boolala who had dismissed the later two as bragging rights whilst implying the 0-60mph was a performance indicator (as it suited his argument for the 2010 TT)...

You are right about the ZR1 but they are poorly manufactured IMO and reliability issues present sooner rather than later... They certainly perform however...
Old 12-16-2009, 05:14 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a lingering problem with reading comprehension I see.

I never stated that NBR times and top speed were not performance indicators. What I said was that 0 - 60 times were, for most TT drivers, a more practical indicator in day to day use. Even hard core track guys still use their TT overwhelmingly as a daily driver.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:40 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
...Even hard core track guys still use their TT overwhelmingly as a daily driver.
Perhaps due to the fact that "hard core track guys" (which you might refer to as "drivers"...or as GhettoRacer would say "drovers"...speaking of which you sort of remind me of GR, but I digress) have dedicated/properly equipped track cars, like, say, a Cup car.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:49 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I DD mine in addition to about 25 track days a yr in the black group.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:08 PM
boolala
Race Car

OK, guys, how many of you have actually been limited by the top speed of this car?

And, of those who have, how many of you think that even a tiny minority of TT owners will ever experience it?

As I see it top speed is for bragging rights only.

What percentage of TT owners actually track their cars (even one day a year)? I'm betting it is a very small minority.

That's why I think that metrics like 0 - 60, 0 - 100 etc are more important in a practical sense.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Vaino
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Performance is all relative. A 70's vintage big block will be faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile, but we would never consider them as part of this thread as they are too narrowly focused. The beauty of the TT (Regardless of 997.1 or 997.2) is its overall performance. Track, drive to the grocery, open her up to 200mph on the autobahn. There are very few cars which can do all of these well, and make the driver smile ear to ear in the process. The current generation Corvettes are bargains for the " empirical performance". They don't however provide the driver with the same sense of quality nor feedback in the driving experience. Most magazine articles comment on the lack of elements. It doesn't translate solely in 0-60 etc,. It really depends on what is important to the driver.

We all have our own criteria we use as our guide, and each will speak passionately on to it.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Alex (UK)
Racer

I'd say 0 to anything is totally irrelevant in the real world. You never ever do full-bore launches on public roads. At least I haven't in 5 years of various 997 ownership. This is why I always use 100-200kph as the best real world indication of how fast a car is, at least in a straight line.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:29 PM
boolala
Race Car

So comparing unmoddded 997.1 to 997.2 turbos both the manual and PDK versions of the new cars outperform the old by this criterion (and just about every other metric).
Old 12-16-2009, 07:02 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

It was Boolala who had dismissed the later two as bragging rights whilst implying the 0-60mph was a performance indicator (as it suited his argument for the 2010 TT)...)
You have a lingering problem with reading comprehension I see.
I never stated that NBR times and top speed were not performance indicators. What I said was that 0 - 60 times were, for most TT drivers, a more practical indicator in day to day use. Even hard core track guys still use their TT overwhelmingly as a daily driver.
As I see it top speed is for bragging rights only.

What percentage of TT owners actually track their cars (even one day a year)? I'm betting it is a very small minority.

That's why I think that metrics like 0 - 60, 0 - 100 etc are more important in a practical sense.
You were saying??? I'd say that I'm comprehending just fine... as for you... ain't so sure!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 07:07 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

So comparing unmoddded 997.1 to 997.2 turbos both the manual and PDK versions of the new cars outperform the old by this criterion (and just about every other metric).
Comparing new and old, the new 500 hp TT can only manage a 100-200kph time equal to that of the new naturally 435hp aspirated GT3 in manual format and I'd say with shorter gearing and more HP the new RS manual will give your PDK masterpiece a run for its moneyin the middle sector. It would almost match the manual from 0-200 in any case... So in what way is the new so much better than the old?... Fact is that we will never know as there will never be a M64 in the new turbo to compare... Otherwise IMO performance would be the same... Reliability, I'm not yet convinced...

Last edited by 911rox; 12-16-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:11 PM
boolala
Race Car

You were saying??? I'd say that I'm comprehending just fine... as for you... ain't so sure!!!
And you've just demonstrated that you still don't get it.

Let's go over this again: top speed and NBR times are unquestionably performance indicators.

They're just not of pracitcal value given the way most TT owners use their cars.

My point is that straight line performance (no matter how you choose to measure it whether it be 0 - 60, 0 - 120, 60 - 120 etc) is far more important in the context in which most TT owners use their cars than NBR times, top speed (or if you like g forces and slalom times).
Old 12-16-2009, 08:24 PM
inactiveuser1
Burning Brakes

Comparing new and old, the new 500 hp TT can only manage a 100-200kph time equal to that of the new naturally 435hp aspirated GT3 in manual format and I'd say with shorter gearing and more HP the new RS manual will give your PDK masterpiece a run for its moneyin the middle sector. It would almost match the manual from 0-200 in any case... So in what way is the new so much better than the old?... Fact is that we will never know as there will never be a M64 in the new turbo to compare... Otherwise IMO performance would be the same... Reliability, I'm not yet convinced...
Saying the GT3 with shorter gearing and more horsepower is like saying put more gearing and more boost into the new turbo car.
Talking stock to stock here.
The new turbo is more of a street car and the GT3 is more of a track car.They may be close 100-200kph,the new turbo has less boost than the old turbo more for drivability gas milage etc but with better all around performance and still lays down some really good numbers.Comparing the 100 to 200kph of the GT3 to the new 997TT of only .3 faster is like saying the GT2 is only .4 faster than the new turbo.At those speeds 3 or 4 tenths is alot to make up.As for the 1/4mile or aprox. 0-200 11.3 compared to a (12.3 on the gt3) or (12.1 on the old turbo) the new turbo 0-200 would suck the headlights out of both in 1/4mile comparing all cars being stock out of the showroom floor.
11.3 to a 12.3 is a good 10car lengths give a take alittle.Go to the drags and watch or run a car running low 11's to low 12's in a heads up race then you will know how much distance it is.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would be more than happy to take you out onto the track in my lowly 996 Turbo or Cup Car.
Furthermore I promise to NOT go past 4th year...we can chat on the front stretch, stretch arms and legs, perhaps even have a cup of coffee. Feel free to wave to your friends in the paddock as we saunter by (I'll be too busy with one arm out the window pointing everyone by)
However, I reserve the right to drive the turns (those are the parts of the track that aren't straight) in a proper fashion.
And, as a token of goodwill, I will promise to pay the bill to have the Code Brown removed from your undergarments.

In exchange, you can offer me a ride in your car and demonstrate 0-60 and 0-100...I will even bring an airsick bag so you can demonstrate 0-100-0 for me.
Furthermore, I promise I will NOT produce a Code Brown moment and ruin your passenger seat.

Happy Holidays,
Old 12-16-2009, 08:48 PM
boolala
Race Car

Lots of bravado; little of relevance to the subject at hand.

Keep it up ltc.....

Quick Reply: The Bad News piles up about the new Turbo