Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Bad News piles up about the new Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 04:18 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in a desperate attempt to get attention, i'd like to say i love the new turbo, think it's cool, fast and will be durable.

additionally, i don't think the old ones are bad at all. i may buy one.

apologies in advance for the vacuous post.

MODS - pls change me from "addict" to "rennlist anarchist"
Old 12-19-2009, 05:21 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Seriously, one of the reasons you've dug yourself into such a rhetorical hole is because you've tried to make this issue a referendum about me. The sooner you return to debating the facts of the matter, the more credibility you will have. If you like to see how a mature adult approaches this topic take a look at the posts above by eclou and TB993tt and some others, ltc excluded.

Now maybe you could comment on the post made earlier today where the new turbo did 0 - 60 in 3 seconds flat. That's almost a full second faster than the outgoing model.

I know that something like this is painful for you to acknowledge and that it is much easier for you divert people's attention by focusing on me personally.

You can keep it up, if you wish, but (as before) it will get you absolutely nowhere.
The only person in a hole my friend is you and you just keep on digging. Furthermore the only person with credibility issues is YOU.... Thus far, whenever your arguments have gone to **** (which has been very frequently, I might add), all you have done is taunt, cite a new irrelevant article or avoided questions put to you as you know they will discredit your ludicrous arguments. Scroll back a couple of pages and you will get my drift...

I'm still waiting on a response as to the last time you launched your vehicle on the street . Or do you plan to go to the track, do half a dozen 0-400m launches and drive home? If so, you can spend a whole lot less than the price of a new TT to achieve 0-60 in 3 sec. I have mates doing this in $2k **** heap Fords with $15k motors (Running: 0-60 in 2.7s and 0-400m in 10.3s and aiming for high 9's)

As for maturity, if you scroll back about 13 pages, you'll find that my responses were very civil- just like those posted by Eclou and TB993tt amogst others. After numerous childish, smart *** responses and taunts from you towards other posters, I've adopted the theory of "when in Rome, do as the Romans". Maybe you need to take a look at yourself first before pointing the finger! (and stop crying foul and using ignoring tactics like a child when things are tough and you're in over your head!)

Last edited by 911rox; 12-19-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:01 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M928
There are alot of guys that have taken their turbo cars to the drags at least here in the US.Check out the times (3pages)their are stock to highly modified.
Most (650 kits) are running the 1/8th and 1/4 mile the same as the new stock turbo.Sending the car out for that kind of work is maybe 20k?
From reading thru alot of post some claim that the 650-750hp kits even on the 996TT and 997TT-1 horsepower or is it torque curve comes in milder because of pressure on the rods and thats why tuners get high horsepower number but the cars don't ET anywhere near what the horsepower figures are.Also clutches on the manual don't hold up with higher horsepower unless you run a good aftermarket clutch, the new PDK will be tested hopefully it doesn't run into problems like the GTR.Nissan pushed it with launch control and looks like Porsche is going to have one that finishes it! As if a car took full advantage thruout the range of 650 to 700hp the 1/4mile numbers would be more like high 9's and not high 10's to low 11's in the 1/4.There are a few that are running that and those cars are making true figures.
The overall new 997TT is now made a good overall car even more so for drag racing.Looks like only cars quicker are the 700+hp kits as the 650hp kits look to run very close to the new turbo with 1/4mile figures.Its not how many horse the car makes it where it makes the horsepower and how well it can deliver it,but like you say have to see how well it holds up before sinking money into going out for a new car.
http://www.dragtimes.com/compare2.ph...ame=Compare%21
Alot know the sledge hammer which really stands out but the rest are about the same or slower than the new car
http://www.dragtimes.com/compare2.ph...ame=Compare%21
I would say the real world is both road racing and drag racing as in any real straight line racing there is only drag racing.
Nice chart on the times for the cars.
With all due respect M928... Performance cars are not just about drag races and 1/4 miles... A straight line drag race is pretty boring unless you are in a 6 sec funny car that can put you over the wall and kill you. All your arguments seem to be based about a 10-12 second race which is also not the purpose of the turbo.

Secondly, the new car is using a seamless shifting pdk box to do these times with total precision... new technology- thats fine... BUT the 997.1 cars that you claim are doing similar times are doing them with manuals which are less precise (dependant on driver) and yet are still achieving these times all beit with upgrade kits to compensate.

A couple points I'd like to highlight that you seem to be missing...

- you are saying 650hp (manual based) kits are achieving the equivalent times... what about the 1000+ hp kits? What are they doing? Like 2.5s 0-60 with a lazy manual gearbox? And furthermore, can the new car be tuned to 1000+ hp? And should they manage that, will the pdk handle 1000hp???

-Secondly you comment about it costing $20k to have this work done.. So what? The car will cost you at least $20k less than a 997.2TT and it is tunable to 1000+hp for future development. It can handle the power and it will achieve times and speeds that the 9A1 variants can't as yet be modified to achieve...

Last edited by 911rox; 12-19-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:08 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
The same day you get your Cayenne, Lewis.
Dec 22, 2012.

Sorry, tried the P!g thing once, didn't work out. Still have mixed feelings, put 2 years of my life into those things.
Sort of sad really, since I was considering a Carrera GT, but after the P!g, I sort of said "never again", at least not while Dr W. was at the company.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:10 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

How's that fatwa you pronounced on me going, Lewis?
Working out pretty good for you?
No idea what you're talking about. Personally (and speaking strictly only as a RL member), I would consider you a troll in the context of this discussion.

I'm just an enthusiast who misses some of the "older things", like dry sumps, wooden floor boards, etc.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

ltc - is it a Cayenne thing? I very rarely see someone poke a super-mod with a sharp stick....

Do I see a name change coming? Trollala has a nice ring to it
Old 12-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
ltc - is it a Cayenne thing? I very rarely see someone poke a super-mod with a sharp stick....

I'm guessing Tiger wasn't doing much of this since he started poking elsewhere. Oops, was that OT?
Old 12-19-2009, 02:27 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911rox
...-Secondly you comment about it costing $20k to have this work done.. So what? The car will cost you at least $20k less than a 997.2TT and it is tunable to 1000+hp for future development. It can handle the power and it will achieve times and speeds that the 9A1 variants can't as yet be modified to achieve...
You're contradicting yourself.

First you say that speed is not important and then, in the same breath, you praise the M64 to be tunable to 1000 hp and for what? To achieve "times and speeds that the 9A1 variants can't as yet be modified to achieve..."

So which is it? Speed is important when it comes to the 997-1 but not the 997-2? Or maybe horsepower is important but speed is not important? Or....

It's because of absurdities like this that you keep falling further and further behind....
Old 12-19-2009, 03:08 PM
inactiveuser1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
With all due respect M928... Performance cars are not just about drag races and 1/4 miles... A straight line drag race is pretty boring unless you are in a 6 sec funny car that can put you over the wall and kill you. All your arguments seem to be based about a 10-12 second race which is also not the purpose of the turbo.

Secondly, the new car is using a seamless shifting pdk box to do these times with total precision... new technology- thats fine... BUT the 997.1 cars that you claim are doing similar times are doing them with manuals which are less precise (dependant on driver) and yet are still achieving these times all beit with upgrade kits to compensate.

A couple points I'd like to highlight that you seem to be missing...

- you are saying 650hp (manual based) kits are achieving the equivalent times... what about the 1000+ hp kits? What are they doing? Like 2.5s 0-60 with a lazy manual gearbox? And furthermore, can the new car be tuned to 1000+ hp? And should they manage that, will the pdk handle 1000hp???

-Secondly you comment about it costing $20k to have this work done.. So what? The car will cost you at least $20k less than a 997.2TT and it is tunable to 1000+hp for future development. It can handle the power and it will achieve times and speeds that the 9A1 variants can't as yet be modified to achieve...
If you have $1000 for fuel cost for about 2 or 3 runs in a top fueler or funny car go for it because thats what its going to cost.

I based it on 10-12 second because that is what most of todays factory performance cars are doing.
If you're claiming ("10-12 seconds which is also not the purpose of the turbo".)
Then what was the purpose of the launch control?
I don't think they had it in mind to go road racing.

Talking of 1000+ kits have you ever priced one?Go back and check prices on 1000+upgrade More like $50,000
http://www.4wheelsnews.com/switzer-p...-sledgehammer/

Ever notice when a update kit of 700hp+ always includes a new clutch because the stock manuals can't take it without an updated clutch but the autos dont need an upgrade,don't count out the PDK yet.Look at the videos too of the really high horse kits they leave way softer with the manuals so they don't break anything or tear the clutches up in no time.The ET's are all over the place in the manual cars also which would make one of the worst drag cars you would be out in 1 round.

Your comparing a used car now with the prices,start with what the 997TT-1 cost new just about $3000 less and dollar for dollar comparing both cars new to new it less to achive faster times with the new car as its going to cost $10k to 20k over what someone paid new for the 997TT-1.

You're right as of the key word is yet,so far the 580hp kit is out and most likey will be faster than some of the modified older generation cars,nothing against the older cars,if the newer car wasn't faster who would want it?but I agree with they should of upgraded the car to 550from the factory and my guess is the reason they didn't they can always keep the buyer coming back for anther 30horse next year or 2 its all apart of business.

Last edited by inactiveuser1; 12-19-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

It's OK, he sort of reminds me of GhettoRacer.
As for the sharp stick...I've had much worse.

Perhaps a fitting user title, like "Wet Sump Whisperer"...need to give it some careful thought.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
It's OK, he sort of reminds me of GhettoRacer.
As for the sharp stick...I've had much worse.

Perhaps a fitting user title, like "Wet Sump Whisperer"...need to give it some careful thought.
He spells way better than GR - similar combative style though.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Come on Boo poke the bears some more. Won't be long til you're dancing:
Old 12-19-2009, 04:46 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

First you say that speed is not important and then, in the same breath, you praise the M64 to be tunable to 1000 hp and for what? To achieve "times and speeds that the 9A1 variants can't as yet be modified to achieve..."

So which is it? Speed is important when it comes to the 997-1 but not the 997-2? Or maybe horsepower is important but speed is not important? Or....

It's because of absurdities like this that you keep falling further and further behind....
Not that you've responded to any of my questions but in short my point was that frankly any car including the 997.1 can do these times (although it ain't the purpose of the car) AND if you chose to go that path (i.e 997.1TT), you'd be no worse off financially as you've started with a lower cost base being secondhand (assuming one was shopping to buy one or the other today).

One has a huge scope for modification to be whatever is required (track or strip), the other is fast out of the box but presumably far less modifiable...

Do you see a contradiction?
Old 12-19-2009, 04:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Coochas
Come on Boo poke the bears some more. Won't be long til you're dancing:
No, we'll just put him into the P&C subforum for a few days...pretty sure that will change things a bit.
Hmmn, memo to self: remember to feed the animals in P&C tonight.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:49 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Not that you've responded to any of my questions but in short my point was that frankly any car including the 997.1 TT can do these times without the assistance of PDK (although it ain't the purpose of the car) AND if you chose to go that path (i.e 997.1TT), you'd be no worse off financially as you've started with a lower cost base being secondhand (assuming one was shopping to buy one or the other today).

One has a huge scope for modification to be whatever is required (track or strip), the other is fast out of the box but presumably far less modifiable...

Do you see a contradiction?

Quick Reply: The Bad News piles up about the new Turbo