Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Bad News piles up about the new Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Ohhh! I stand corrected... Look at what Walter Rohlr is taking to compete at the NBR 24 hr enduro next year according to this mob... a 9A1 powered pdk TT??? Not!!!

http://www.crash.net/world+rally/new...rburgring.html

Case closed for me on new motor vs old... Pay peanuts, get peanuts... Make mine a M64 Metzger thanx!

I wonder if the 9A1 can even idle in the driveway for 24 hours???
Old 12-18-2009, 12:10 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ja. The M64 is indestructible. The Germans say it will last a thousand years.

(Admittedly they have been known to be wrong about these things in the past).
Old 12-18-2009, 01:21 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
As far as reliability is concerned I think that it is a bonus that the new engine achieves these results at lower boost (made possible by a higher compression ratio and higher red line) as well as the 40% decrease in overall engine parts. These changes bode well for the robustness and reliability of the design. Those who argue that the new engine is unproven from the standpoint of upgradability miss the point. The stock car will outperform many modded 997.1 turbos anyway at lower overall cost, so large horsepower improvements, even if they could not be achieved, may not even be necessary.
The new motor achieves higher power with larger displacement, higher mechanical compression ratio and DI. There is lower boost achieved at the manifold because of the pressure drop created by the expansion intake, but the amount of boost created at the turbos is higher than on the previous generation. The end result is that the turbos are stressed more than before and the cylinder pressures are probably about the same as before. DI has had some issues the Cayennes for fouling spark plugs and excessive carbon deposits on the valvetrain.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:32 AM
boolala
Race Car

Yes we know about the drawbacks of DI. In the NA motor there has been tail pipe soot accumulation, excessive oil consumption and (probably unrelated) HPFP failures. These are all known issue with the first iteration of this engine.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:06 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

So Boo, when is your new TT arriving? Maybe you can do the 24hr idle test for us all? I'll gladly send you a cheque for the fuel if you like...
Old 12-18-2009, 04:09 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by brendorenn
what is this, the second grade? LTC, can i used the restroom please?

boo, when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is stop digging. put down the shovel, man.

for my argumentum ad hominem i present that you should send VR a note to get some help on in the avatar category.
Why would you even bother making a vacuous post like that brendorenn? A desperate attempt to get some attention?

In fact why are you even wasting time posting on RL at all when, instead, you could be rioting in the streets of Copenhagen with your fellow anarchists?
Old 12-18-2009, 06:58 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

The only single feature of the the new turbo motor which is "new" is the Dfi. The new engine's "magic" is the combination of Dfi with 3.8litre, higher compression and VTG turbos

Last year Schmirler built Mezger high compression 4.1litre turbo engines with VTG which make 700hp at 1 bar with Euro 5 emissions, the Mezger engine can do all the Dfi's tricks and run Porsche reliability with 200hp more.

We know the new motor needs rods and pistons to survive at even 550hp - just how structurally weak is the architecture of the new casing ?

Did anyone ever find out why Dfi was not adapted to the Mezger ? Can't be done ? Of course it can..... it wasn't done because of money, Porsche wanted to make even more profit out of the already ludicrously profitable 911 turbo.

IMO The turbo should have been moved way upmarket to be with the big Lambos and Ferraris, had a 650PS with 800NM @ 2500rpm Dfi high CR 4.0 litre VTG Mezger with beefed up PDK - it would then represent the true Porsche flagship and its performance would dwarf ALL opposition.....
Old 12-18-2009, 04:37 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911rox
So Boo, when is your new TT arriving? Maybe you can do the 24hr idle test for us all? I'll gladly send you a cheque for the fuel if you like...
I'll take that to be a NO, you won't be writing that cheque then, I suppose... You obviously try to talk the talk but certainly don't walk the walk....
Old 12-18-2009, 07:27 PM
boolala
Race Car

Seriously, one of the reasons you've dug yourself into such a rhetorical hole is because you've tried to make this issue a referendum about me. The sooner you return to debating the facts of the matter, the more credibility you will have. If you like to see how a mature adult approaches this topic take a look at the posts above by eclou and TB993tt and some others, ltc excluded.

Now maybe you could comment on the post made earlier today where the new turbo did 0 - 60 in 3 seconds flat. That's almost a full second faster than the outgoing model.

I know that something like this is painful for you to acknowledge and that it is much easier for you divert people's attention by focusing on me personally.

You can keep it up, if you wish, but (as before) it will get you absolutely nowhere.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
If you like to see how a mature adult approaches this topic take a look at the posts above by eclou and TB993tt and some others, ltc excluded.
That wasn't very nice now was it?

BTW, if this new version of the Turbo IS in fact the single greatest achievement in the long history of the "911 Turbo" and clearly superior in every facet to any '911 Turbo' that has come before it, exactly when are you going to get yours?
Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

BTW, if this new version of the Turbo IS in fact the single greatest achievement in the long history of the "911 Turbo" and clearly superior in every facet to any '911 Turbo' that has come before it, exactly when are you going to get yours?

The same day you get your Cayenne, Lewis.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:55 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by ltc

How's that fatwa you pronounced on me going, Lewis?

Working out pretty good for you?
Old 12-19-2009, 02:14 AM
inactiveuser1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex (UK)
I'd say 0 to anything is totally irrelevant in the real world. You never ever do full-bore launches on public roads. At least I haven't in 5 years of various 997 ownership. This is why I always use 100-200kph as the best real world indication of how fast a car is, at least in a straight line.

There are alot of guys that have taken their turbo cars to the drags at least here in the US.Check out the times (3pages)their are stock to highly modified.
Most (650 kits) are running the 1/8th and 1/4 mile the same as the new stock turbo.Sending the car out for that kind of work is maybe 20k?
From reading thru alot of post some claim that the 650-750hp kits even on the 996TT and 997TT-1 horsepower or is it torque curve comes in milder because of pressure on the rods and thats why tuners get high horsepower number but the cars don't ET anywhere near what the horsepower figures are.Also clutches on the manual don't hold up with higher horsepower unless you run a good aftermarket clutch, the new PDK will be tested hopefully it doesn't run into problems like the GTR.Nissan pushed it with launch control and looks like Porsche is going to have one that finishes it! As if a car took full advantage thruout the range of 650 to 700hp the 1/4mile numbers would be more like high 9's and not high 10's to low 11's in the 1/4.There are a few that are running that and those cars are making true figures.
The overall new 997TT is now made a good overall car even more so for drag racing.Looks like only cars quicker are the 700+hp kits as the 650hp kits look to run very close to the new turbo with 1/4mile figures.Its not how many horse the car makes it where it makes the horsepower and how well it can deliver it,but like you say have to see how well it holds up before sinking money into going out for a new car.
http://www.dragtimes.com/compare2.ph...ame=Compare%21
Alot know the sledge hammer which really stands out but the rest are about the same or slower than the new car
http://www.dragtimes.com/compare2.ph...ame=Compare%21
I would say the real world is both road racing and drag racing as in any real straight line racing there is only drag racing.
Nice chart on the times for the cars.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:31 AM
boolala
Race Car

Looks like that, no matter what the maximum horsepower output of these modded 997.1s are, they generally do not perform at the level as the STOCK 997.2 turbo.

And performance is the bottom line.

Your only hope at this point is to wish that these stock engines grenade so you can post some dramatic pics of dissasembled engines and say "I told you so."

Very strange that Porche puts out a whole new car and die hard self styled Porsche "enthusiasts" are praying for it to fail.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:18 AM
inactiveuser1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like modified 997TT-2 are starting now and the cars will be getting faster.
10 second 1/4 miles and sub 3second 0-60's would like to see how this setup runs.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...7-2-turbo.html

Quick Reply: The Bad News piles up about the new Turbo