The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 07:21 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 119 Posts

.2s are night and day better than .1s

.2 RS is night and day “cooler” than .2 GT3

none of which are priced near what I would pay to own them for again - more than 200k for a .2 RS doesn’t make sense to me personally

had or drove them all

only one I miss at all is .2 RS - and at 250-300k to get one again I don’t miss it that much
The following 7 users liked this post by audipwr1:
964C4 (01-11-2023), cavlino (01-20-2023), D1ESEL (01-13-2023), fayraree (01-11-2023), rrichmondd (01-11-2023), Steve Theodore (01-12-2023), SupraSaiyan (01-10-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-10-2023, 10:32 PM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by fayraree
It’s going to sound silly but I like the look and the cache that comes with the RS. I like the 2-color scheme and stickers. I prefer the wing and wide body. I like how all the options I’d want for my GT3 would be standard with an RS, like the LWFW, intake, dynamic engine mounts, etc. I really wanted FAL, full leather and dynamic cornering lights in a GT3 but mine doesn’t have them, so this is a chance for me to try and find that in the RS (I’ve found most RS to be higher spec’d, so probably better chance of finding them all).

$80k to get the Sharkwerks 4.1 treatment so there’s that to consider, too. Probably best for a high mileage GT3. But it still won’t look like an RS!

@Wonderdan what were your reasons for upgrading to the RS?
Definitely not silly. Although not immensely more rare than a GT3, the RS feels more special in every way- from driving experience to physical presence, both of which may be a placebo effect.

Spec matters a lot, my .1 GT3 was very slim on options and my .2 RS is very plentiful on options so it feels like the price delta was worth that alone. Leather dash, carbon buckets/trim/accents, colored belts, premium audio and etc really make this car feel worth the price whereas my stripper spec car felt very cheap for such an expensive car.

On the other hand, I drove my GT3 near daily. It was black and blended in with the masses. My RS gets driven a lot and tracked but it attracts much more attention and i am much more careful and aware with it. I often think about going back to a GT3 simply to care marginally less about usage. But i constantly have unsolicited buyer inquires and, despite my habit of turning through cars quick, i have turned them all down without a second thought. Regardless you can't go wrong just depends on what you want.

Last edited by vma1788; 01-10-2023 at 10:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fayraree (01-11-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 10:57 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by vma1788
Definitely not silly. Although not immensely more rare than a GT3, the RS feels more special in every way- from driving experience to physical presence, both of which may be a placebo effect.

Spec matters a lot, my .1 GT3 was very slim on options and my .2 RS is very plentiful on options so it feels like the price delta was worth that alone. Leather dash, carbon buckets/trim/accents, colored belts, premium audio and etc really make this car feel worth the price whereas my stripper spec car felt very cheap for such an expensive car.

On the other hand, I drove my GT3 near daily. It was black and blended in with the masses. My RS gets driven a lot and tracked but it attracts much more attention and i am much more careful and aware with it. I often think about going back to a GT3 simply to care marginally less about usage. But i constantly have unsolicited buyer inquires and, despite my habit of turning through cars quick, i have turned them all down without a second thought. Regardless you can't go wrong just depends on what you want.
I made a long term commitment to the one that would rather go to the track than a dinner date… the loud one with tattoos that will slap me around a little.

Last edited by Wonderdan; 01-13-2023 at 02:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wonderdan:
fayraree (01-11-2023), Steve Theodore (01-12-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 11:14 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

On a more serious note, I don’t know if the RS is worth it for someone only interested in the aesthetics (car shows get old imo) driving/fixing is as much a hobby away from my day job than anything else… which having sustained my attention for this long is easily worth the price of admission.

I will also say that these 997s prices are holding very steady vs the gated v10 R8s etc that they used to be compared to

Last edited by Wonderdan; 01-13-2023 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:46 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 211 Posts

So I’ve had my 7.2 GT3 for 8 months now and had the best driving summer in memory. Put 4k miles on her, sitting at 43k now.

I can’t help but scratch that itch and am looking into upgrading to an RS. I’m probably going to do the same thing I did at switchcars and trade in my GT3 and pick up the RS at the same shop, to try and seek any discounts by giving the dealer an opportunity to double dip.

$50k differential is still non-existent; I think a $100k difference is the fair market difference for my higher mileage car. Looking for higher mileage RS, too (30k+) so maybe it makes it easier. Appealing to the RL gods to help satiate me without breaking the bank! Logic tells me I’m not getting $100k more car for my money, but anything below that and I’d probably be game.
In 2011, RS made sense because the wider track, shorter gears and higher horsepower made it top dog at the track. Nowadays, 997.2RS ain't top dog of anything. The standard GT3 can easily be adapted to 90% of the RS and look a lot better doing it. Looks are debatable, but standard GT3 is much more integrated looking and it by default looks lower to the ground since the side skirts are painted body color versus black plastic on the RS. Standard GT3 has cheaper tires that are easier to shake loose on the street and properly setup, it's going to be more agile for the narrower front end. Let's not forget that the cup cars of this era were narrow body.

I get the aura of the RS and the belief that an RS is an RS. I made the swap and don't regret it, but if I was to do it again knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't bother, especially at this cost delta. Funny how GT3 owners think the RS looks better. To my eyes the GT3 is much easier to look at without the scaffolding on the rear.
The following 2 users liked this post by ranger22:
fayraree (01-11-2023), GlenGT3 (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 12:29 AM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

You guys all pretty much nailed my current mindset. The “aura” of RS is real. My desire is definitely not fueled by performance since I still don’t even know how to use a GT3 properly, still learning the shift points and handling characteristics.

I always worry that the longer I wait the worse the delta will get as I continue to add miles to mine. At 50k mileage I think value will take a deeper dive than low 40s so part of me wants to pull the trigger while I have the most value.

I called up Ferrari LA for their RS with 30k miles and they were offering wholesale price on my GT3 so a $130k delta, smdh.

I should probably just enjoy what I have and let the mod bug bite me, and do the viola metallic wrap, performance mods, replace the PCCB rotors (OEM spec but previous owner swapped with steel), etc.

Last edited by fayraree; 01-11-2023 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:43 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

You guys all pretty much nailed my current mindset. The “aura” of RS is real. My desire is definitely not fueled by performance since I still don’t even know how to use a GT3 properly, still learning the shift points and handling characteristics.

I always worry that the longer I wait the worse the delta will get as I continue to add miles to mine. At 50k mileage I think value will take a deeper dive than low 40s so part of me wants to pull the trigger while I have the most value.

I called up Ferrari LA for their RS with 30k miles and they were offering wholesale price on my GT3 so a $130k delta, smdh.

I should probably just enjoy what I have and let the mod bug bite me, and do the viola metallic wrap, performance mods, replace the PCCB rotors (OEM spec but previous owner swapped with steel), etc.
i havnt done any spreadsheet guesswork lately, is the delta between them growing? Collectors parking low mileage RS?

Last edited by Wonderdan; 01-11-2023 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:47 AM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
i havnt done any spreadsheet guesswork lately, is the delta between them growing?
no I think a higher mileage GT3 and RS delta is around $100k. I’m trying to compare a 43k mile GT3 with a 30k mile RS so that might hurt me a few $10k, plus lower spec of my GT3.

lower mileage deltas are much more, at least the asking price; who knows what they actually sell for (non-auction).
Old 01-11-2023, 01:36 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,983 Likes on 1,767 Posts

If you really want to make the move then list your car for sale and wait it out for top dollar. Then after it's sold go on the hunt for another one. I know it's scary but it's the best way to do it, plus your timing just might be perfect.
Old 01-11-2023, 01:55 AM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
If you really want to make the move then list your car for sale and wait it out for top dollar. Then after it's sold go on the hunt for another one. I know it's scary but it's the best way to do it, plus your timing just might be perfect.
this is definitely the best way to minimize delta but this also causes an undefined period of no GT which is worse than saving a few dollars lol (for me). I guess that means I don’t really want to make the move yet, lol.
Old 01-11-2023, 11:53 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

no I think a higher mileage GT3 and RS delta is around $100k. I’m trying to compare a 43k mile GT3 with a 30k mile RS so that might hurt me a few $10k, plus lower spec of my GT3.

lower mileage deltas are much more, at least the asking price; who knows what they actually sell for (non-auction).
like 2 years ago one of the interns did a site scraper on the non-RS that tracked resell delta to generally $1 a mile, then it flattened out at like 20-25k miles and there wasn’t enough data for 40k< examples. I think not having the PCCB might ding you a bit, but most would assume they were toast anyway at that mileage.

The primary reason I decided to change cars was that my GT3 was a low mileage, fully optioned and in mint condition. The cost of brakes, lines, LWFW, guards etc was another $20k + $10k for seats… only to potentially lose overall value in resell by being molested.

I also agree that no car sucks so I had both cars at the same time for a time, but it was only a few weeks as Pcarmarket will pick your listing up as soon as you want. Now if you want to use BAT you have to plan 4 weeks in advance, if there are no other “competing” cars in front of you they will move quicker.

Last edited by Wonderdan; 01-11-2023 at 04:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fayraree (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 01:33 PM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
like 2 years ago one of the interns did a site scraper on the non-RS that tracked resell delta to generally $1 a mile, then it flattened out at like 20-25k miles and there wasn’t enough data for 40k< examples. I think not having the PCCB might ding you a bit, but most would assume they were toast anyway at that mileage.

The primary reason I decided to change cars was that my GT3 was a low mileage, fully optioned and in mint condition. The cost of brakes, lines, LWFW, guards etc was another $20k + $10k for seats… only to potentially lose overall value in resell by being molested. I also agree that no car sucks so I had both cars at the same time for a time.

So I decided to put that $30k into a loved RS and make it my own… of which I stopped counting a while ago

I also agree that no car sucks so I had both cars at the same time for a time, but it was only a few weeks as Pcarmarket will pick your listing up as soon as you want. Now if you want to use BAT you have to plan 4 weeks in advance, if there are no other “competing” cars in front of you they will move quicker.
thanks Dan, very thoughtful and insightful. My mistake is I’m expecting a similar upgrade experience to yours but with a far higher mileage and lower spec GT3 which makes no sense. Also, you sold via auction and can’t recall if you also bought your RS via auction or privately.

I bought my GTS via PCAR but am nervous about selling via auction. Perhaps I should test the waters early spring.
Old 01-11-2023, 04:28 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

thanks Dan, very thoughtful and insightful. My mistake is I’m expecting a similar upgrade experience to yours but with a far higher mileage and lower spec GT3 which makes no sense. Also, you sold via auction and can’t recall if you also bought your RS via auction or privately.

I bought my GTS via PCAR but am nervous about selling via auction. Perhaps I should test the waters early spring.
If I had a lower spec GT3 w/more mileage I would have kept it and upgraded, imo it will only "increase" its value once you refresh and touch everything. As others have said the lower value carries less anxiety...having an RS nearly doubles the opex of track days with the insurance premium delta.

Its easy to think "ohh instead of upgrading this I'll use the $25k toward an RS", but after fees and taxes and shipping and then working through whatever demons your new RS has hiding (mine was the transmission) at the end of the day the only thing worth a damnn is your time not in the seat.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wonderdan:
fayraree (01-11-2023), point2point (01-11-2023), Robocop305 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 06:07 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts

Get what you really want and can really afford. The rest is just BSing and there is nothing wrong with that.

in other words go with your heart.

YMMV
The following 5 users liked this post by tasman:
Elliotw44 (01-11-2023), fayraree (01-11-2023), heymikey (01-11-2023), jj99c2 (01-13-2023), jonwb (01-12-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 11:25 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

I'm just happy my mind is not going through those mental gymnastics ^^^. I LOVE the non-RS and have zero desire to switch (I don't call it an "upgrade", because for me it would not be). And I bought a high spec low mileage example (now doubled since first purchase),... but I don't care about putting miles on it either. I'm going down the same path as my 964T which I'm up to 80k miles, still going, and the value (abeit over 20 yrs) has just gone up anyway. I predict that will be the case of these 997 GT3's too,... so I'm not sweating any of that. The adventures out on the road are soooo worth it.
The following 7 users liked this post by bweSteve:
Elliotw44 (01-12-2023), eXpensiveGears (01-13-2023), fayraree (01-12-2023), ljmartyre (01-12-2023), point2point (01-12-2023), RAudi Driver (01-13-2023), rrichmondd (01-12-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...