Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 01:57 PM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
What is the right price? I'm a non buyer as I don't want a red car but if you're looking for top dollar it may be tough this time of year.
I know I’m going to take a hit on the GT3, but I want to minimize the size of the hit. Like I mentioned, if anyone is interested feel free to PM and we can talk.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:54 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
I had to walk away from potential inquiries because they didn't want to deal and were firm on their price. I know something has got to give so I'm willing to wait.

Have you inquired about the one at Merit Partners? This one has everyone thing that you're looking for.

http://www.meritpartners.com/feature...orsche-gt3-rs/
Thanks for the heads up and yea I've seen that. It has everything I want but a price tag that's a bit steep. I'll be taking mine to the track so I don't want to pay a huge premium for a low mile garage queen. I may just go with a regular GT3 for that reason as I don't know if I really need the extra performance of a RS. I'm in wait and see mode, we'll see what pops up around the first of the year.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:16 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Not sure if this has already been posted but it may go for a great 'driver' price considering it's miles and incident history

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...che-911-gt3-2/
Old 10-14-2017, 10:38 AM
Nemesis07r
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
Not sure if this has already been posted but it may go for a great 'driver' price considering it's miles and incident history

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...che-911-gt3-2/
Doug from switchcars already stated this car has structural damage from a 3rd accident that isn't mentioned. Said he wouldn't touch it. Not stopping anyone that is genuinely interested, but just an fyi.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:52 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemesis07r
Doug from switchcars already stated this car has structural damage from a 3rd accident that isn't mentioned. Said he wouldn't touch it. Not stopping anyone that is genuinely interested, but just an fyi.
I should've searched by VIN and not ad URL to see if it had already been discussed. Doh!

I'm not in the market or have anything to do with it. Just saw it and thought I'd make sure this community was aware of it.

Makes me wonder how reliable the descriptions on bringatrailer.com are. I wonder how many of those cars have untold stories or marginal descriptions.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:06 AM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
I should've searched by VIN and not ad URL to see if it had already been discussed. Doh!

I'm not in the market or have anything to do with it. Just saw it and thought I'd make sure this community was aware of it.

Makes me wonder how reliable the descriptions on bringatrailer.com are. I wonder how many of those cars have untold stories or marginal descriptions.
It's not limited to one site. Many more cars than we realize have hidden or untold stories. Lots of cars with track damage, fixed without insurance, and the invoice 'lost' by the owner. PPIs are very important. I passed on three of the last four GT3/RSs which I went to personally inspect.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

buy the seller not the car.
if i dont trust the seller, i will not buy the car regardless of price.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:51 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
buy the seller not the car.
if i dont trust the seller, i will not buy the car regardless of price.
Meh. I bought a car from a long-term owner on Rennlist, 20K+ posts, blah-blah. Represented it like a shining example of a well-maintained higher mileage car. Turned out to be a complete POS and took a ton of work to get it right. To this day I still find "easter eggs" of stupid **** the PO did to it.

Even my current GT3RS... When I first started talking to the seller in Sept '15 he said it was in great shape and ready to go. By the time I picked it up in April '16 he had spent over $14K on mechanical repairs. By then it was indeed in great shape...

Bottom line is you need a PPI, but a very thorough one. I've been burned by a PPI too... Porsche of Roslyn didn't discover a slipping clutch and worn brakes on a car I bought a few years back. That was $4K in repairs. And all the dealer did was refund the PPI fee. Find a good indie and have a Callas-Rennsport type PPI done. Or you're just rolling the dice.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:56 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Meh. I bought a car from a long-term owner on Rennlist, 20K+ posts, blah-blah. Represented it like a shining example of a well-maintained higher mileage car. Turned out to be a complete POS and took a ton of work to get it right. To this day I still find "easter eggs" of stupid **** the PO did to it.

Even my current GT3RS... When I first started talking to the seller in Sept '15 he said it was in great shape and ready to go. By the time I picked it up in April '16 he had spent over $14K on mechanical repairs. By then it was indeed in great shape...

Bottom line is you need a PPI, but a very thorough one. I've been burned by a PPI too... Porsche of Roslyn didn't discover a slipping clutch and worn brakes on a car I bought a few years back. That was $4K in repairs. And all the dealer did was refund the PPI fee. Find a good indie and have a Callas-Rennsport type PPI done. Or you're just rolling the dice.
^This.

Sellers continually call their cars perfect or no stories! I added 8K to mine to make it perfect. And as Ilko stated, there are so many grades of PPI's it's hilarious. Buyer beware...
Old 10-15-2017, 04:02 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
^This.

Sellers continually call their cars perfect or no stories! I added 8K to mine to make it perfect. And as Ilko stated, there are so many grades of PPI's it's hilarious. Buyer beware...
To be fair these cars do require care and feeding. Mine was nearly perfect when I bought it, but I still drop 3-4k a year in maint into it.

Just finished up fresh wheel bearings and centerlock bolts
Old 10-16-2017, 02:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko

PPI are never thorough imo.
when i say buy the seller, i need to KNOW the seller not just b/c he has 20k posts. some ppl's idea of 'clean' is other ppl's 'garbage'. that said i am a bit obsessed. most used cars as soon as they hit my garage, it's $30k thrown at it. THAT'S CARS WITH LEAKS OR MAJOR ISSUES.

buying used is always tricky. i prefer new. bur for air cooled cars, i can't find them with MSO today. so i have to take a chance.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:28 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
PPI are never thorough imo.
when i say buy the seller, i need to KNOW the seller not just b/c he has 20k posts.
THIS. Important clarification.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:01 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Not bad for 70K. If legit, this should sell quickly.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911
Old 10-16-2017, 02:06 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Not bad for 70K. If legit, this should sell quickly.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911
Has to be a story....
Old 10-16-2017, 02:13 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Has to be a story....
Dealership pics and private seller without any pertinent info listed. Fake listing I would bet

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...