Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,171 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Hasn't been that way lately. Maybe I can find some time in the near future. Was supposed to head out to the SGVBC run up to Newcombs this am, but it would be a late start and I'm not into driving up and seeing everyone drive down.
You guys check my math but with the price inflation stalling out I think now it PAYS to drive the car if your past the 7-10k mile mark.

Assume, $.3/mile for gas, 1 dollar per mile for resell depreciation, $2500 in insurance and the price of not having $250k in a high yield savings at a cost of $12,000/year...

2000 Miles a year - $8.55/mile
10000 Miles a year - $2.70/mile

even if we up the resell depreciation to $2/mile it works out.

Last edited by Wonderdan; 08-23-2024 at 02:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (08-24-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 03:37 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 488 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by landila
So i did end up getting to do a test drive and felt a little bit more hooked than I wanted to. Didn't end up buying the car because we couldn't agree on a value, and I do love my GT3T. However I will keep looking it will have to be a good deal for me to trade down to a 14 year old car with no warranty while mine still has it for another five years.
Were you by yourself, was it a decent road? Takes a little time to get it down IMO. Were you able to do back to back that is my favorite way to test a car.

I had a deposit on M2cs and was able to take my 1M down to the dealer and hop in and out of both, it was shocking how much that altered my view of the two cars.

Conversely, test drove an M3 months ago and was with a salesman talking the entire time....could not wait for it to be over.

Good luck -- if you know you know, I was very fortunate to drive my car and a 991GT3 back to back right after my purchase and it was great validation for me, but everyone has different opinions and likes different aspects of driving, if it did not wow you, then maybe the aspects that others love are not worth it for you.

Old 08-23-2024, 03:42 PM
3_PDLS
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by seis-speed

I had a deposit on M2cs and was able to take my 1M down to the dealer and hop in and out of both, it was shocking how much that altered my view of the two cars.
Not to hijack the thread. But what are your thoughts on these two? I'm considering both right now. But never driven them.
Old 08-23-2024, 04:41 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Originally Posted by 3_PDLS
Not to hijack the thread. But what are your thoughts on these two? I'm considering both right now. But never driven them.
Just my $.02, with these types of cars there are lots of YMMV --

I wanted to love The CS, was number 1 on a list at my dealer for over 18 months, was excited to get a brand new car, while waiting I went and saw it at The LA Auto Show. The reviews were spectacular, 'might be the best Mcar of all time'.... but, back to back... I enthusiastically preferred my 1M by a wide margin. It felt so much more raw than the CS. It is very similar to 997 vs 991 (both are great, but different).

1M was smaller, hard to explain how short a 1M truly is, 1M is shorter than an E30 it makes an E46 feel long, 1M has a quick ratio hydraulic steering rack, it is at least 250lbs lighter, the chassis feels raw and wild, power is spiky and has lag, when it comes on you are bracing for the rear to kick out, it is a hooligan, also less duality...there are no modes, comfort, sport, sport plus, rev-matching, etc. none of that exists ...it just is what it is....1M is very simple and basic.

CS engine (S55) crushes 1M engine for overall power and is very robust, but in every other aspect 1M was more to my liking and the lower powered N54 is a big factor in why the car is so much lighter and has a 50/50 weight distribution which is very noticeable when tossing the car into a corner. It wants to be tossed around, it feels lively and on it's toes.

In isolation, might have missed some of these aspects with the excitement of a new car.

I did liked The CS seats much more, 1M seats are awful, so I ended up keeping my 1M and bought some custom seats.

If you do buy a 1M, I do not think stock is the way to go, plan on getting an exhaust with a mid-section, that car is a monster with an exhaust, not sure if it is the short length, but it changes the car substantially....and possibly seats depending on what you prefer.

FWIW I know many 1M owners and have talked with others that own both cars (not sold one to buy another) and they agree with my statements, they like both, but all agree 1M is more fun/raw/experiential.

If they took a long road-trip they would take the CS...It is newer ,has more modes, can be set to comfort, etc...if just wanting to tackle a fun road The 1M would be the choice.

Last edited by seis-speed; 08-24-2024 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2024, 05:09 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 516 Posts

Just my $.02, with these types of cars there are lots of YMMV --

I wanted to love The CS was number 1 on a list for MSRP was excited to get a brand new car at the time, went and saw it at The LA Auto Show while I waited for the car to arrive and the reviews were that it might be the best Mcar of all time, but I preferred my 1M by a lot, it is very similar to 997 vs 991 (both are great, but different).
1M was smaller, 1M is shorter than an E30, has hyraulic steering, 250lbs lighter, felt much more raw, the chassis just feels so raw and wild, but does not have the power of the CS, also less duality there are no modes, comfort, sport, sport plus, rev-matching, etc...it just is what it is....very simple and basic.
CS engine crushes 1M engine for overall power and S55 is very robust, but in every ohter aspect 1M was more to my liking and the lower powered N54 is a big factor in why the car is so much lighter and has a 50/50 weight distribution and feels so much more tossable on a backroad.

In isolation, might have missed many of these aspects with the excitement of a new car.

I liked The CS seats much more, 1M seats are awful, so I ended up keeping 1M and bought some custom seats.

If you do buy a 1M, I do not think stock is the way to go, plan on getting an exhuast that car is a monster with an exhuast not sure if it is the short lenght but it changes the car substantially....and possibly seats depending on what you like.

FWIW I know many owners that own both (not sold one to buy another) and they agree with my statements, they like both, but all agree 1M is more fun/raw/experiential.

If they took a long road-trip they would take the CS...newer,has more modes, etc.... so it truly is just like the 997 vs 991 debate in many ways.
1M still on my list, and debated heavily on it when buying my Cayman R a few months ago. I always thought that car was probably the missing link for me between the E36 and the M2C. As good as the F87 was, it just never felt raw enough for me, and in stock form was way too soft to be a Cayman contender on track.

I think the 1M with mods could bridge that gap, but I don't think it would really hold a candle to the Cayman R on track in stock form, and that was the main thing I wanted from the Cayman R.
The following 2 users liked this post by jreifler:
rotaz (08-23-2024), seis-speed (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 05:58 PM
rotaz
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
1M still on my list, and debated heavily on it when buying my Cayman R a few months ago. I always thought that car was probably the missing link for me between the E36 and the M2C. As good as the F87 was, it just never felt raw enough for me, and in stock form was way too soft to be a Cayman contender on track.

I think the 1M with mods could bridge that gap, but I don't think it would really hold a candle to the Cayman R on track in stock form, and that was the main thing I wanted from the Cayman R.
would like to hear your experience on your CR vs 997gt3.
Old 08-23-2024, 06:38 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,468 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
Anyone else notice its been pretty dry for 997.1 3RS cars for sale? Especially pumpkins. Seems like its the same silver/white cars that keep popping up.
Depends on the timing. Last year there were more pumpkins for sale then white or silver combined. This year it’s been the other way round. Smaller proportion of pumpkin’s produced come up for sale then white or silver cars. 186 pumpkins made for North America vs 102 white and silver cars.
Red9114me (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 06:59 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Originally Posted by jreifler

Holy cow my last post was a long hijack Sorry for the OT word-salad.

Cayman R seems like a perfect track car - superior to most cars out of the box!!

Back to GT3 for sale….
jreifler (08-23-2024)
Old 08-23-2024, 08:32 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by landila
So i did end up getting to do a test drive and felt a little bit more hooked than I wanted to. Didn't end up buying the car because we couldn't agree on a value, and I do love my GT3T. However I will keep looking it will have to be a good deal for me to trade down to a 14 year old car with no warranty while mine still has it for another five years.
Was that the Austin car at $200k? Did they budge on the price at all?
Old 08-23-2024, 11:53 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by rotaz
would like to hear your experience on your CR vs 997gt3.
Man, that’s a long one. Apologies in advance.

I very reluctantly sold my insanely good RS America to move to the CR, because between the RSA and 3RS, I had 2 cars both a little too nice / finicky / expensive to wring out on track and enjoy around town. The 3RS w/ full 4.0 drivetrain is an event. You don’t wanna drive it casually around town. You want it for 2+ hour backroad / mountain / canyon driving (or track, if you track it). It requires all your attention and involvement to really enjoy and appreciate.

The RSA - even with completely rebuilt HVAC - is just not enjoyable here in the Deep South in either summer or winter. It’s also a lot of work to drive with no power steering, etc. So similarly a car that I think is best as a 3rd / 4th - drive when the weather is perfect, and you have no other reason to drive aside from pure enjoyment.

The CR is kindred to both RSA and 997GT, but so much more usable and versatile. It has a lot of 997 familiarity. The interior with carbon buckets feels so much like the 997GT interior (more like .2 than .1, but close to both). The inputs and handling are very similar to 997GT. But where the 7GT is always rowdy and demanding, the CR can be casually enjoyed. I have an aggressive alignment with 200TW tires, and it’s still perfectly civil around town. Clutch is soft compared to 7GT, and even with Numeric shifter, it’s still buttery and easy by comparison. Catless SOUL headers with stock rear PSE, and it’s super tame until you dig in past 4k, and then it’s reminiscent of a sport bike. On track, it’s a perfectly balanced scalpel. Needs camber plates / control arms / toe links, but nothing else. Minimal investment and it’s a bonkers good and capable track car. I’m thrilled with it as a complement to the 7RS.

Holy cow my last post was a long hijack Sorry for the OT word-salad.

Cayman R seems like a perfect track car - superior to most cars out of the box!!

Back to GT3 for sale….
No need to apologize. That was a relevant “what cars are like our 997GT experience?” post. This thread meanders a bit but always comes back.
The following 3 users liked this post by jreifler:
flsupraguy (08-24-2024), rotaz (08-24-2024), seis-speed (08-24-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 12:37 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,977 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Any cars for sale? For a minute I thought I was down a thread in the review thread.
The following 2 users liked this post by RAudi Driver:
seis-speed (08-24-2024), Steve_D (08-28-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 12:59 AM
seis-speed
Pro

Any cars for sale? For a minute I thought I was down a thread in the review thread.
Help point me to some decent bucket seats, willing to go heavy aftermarket, not even close to OEM, Sparco/Recaro....whatever and I will never post my 1M vs M2 comparison again....even when prompted!!

deal....?

Old 08-24-2024, 10:10 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 538 Likes on 352 Posts

Old 08-24-2024, 10:34 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,171 Likes on 625 Posts

Not sure it’s new but Autotrader hit me with this RS this AM

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...showEmailModal
Old 08-24-2024, 10:35 AM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 207 Posts

it looks like we’re down to one (1) publicly advertised 997.2 gt3 for sale currently - the Austin car at $200K. Kind of crazy.

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...