Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 12:28 PM
Henry Chung
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Yes, you need the brake lines because the 380mm front brakes put the calipers more outward from center so a longer brake line is needed to reach. Alternatively you can use one-piece motorsport style stainless steel braided banjo hose kit such as the brake hose kit shown below.

This one-piece hose design replaces the two separate OEM hoses. I have been using the one-piece hose on my car and have been very happy with it.

At first, I did the 380 front conversion only for the novelty of having 997 Cup car size brakes. After using the 380 front brakes on track I have wrote in this thread that it stopping modulation is improved, that is on track during 130mph+ braking zones. However, I changed to stiffer spring on the DSC Sport Tractive suspension around the same time so thinking about now as a whole picture, the modulation improvement was made possible by having a stiffer suspension to handle the braking load. Had I not changed to stiffer springs at that time the results may not have been the same. Regardless, I wanted 380 front brakes for the novelty and the looks, that was my original motive. The modulation improvement(from using the same set of pads) was a bonus.

As for lowest pricing, I respectfully prefer not to get into this topic, its really a matter of online searching and the right timing. No one wants to overpay for things, but personally, I prefer to buy car parts from businesses that contribute/support to this tight niche community.
Thank you so much and will order either the geniue brake line parts or from TPC.

My intention is same as yours, want to improve the looks of filling up the wheels rather than brake power.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:43 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 525 Posts
Default One Last Mod, or Two

Okay, its unusual, but I am doing another mod on a car that I am selling. This mod doesn't make more horsepower nor more grip. Instead, it adds appeal to prospective buyers reside in states that require 3-point seat belts for highway safety inspection. It took me some time to brainstorm up the following approach because I don't want to give up any aspect in track safety. And I want the 3-point belts to be completely removable in minutes should the next owner wants to have this feature. Here's my quick-release 3-point belt mod. Sharing this approach as an alternative to the more common approach of sandwiching the 3-point lower anchor to the eye bolt.

Good thing I kept the original Deviating Red 3-point belts that came with the car. Now its time to put them back to use.

Using some miscellaneous racing seat belt hardware I made custom quick-release snap hooks for the lower anchor of the 3-point belts.

The thickness of the custom hardware is equal to the thickness of the OEM anchor plate. The OEM-color 10.9 grade bolt well exceeds the required strength.

The 3-point belt now shares the same eye-bolt as the racing harness lap belt. They both float nicely without interference.

The buckle is bolted to the seat through the 6mm thick side plate.

It clicks and locks perfectly. And I left the plug in there for the next owner should he/she wants to use it.

Here it is. Both sets of belts coexist without interference. The 3-point belt can be completely removed in literally one minute. As you may be able to tell, I miss doing mods on this car...

The last time I drove this car with 3-point seat belts was in 2015. For some reason I feel giddy driving it around today after reinstalling these belts, giddy like when I was a kid trying a new flavor of breakfast cereal!

Did the same for the passenger side.

Next (and last) mod is OEM steering wheel with airbag. I made the mistake of selling the original one. Now I need to find a nice one to put on, thinking about a 991 version. Once I get a steering wheel and airbag it'll be a 3-minute swap to make this a "street legal" car. Someone needs to buy this car! So awesome to drive on street...and track!

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 11-25-2020 at 11:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
monk46 (11-24-2020), RAudi Driver (11-26-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 04:26 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

better use that sub belt before you lose your tarts
Old 11-24-2020, 08:04 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Hey Tom,

I don't know if you had disconnected the airbag computer or not, but if you did, better check it before plugging in any air bags!

Ray
The following users liked this post:
Tom@TPC Racing (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 09:11 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ngng
better use that sub belt before you lose your tarts
Yep. The PFC brakes work so strong even my eye glasses fly forward.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:33 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I promise, this is the last mod, or more appropriately this is an un-mod.

Swapping out the MOMO Mod30 steering wheel for OEM 997.2 RS steering wheel with airbag to be "street legal". I must say it took me a little bit of gazing at the OEM RS wheel to come to peace with this look. I gazed at it longer than the installation time, which was 3 minutes, LOL. Then I took the car out for a short drive and felt that the larger diameter OEM RS steering wheel makes for a more relaxing driving experience because the steering effort is significant lighter and making small movements doesn't do anything, The bigger OEM steering wheel makes the drive feel like a luxury car in cruising mode, whereas the smaller MOMO wheel feels like I am in attack mode because the steering responsive is hyper precise, sensitive, and the heavier steering effort increases road feel. The MOMO Mod30 wheel is the same size as a 991 Cup wheel, and feels exactly like it too!

Passenger airbag restored. #streetlegal

And a final service for the next to be owner. Motor oil and filter change, brake fluid flush, and belt.
Even though oil in the engine came out super clean(had 2 track days and 531 miles on it), I wanted to do it to be thorough and to present this car the best possible.

During the brake fluid flush I took notice and was amazed there's still so much brake pad remaining after 6 track days on them! PFC Brakes rock!!!

Lastly, the belt. For those reading this, consider this a PSA - The belt stretches and loses tension with use. My way of determining belt stretch is by measuring the distance between the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley. The distance on a 997 GT3 is approximately 34mm with a new belt. The old belt that was put on at the completion of the 4.0L engine build had 16 track days on it (total miles on this belt was 3,713 between street, track, and dyno) was stretched to a measurement of 45mm. The belt stretch is normal from usage on any car. I'd rather put a new belt on sooner rather than lose a belt on track or be stranded on street. A stock 997 GT3 engine takes a 2260mm belt. My engine takes a shorter 1685mm belt because of Cup car electric power steering pump conversion and Cup car underdrive crank pulley.

Always feels good to take a freshly serviced car out for a quick spin. The OEM steering wheel made curbside carryout very pleasant and relaxing.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 12-16-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:51 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If anyone is interested in seeing the steering wheel swap procedure, here's a youtube video.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:02 PM
GTTommy
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

So I had covid this last week which meant I couldn't do much apart from read rennlist. I found this unbelievable thread and it's taken 4 whole nights to read all 88 pages.

Tom you absolute legend, what a build, I was so sad to see you sold the car!

In the mean time I now have a parts list that's 4 pages long! DSC + tractives have to be done as a starting point!

The following 2 users liked this post by GTTommy:
Fisher (12-24-2022), Tom@TPC Racing (03-21-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 12:36 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 782 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by GTTommy
So I had covid this last week which meant I couldn't do much apart from read rennlist. I found this unbelievable thread and it's taken 4 whole nights to read all 88 pages.

Tom you absolute legend, what a build, I was so sad to see you sold the car!

In the mean time I now have a parts list that's 4 pages long! DSC + tractives have to be done as a starting point!
I am a fellow fan of Tom's posts.
Did you see the latest thread in the 991 section??
It is shaping up to be good. GT3RS!!
The following 3 users liked this post by jamesinger:
Fisher (12-24-2022), mikes70 (03-19-2022), Tom@TPC Racing (03-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 08:00 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 117 Posts

Did airbox add or improve engine sound in cabin or same? Thank you
Old 11-22-2022, 09:17 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Brian Himmelman
Did airbox add or improve engine sound in cabin or same? Thank you
I was unable to hear any sound difference from the airbox over the distinctive exhaust sound of the Mezger GT engine.
The following users liked this post:
Brian Himmelman (12-23-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 07:25 AM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 706 Likes on 316 Posts

Tom,

I would like to do the Motec CDL3 dash that u hve on ur car .
Can u tell me whats involved for install/mounting etc?

Also where can i find one.
I would consider a used one as well.

Thxs Rich
Old 11-23-2022, 10:18 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RDS928S
Tom,

I would like to do the Motec CDL3 dash that u hve on ur car .
Can u tell me whats involved for install/mounting etc?

Also where can i find one.
I would consider a used one as well.

Thxs Rich
The way I did the install is illustrated in post #639 to 649 in this thread.
Link- https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...07-gt3-43.html

Not sure where to find one now. I did this 5 years ago and at the time the CDL3 was already an outdated product by almost a decade. I chose the CDL3 because it looks similar to what comes on a factory 997 Cup car.
Old 12-15-2022, 12:03 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Not sure where to find one now. I did this 5 years ago and at the time the CDL3 was already an outdated product by almost a decade. I chose the CDL3 because it looks similar to what comes on a factory 997 Cup car.
I stand to correct myself- On an unrelated search it appears that the Motec CDL3 is in the current product page. Its at the bottom of the page but nonetheless its on the page. And there are vendors online offering it in case anyone is wanting one.

Old 12-23-2022, 08:38 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 792 Posts

Hey Tom, I belive you now have a 991gt3? If so, do you have a build thread like this one?

Quick Reply: Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3