Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3 (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/818518-shaping-up-a-new-to-me-07-gt3.html)

Tom@TPC Racing 06-04-2014 10:34 PM

Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3(that turned into a build thread)

1 Attachment(s)
I bought this 07 GT3 from a Chevy dealer in Albany, NY back in March. This car was pretty rough around the edges(its all can afford on a grease monkey's salary :) ). The dealer left the key ON in the ignition and drained the battery dead in the showroom. The previous owner spent good money on mods but just didn't turned out too well. The good news is the handling was so bad, even at legal highway speed, I doubt that any one would track this car for more than a few laps. Here's the journey to shaping her up!

Tom@TPC Racing 06-04-2014 10:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The very next day after driving the car home I had to put it on the dyno because it felt pretty flat. It does have an aftermarket cone air filter, which is not my preference. Sure enough power is a little down. And looks like its never had spark plugs and fuel filter change so let's do it!

Tom@TPC Racing 06-04-2014 10:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I really wish this car came with the factory airbox because it cost about $800!! Need to figure something out with the airbox... and it needs a MAF sensor because it was coated with the cone filter oil.

GTEE3 06-04-2014 10:49 PM

^
Tom,
nice find, how many miles?

Tom@TPC Racing 06-04-2014 10:52 PM

The Airbox Saga

15 Attachment(s)
If I am to spend 800 bucks on an airbox, it ain't going to be the stock one! The pictures are worth a thousand words.

Tom@TPC Racing 06-04-2014 10:56 PM

The Airbox Saga, Part 2

7 Attachment(s)
All that work was worth it. Check out the dyno! All dyno runs made will lid closed.

Jamie_GT3 06-04-2014 11:07 PM

Cup Box is a nice cheap solution compared to the stock box... Did you do the plugs and the box at the same time and re dyno?

Tom@TPC Racing 06-04-2014 11:19 PM

On to the suspension

8 Attachment(s)
As I said before, the previous owner spend good money on mods but the results were less than ideal. Just look at this set up... Not one corner was right. I was actually amazing that the steering wheel was even remotely straight! Got some sorting out to do. I only work on my car after shop hours and weekends in case you were wondering.

Jamie_GT3 06-04-2014 11:21 PM

That's a hell of a bend...

993Brendan 06-04-2014 11:35 PM

Nice write up! Congrats on the car.

Tom@TPC Racing 06-04-2014 11:37 PM

12 Attachment(s)
As I swap out the suspension parts, I Cleaned, I Cleaned, and I Cleaned. It take not time to change parts but it take hours and hours to clean. I used up 2 cases of gum cutter and a gallon of simple green.

T-Rex06 06-04-2014 11:37 PM

It's good to see that you're putting in much needed TLC to bring the car back to how it's supposed to be. Congrats on the purchase.

Terrance

Mvez 06-04-2014 11:47 PM

Congrats on the new ride.

You've inspired me to clean my crankcase....

Tom@TPC Racing 06-05-2014 12:03 AM

More suspension

9 Attachment(s)
There's more than one way to setup a car. It is my preference to setup the front geometry so that I don't have to run a stiffer rear sway bar for push, which this car had. Not only did I got rid for the GT2 rear bar for the stock .1GT3 rear bar, I also added a stiffer front bar for more rear grip. I don't have money to change shocks & springs now so the best I can do is put on .2 front springs that are laying around.

I want to take the opportunity to give Michael Levitas, owner of TPC Racing a big shout out. Thank You Very Much, Mike, for letting me use the shop after hours and for taking me along to the races to sponge up the setup knowledge from the pro drivers.

Tom@TPC Racing 06-05-2014 12:10 AM

The finishing touches...

5 Attachment(s)
...for now.

The previous owner bought genuine Porsche RS rear wheels. Which looks neat...BUT NOT TRACKABLE ON A NARROW BODY!!!:banghead: Had to buy a new set of wheel.

Bump tested and corner balanced. Finally, ready for the track.:cheers: