Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Great idea on the connector. Thanks! I'll get a 4-pin deutsch connector and install it later.

I have a lot of customers who use this tool, this will be the first time using it myself so have to learn my way with the functions. I am planning on comparing lateral-g force between stock PASM module and DSC using the same tires and driving the same line.
If you like data this tool will consume hours of your time, in a good way!

Friction circle setup:
http://www.trailbrake.net/featured-a...he-g-g-diagram

And some other tips:
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-profiles.html
Old 10-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
If you like data this tool will consume hours of your time, in a good way!

Friction circle setup:
http://www.trailbrake.net/featured-a...he-g-g-diagram

And some other tips:
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-profiles.html
Thanks for the tips! I love data. My first and only personal experience with track data was when I went to Derek Daly Racing School back in 1999. Back then that was the only school with data. As simple as the device was it was very useful. They had a pro driver do a hot lap to show the students what their formula car can do(on data) and we worked our way up to it. I am very much looking forward to using data again. When working with the race team only the drivers and one engineer can see the data in a closed area.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:12 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Just spent the later part of my evening reading this thread...WOW....how friggin cool is this heard and Tom's car!

I wish my car was this sorted out for street track use!.....wish I had a shop in Tampa like TPC too.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:25 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Ok, I just stumbled on this thread and I must say it is fantastic work!

I have B16 damptronics for a 997.1GT3 sitting on my shelf.
I used them on my RS but found them on the stiff side for street when running lower then stock ride height. With a sticky tire they were nice on the track however.

I have since moved into a shock much like the EXE-TC. I used them for tarmac rallying and have had success with them on the street as well as Sebring therefore they have remained on the car since 2011.

I recently bought a 997.1TT and would love to give it some suspension tuning as it will see the odd track day but it is mainly a daily driver.

My questions are:
Can TPC provide the neccessary equipment to allow my GT3 B16 to fit on my 9971.TT?
And will the DPC module take the "sting" out of them on the street?

Of course I could always sell my B16 or buy JRZ or something but for my 997.1TT I would like to maintain the PASM for a stock appearance and would love to reuse the B16s again if possible.

Some pics of my Rally shocks compared to the stock shocks and the B16 compared to the springs used on my rally shocks.
Attached Images    

Last edited by tcsracing1; 11-16-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 38 Posts

With the stock PASM shocks your car rode stiff when you lowered it because you were probably only a few mm from the bump stops. You can't see it and most don't know it because the stock spring coil is wound so closed up at the upper half, you can't see behind it. But if you change out to different springs, it becomes so obvious. My guess is at a rear ride height of 120mm, you are only 10mm away from the bump stops. The only solution to that would be to either raise the rear, shorten the shock and/or cut off part of the bump stop, or do as Tom did by raising the shock mount point with the JRZ mounts.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Ok, I just stumbled on this thread and I must say it is fantastic work!

I have B16 damptronics for a 997.1GT3 sitting on my shelf.
I used them on my RS but found them on the stiff side for street when running lower then stock ride height. With a sticky tire they were nice on the track however.

I have since moved into a shock much like the EXE-TC. I used them for tarmac rallying and have had success with them on the street as well as Sebring therefore they have remained on the car since 2011.

I recently bought a 997.1TT and would love to give it some suspension tuning as it will see the odd track day but it is mainly a daily driver.

My questions are:
Can TPC provide the neccessary equipment to allow my GT3 B16 to fit on my 9971.TT?

Of course I could always sell my B16 or buy JRZ or something but for my 997.1TT I would like to maintain the PASM for a stock appearance and would love to reuse the B16s again if possible.

Some pics of my Rally shocks compared to the stock shocks and the B16 compared to the springs used on my rally shocks.

My questions are:
We have the required mechanical hardware for this conversion. For the electrical side, you'll have to source the OEM front PASM cable extensions or just extend the cables yourself by soldering two wires.

In most case, DSC(Dynamic Suspension Control) module will make PASM/Damptronic shocks ride more compliant over bumps and improve stability. The exception is when there's a pre-existing mechanic condition, such as what Steve W posted about shock travel(stroke) shortened and riding on the bump rubber. Well, actually, while DSC is not a cure for such a mechanical condition it will help by improving the damping force so that the shocks are riding less on bump rubber and the velocity of rubber contact is reduced. As a result the ride becomes smoother and will improve grip, but again that's not a cure at the root.

DSC is more than just PASM. As I have wrote many times, DSC is a fully active and responds instantaneously to the driver's and the car's input. For example, you can run 300 lb spring in front but will have the effectiveness of 500 lbs springs only when heavy braking to avoid severe dive which consequentially lifts the rear. DSC has three modes all are fully active.

PS- Holy smokes! The second photo you posted has a rear upper hat that's like 1.5" tall! That's the travel(stroke) loss from the shock.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:37 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve W
With the stock PASM shocks your car rode stiff when you lowered it because you were probably only a few mm from the bump stops. You can't see it and most don't know it because the stock spring coil is wound so closed up at the upper half, you can't see behind it. But if you change out to different springs, it becomes so obvious. My guess is at a rear ride height of 120mm, you are only 10mm away from the bump stops. The only solution to that would be to either raise the rear, shorten the shock and/or cut off part of the bump stop, or do as Tom did by raising the shock mount point with the JRZ mounts.
I actually never had my stock shocks lowered.
But I did have my B16's lowered. They were stiff when low which mean your are probably right about the bumpstops.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:42 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

We have the required mechanical hardware for this conversion. For the electrical side, you'll have to source the OEM front PASM cable extensions or just extend the cables yourself by soldering two wires.
PS- Holy smokes! The second photo you posted has a rear upper hat that's like 1.5" tall! That's the travel(stroke) loss from the shock.
thanks Tom!

I believe my B16s came with a bag of cable extensions or spares?
I am not sure what hats were used to install my B16s on my GT3 at the time but I assume it what was what came in the box?
Old 11-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
thanks Tom!

I believe my B16s came with a bag of cable extensions or spares?
I am not sure what hats were used to install my B16s on my GT3 at the time but I assume it what was what came in the box?
No prob.

Yes the B16's should have came with a pair of extensions. If you still have them then you're good to go.

The B16's rears were designed for use with the stock rubber upper mounts. There are photos of them in page 4 of this thread- pay particular attention to the rear shocks to see the exposed portion of the stem to eye out the travel.

Also, your front ride height is too low, at least for the B16 front springs. I know because the bottom two coils of the spring have been touching.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:14 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

The B16's rears were designed for use with the stock rubber upper mounts. There are photos of them in page 4 of this thread- pay particular attention to the rear shocks to see the exposed portion of the stem to eye out the travel.
Actually page 5 has better photos.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:50 AM
nexus77241
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Just spent the last two hours reading through this entire thread. It's great what you've done with he car and it's awesome hat you're sharing it and your knowledge with the rest of us. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:45 AM
AEsco48
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Tom, it was nice meeting you and chatting at PRI!
Old 01-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nexus77241
Just spent the last two hours reading through this entire thread. It's great what you've done with he car and it's awesome hat you're sharing it and your knowledge with the rest of us. Thanks!
Thanks for reading.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AEsco48
Tom, it was nice meeting you and chatting at PRI!
Nice meeting you as well. Will have to link up at Mid-Ohio some time.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:55 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Any information regarding the DSC Sport/Tractive DDA Suspension System that is coming out next month? What improvements does this combo give over the OEM shocks/springs + DSC?

Quick Reply: Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3