Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:23 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 969 Likes on 534 Posts
Default T6 at Summit Point Raceway

This weekend I actually did more driving than I did wrenching for customers. I'm surprised by the Bridgestone RE11 street tires having the grip to get a little air at T6.
Attached Images  

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 08-13-2014, 09:24 AM
GT2rainge
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
You're welcome.
Got it on the 996 rear shocks. You're correct they'll fit 997 Cup rear uprights.
997-type uprights on 996 is totally adapting parts from a different generation car.
This requires a lot of time to get right so best to just take your time and not rush it.
Will need to custom make hardware to mount the rear sway bar depending on whether you mount the drop links to the shock bodies or the new uprights.
Good luck.

Yes I will take my time and hopefully it will work out. The hardest part I've found so far is adapting the uprights to take hand brake shoes so my car is still street legal.
With regards the sway bar I'm just going to run the stock gt2 bar for now using the mounts on the rear dampers.
The uprights themselves are not far off the same as 996 gt3 Rs street car items but with revised geometry. All the heat shields etc from the 996 Rs fit.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GT2rainge
Yes I will take my time and hopefully it will work out. The hardest part I've found so far is adapting the uprights to take hand brake shoes so my car is still street legal.
With regards the sway bar I'm just going to run the stock gt2 bar for now using the mounts on the rear dampers.
The uprights themselves are not far off the same as 996 gt3 Rs street car items but with revised geometry. All the heat shields etc from the 996 Rs fit.
I'll let you know how I get on.
About 7 years ago we did a similar conversion. It was on a 996TT(not GT2). Anyway, we didn't retain the parking brake and I remember it took a long time to sort out rear end stability. Don't underestimate the subtle geometry difference. Good luck again and enjoy the learning experience.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:27 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

About 7 years ago we did a similar conversion. It was on a 996TT(not GT2). Anyway, we didn't retain the parking brake and I remember it took a long time to sort out rear end stability. Don't underestimate the subtle geometry difference. Good luck again and enjoy the learning experience.

That's a little worrying, did you use the subframes from the cup or retain the turbos items?
Old 08-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That's a little worrying, did you use the subframes from the cup or retain the turbos items?
Stock 996TT subframes. Expect the wheels to stick out further if you didn't already know that.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:48 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Stock 996TT subframes. Expect the wheels to stick out further if you didn't already know that.
I have the subframes and everything off the same year car.
No I didn't realise it will make the wheels stick out further, I'll have to just fit everything and see if it can all work. I'm hoping so as I fitted the front uprights and the cars turn in and feel is now awesome and I was kinda hoping I'd get the same results from the rear, but we'll see.

Sorry to have hijacked your thread slightly and took it so off topic, what are your next plans for your project?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:19 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Sorry to have hijacked your thread slightly and took it so off topic, what are your next plans for your project?
No worries. You should start a thread since you are doing a very interesting project.

The car is really hooked up for a street car running street tires on track. So at this time I am happy with the suspension. It has actually been a couple years since I had a car that I didn't want/need to tweak the suspension between track events. I am feeling pretty bored but short on cash to do anything. Next thing is a set of 18" wheels with Nitto NT01 tires if they ever become available again. Anyone have experience transitioning from Bridgestone RE11 to Nitto Nt01? And then or maybe even before I want to rebuilt the rear diff. Right now the diff has like 2 or 3 lbs. of preload. LOL
Old 08-14-2014, 01:34 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

This is a great thread... Thanks Tom!

Looks like I have some 'light reading' to make it through all of this!!

GT2rainge: I have modded rear 996 RSR uprights to allow for E-brakes - writeup in the 996GT3 section under my 'name' in 'Up-fixen der GT3...'

Ray
Old 08-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Anyone have experience transitioning from Bridgestone RE11 to Nitto Nt01? And then or maybe even before I want to rebuilt the rear diff. Right now the diff has like 2 or 3 lbs. of preload. LOL
I'm sure you're a much more advanced/aggressive driver than I am, but when i went to NT01 it was a matter of changing nothing, having my shops chassis guy look at my tires after a day, and listen to my feedback, and he ended up adding a little more negative camber front/rear and tweaking my sways more similar to how you have them and not changing anything else. Pressures I run are about 32/34 hot. My diff was about that much preload before I put a guard unit in it. BTW, NT01 are out there. run the 245/305. Oh, also one thing I noticed, the NT01 have a little softer sidewall than the street tires on 19", and even though I'm not an advanced driver, I could feel the slight change in the time for the car taking a "set" and then it was literally just stuck. Night and day difference. The NT01 have a nice graceful give and they do talk to you on edge, not as loud as a street tire though.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
BTW, NT01 are out there. run the 245/305. Oh, also one thing I noticed, the NT01 have a little softer sidewall than the street tires on 19", and even though I'm not an advanced driver, I could feel the slight change in the time for the car taking a "set" and then it was literally just stuck. Night and day difference. The NT01 have a nice graceful give and they do talk to you on edge, not as loud as a street tire though.
Thank you very much for sharing the helpful info. 245/305 is the size I had in mind. I will look forward to trying them. But first I need to buy a set of 18" wheels first. Probably be a set of OZ wheels from tirerack in the Fall.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:41 AM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Tom

Really great thread, thanks for taking the time to detail all you hard work

Could you please shoot me a PM on DSC pricing for 997.1 and 997.2 GT3's
Old 09-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by modoz61
Hi Tom

Really great thread, thanks for taking the time to detail all you hard work

Could you please shoot me a PM on DSC pricing for 997.1 and 997.2 GT3's
Hi Mike. Thank you for reading and for your kind words.

You got it.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Next Next Mod

I haven't posted anything new on my car lately because I've been very busy working on various projects and providing tech support at the shop. Also need to save up some mula before I can do anything else. But that doesn't mean I can't browse.

My next upgrade is definitely going to be a set R-comp tires but I'm going run the same set of RE11's for one more event. The next next upgrade will be Limited Slip Diff! I will enjoy this step immensely because I'm totally a techie. In the past I have relied on experts within the company I work for and other experts in the industry for diff setups. I got involve with suspension adjustments after the diff work. I think it is time for me to get more in-depth with this "black art" component. Most of us here know what it basically does but how does it do what it does and how does it affect the balance of the car? I came across this informative article and wanted share. Its pretty basic level stuff but I thought the explanations and terminology are good. Our cars are factory equipped with Salisbury type differential(aka clutch/plate type). For those of who are into motorbikes like myself, the Salisbury type diff is very much equivalent to the slipper clutch. Hope you enjoy the reading.

http://www.intothered.dk/simracing/differential.html
Old 09-03-2014, 03:31 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Tom, just read this whole thread. Your desire and ability to learn are fascinating!

I have 2-way Moton CS on 600/800 springs (with tenders) on my 6GT3 (from previous owner), doing 70/30% street/track. I love it on the track but sometimes I wish I had the dynamic adjustability of your DSC unit for the street.

You will love the Nittos (after you find them).
Old 09-04-2014, 12:34 AM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tom, thanks for posting the LSD article!

Quick Reply: Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3