Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

COTA -DM Event March13-14 *Cancelled. COTA suffers disgrace due to lack of integrity

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 11:33 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So is DM on, or not?
Old 12-23-2012, 12:36 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

Guys,

Just a quick tip to keep things in perspective. Don't let this crap affect your desicison to go to the MVP event at COTA. From the sound of things, we got really lucky that our event is still being honored. After the 4 pre-agreed events pass, there isn't going to be much action there for DE folks there. Might as well take advantage of the opportunity to go now....
Old 12-23-2012, 01:24 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Second that thought
Old 12-23-2012, 01:32 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Originally Posted by The Greek
Guys,

Just a quick tip to keep things in perspective. Don't let this crap affect your desicison to go to the MVP event at COTA. From the sound of things, we got really lucky that our event is still being honored. After the 4 pre-agreed events pass, there isn't going to be much action there for DE folks there. Might as well take advantage of the opportunity to go now....
You just get ready to have nightmares of seeing my license plate
Old 12-23-2012, 08:39 AM
tmark
Instructor

Default David Murry Track Days at COTA

Unfortunately, I've got no definitive answer as to whether or not our March event is still a "go".

We don't want to pull the plug on the deal prematurely in the off chance that we're still on, so David has emailed Jason (again) to ask for clarification.

For now, we're going to operate under the assumption that, while we don't have a fully executed contract, we do have a verbal commitment.

The language in the track's official statement was ambiguous enough to give us the faint hope that we're one of the "select track events" that will be granted a date.

We're not naive. Though we haven't been told anything officially, we're going to wait for a few more days to see what (if anything) develops.

A lot of you have been working hard to help make this deal happen and we want to make sure that, if it's at all possible, it does.

I'll keep you all posted.

-Mark

Last edited by tmark; 12-23-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:08 AM
sstjohn
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

COTA management is certainly stumbling on this one. Yes they might not be absolutely maximizing their revenue this year by allowing the HPDE groups and Club racing but they are going to need us. Rich guys that want to say they drove the track will run dry in a year or two. They are not true enthusiasts like us that will return over and over again. The mentally deranged track rats will be the ones keeping their weekends full in a few years.

I for one will not let this affect my trip to the MVP event. I'm going to have a blast driving the world class track and hanging out with friends in Austin for three days.

Hopefully, their management has learned from their colossal blunder of the last day or so.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,878 Likes on 970 Posts

Ping me when the drama is over.

Last edited by Nizer; 12-23-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Well you can also hang your hat on the statement they made that if the organizer has not been contacted they can assume their event is still on. Hope to hear some positive news from you guys next week after Christamas.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by sstjohn
COTA management is certainly stumbling on this one. Yes they might not be absolutely maximizing their revenue this year by allowing the HPDE groups and Club racing but they are going to need us. Rich guys that want to say they drove the track will run dry in a year or two.
Yup. Makes it all the more ironic that they are seeking an additional $5,000,000 subsidy from the city & state to keep running next year.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:59 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m

As rusty as you are these days and Randy spanking you at your home track. Start doing stretches with that left arm. Hate to see you get a serious case of "point by elbow" and get benched next year
Old 12-23-2012, 12:33 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
Guys,

Words of wisdom from da Greek.

Peter
Old 12-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Originally Posted by jenk12m

As rusty as you are these days and Randy spanking you at your home track. Start doing stretches with that left arm. Hate to see you get a serious case of "point by elbow" and get benched next year
Mike will use his usual plan

Park on Randy butt, hit brakes when he does....hit gas earlier

End of day use force and pass randy
Old 12-23-2012, 03:33 PM
tmark
Instructor

Default David Murry Track Days at COTA

Unfortunately, I've still got no definitive answer as to whether or not our March event is a "go".

We don't want to pull the plug on the deal prematurely in the off chance that we're still on, so David has emailed Jason (again) to ask for clarification. Additionally, I have contacted Julie Loignon (COTA's PR head) to ask for her input.

For now, we're going to operate under the assumption that, while we don't have a fully executed contract, we do have a verbal commitment from their Manager of Track Operations.

The language in the track's official release was ambiguous enough to give us the faint hope that we're one of the "select track events" that will be granted a date.

We're not naive. Though we haven't been told anything officially, we're going to wait a few more days to see what (if anything) develops.

A lot of you have been working hard to help make this deal happen and we want to make sure that, if it's at all possible, it does.

I'll keep you all posted.

-Mark
Old 12-23-2012, 04:42 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi David

Input from motorsports community to COTA's unprofessional rental contract cancellation was swift and intense and no doubt their management team will under go some shake up. Under public (and politician) pressure with negative news press they decided to bow and honor the contract that was paid such as MVP but in the same time left yours and many other in limbo. Personally I am really disappointed with the direction COTA under took and cater only to the very rich and elite race organization when regular Texans are ask to support race venues with millions of tax dollar.

I am committed to support Mark's MVP DE event but my excitement about the track are pretty much gone. Unless COTA management reverse course and offer track experience to everyone regardless of club association, social status and money I will never go back nor support their race venue. We will know more from COTA in the days and weeks ahead

Cheers

Mike

Last edited by mikymu; 12-23-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:56 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ride smart is back on for June

Ride Smart and Circuit of The Americas executives today have agreed to go ahead with the June 1 and June 2 RideSmart trackday event. The number one priority for both Ride Smart and Circuit of The Americas is a safe, positive, and a learning experience for the rider, and there is now a clear understanding between Ride Smart and Circuit of the Americas, with the common goal of assuring that participants will receive a safe, fun, and an ultimate experience on this challenging new track.

I think one of the concern for COTA is having too many cars on the track at one time. Perhaps dividing up cars into 30-40 per groups can ease their mind instead of open all day

Quick Reply: COTA -DM Event March13-14 *Cancelled. COTA suffers disgrace due to lack of integrity