Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

COTA -DM Event March13-14 *Cancelled. COTA suffers disgrace due to lack of integrity

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:46 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I suggest for those who are going to Cota please don't display any vids of Cota track- it only promotes the track. Screw them!!! Mike
Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Are there so many people out there to bid for a track day that you back out on a sure thing??? I find it hard to believe that is the case.
There is a bit of tongue in cheek with that, not really an auction per se, but sell a small guys agreed on space to a likely big race team that will throw around 50k a day like it's nothing. Not too far off.

There are several race series there this year, Moto GP, V8 Supercars, ALMS, Grand-Am, F1. I'm sure there will be teams there sporadically throughout the year. I live within earshot of Road Atlanta, meaning I can hear cars when they are there, you would be surprised how often they are rented out.

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I suggest for those who are going to Cota please don't display any vids of Cota track- it only promotes the track. Screw them!!! Mike
All of my videos are link only so they can only be seen from a thread here or friends I send them too, but I like the idea. I will have lots of video and pics, but won't share them too publicly.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 AM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie - RPW
Jus received the email, this really sucks.
Who sent the email?
Are they being sent to those who registered?

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 12-28-2012, 01:19 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tmark
It is with disappointment that we must make the following announcement:

Today, we were informed by the Executive Vice President of the track that the dates March 12-13, 2013 were no longer available to us. COTA stated that they were reserving those dates for "team testing" after having confirmed, very recently, that they were available to us.

We are removing COTA from our schedule and will refund all event payments immediately.

While we understand that tracks have their choice as to who/when to rent their facility, we are frustrated and disappointed by the way that this deal was handled.

David and I regret the inconvenience that this caused you.

-Mark
Sorry to hear that David. At this point I can careless about the paved circular road called circuit of the Americas. It is without motorsports spirit and I will not support any professional races there including the 2013 F1 race - it might as well be a race that does not count.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:32 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default CIRCUIT OF THE ARISTOCRAT

COTA = CIRCUIT OF THE ARISTOCRAT = total fail!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:58 AM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmark
Today, we were informed by the Executive Vice President of the track that the dates March 12-13, 2013 were no longer available to us. COTA stated that they were reserving those dates for "team testing" after having confirmed, very recently, that they were available to us.

-Mark

Just out of curiosity, what teams? F1 is racing in Australia close to those dates. ALMS is running in Sebring at that time. I don't think most low level teams could afford a day much less three at COTA.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:09 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I wish NASA had a Feb TWS event, I would sell my COTA registration and just go to that. They have killed pretty much all excitement for this event. I'd be ok just letting them sell the dates to the teams like they intended to do and getting money back. Still considering changing my plans as I think Mark could easily fill the spot. Really would rather put COTA on my personal ignore list. Only going for the group we've assembled at this point and to do that NARRA event 2 weeks later.

I was only excited about the track as being able to learn it and drive it again with NASA or NARRA.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Just out of curiosity, what teams? F1 is racing in Australia close to those dates. ALMS is running in Sebring at that time. I don't think most low level teams could afford a day much less three at COTA.

I suspect it is 2 or 3 teams that are joining together to rent the track for testing, as several Grand Am and CTSCC teams did a few weeks ago.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just received a full refund from DMTD within hours of his cancelation.

It's really a shame when the Promoters have more integrity than the Track Owners. When all this starts to change I hope everyone will remember that it was not the employees of COTA that did all this to so many.

I hear calls for the PR head to quit, the Track Manager etc. These types of decisions are Made by ownership and they then send out their people to take the heat.

If you are angry then i would suggest you proffesionally contact Red McCombs group in San Antonio. They need to hear what a mess their minority stake in COTA is becoming.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:34 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Man I wish NASA had a Feb TWS event, I would sell my COTA registration and just go to that. They have killed pretty much all excitement for this event. I'd be ok just letting them sell the dates to the teams like they intended to do and getting money back. Still considering changing my plans as I think Mark could easily fill the spot. Really would rather put COTA on my personal ignore list. Only going for the group we've assembled at this point and to do that NARRA event 2 weeks later.

I was only excited about the track as being able to learn it and drive it again with NASA or NARRA.
PCA has a DE the first weekend of February at TWS. Registration opens at noon exactly one month in advance. You need to be on the mouse at noon to get in, but you WILL have a great time running with us. Oh, and make sure you are a PCA member. They get first dibs on the slots.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 AM
jenk12m
Banned

All this has put a sour taste on still attending the MVP event
Old 12-28-2012, 12:41 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too bad for you guys. Accountability is a word fewer people understand and observe these days...just my 0.02
Old 12-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911

Dez, to add on to what mglobe said: do Vonschmidt's open track day on 1/31, then TWS' own open track day on 2/1, then do the PCA event 2/2 and 2/3 !!!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:05 PM
vette6autox
Burning Brakes

When the well runs dry, there will be a different attitude with car clubs. We all have seen this before nothing new.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Eddie - RPW
Banned

Originally Posted by RSRanger
Who sent the email?
Are they being sent to those who registered?

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Ranger,

Got the email from DM website.
I actually had the feeling that this would happen, but after I saw that the events were being honored, I relaxed .... what a fool.

Quick Reply: COTA -DM Event March13-14 *Cancelled. COTA suffers disgrace due to lack of integrity