Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

COTA 2/1-3 ultimate DE Cup participant list

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,235 Likes on 1,856 Posts

I made a mistake and opened Randy's second run, a 28.5 versus Brian's 29.4, but this is what I can do with this. Randy is on the outside (red) and Brian is on the inside (grey), speed band color legend bottom right. I'll do the other, quicker one in a few days after my MoTeC training.
Attached Images  
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

Pretty cool way to look at speed data!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
So Ky has the ultimate cheater car. I totally forgot that he bought that gmg car
I need all the help I can get to keep up with all of you.

No really, I don't think it makes that much of a difference as I have driven stock RS before as well. The tune is made for race gas, which I never use.

I need a data acquisition system like Traqmate or something...what do you guys like?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My specialty!
Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I need all the help I can get to keep up with all of you.

No really, I don't think it makes that much of a difference as I have driven stock RS before as well. The tune is made for race gas, which I never use.

I need a data acquisition system like Traqmate or something...what do you guys like?
Buy whatever Peter tell you to buy, but messed with a couple of them and bought VBOX I love it. I hate Traqmate.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:22 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Buy whatever Peter tell you to buy, but messed with a couple of them and bought VBOX I love it. I hate Traqmate.
can i use my gopro3 with vbox?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree!
looks like randy could have shaved off some more time, looks as though he was coastin' a little bit in the last sector!
must have been some traffic in front of him.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:02 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, I only have the data, no video (too big to e-mail), so I can't tell what is going on other than speeds and G's. This is NOT Randy's quickest recorded lap, just the first of three runs I happened to randomly plug in.

On DAQ, while I do like Traqmate a lot, it has no vehicle info (RPM/throttle position) interface for "modern" (996/997/991) cars. It is also more work to couple the data WITH the video.

This is where the Video VBox, AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam or the Race-Keeper come to the fore! Nice thing with the VVBox is that it's SD video is REALLY good, much better than the FOV, varying exposure and lack of clarity in the R-K.

At this time, the GoPro Hero 3 is not capable of being integrated, automatically triggered or synched with any recognized data system, other than going through a bunch of steps to link the data and video together and after the fact, without using third-party software solutions like TrackVision, DashWare or RaceRender.

Where most of this stuff has gotten better is just to be able to "pull the card" and play the video, right away, with all the good stuff on it already! <grin>

Off to MoTeC class with Chris Brown this morning in Charlotte!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
i agree!
looks like randy could have shaved off some more time, looks as though he was coastin' a little bit in the last sector!
must have been some traffic in front of him.
Caught up to a car in the last sector
Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Feature of Racekeeper. Very simple way to see who't getting to power sooner at a glance.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, I only have the data, no video (too big to e-mail), so I can't tell what is going on other than speeds and G's. This is NOT Randy's quickest recorded lap, just the first of three runs I happened to randomly plug in.

On DAQ, while I do like Traqmate a lot, it has no vehicle info (RPM/throttle position) interface for "modern" (996/997/991) cars. It is also more work to couple the data WITH the video.

This is where the Video VBox, AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam or the Race-Keeper come to the fore! Nice thing with the VVBox is that it's SD video is REALLY good, much better than the FOV, varying exposure and lack of clarity in the R-K.

At this time, the GoPro Hero 3 is not capable of being integrated, automatically triggered or synched with any recognized data system, other than going through a bunch of steps to link the data and video together and after the fact, without using third-party software solutions like TrackVision, DashWare or RaceRender.

Where most of this stuff has gotten better is just to be able to "pull the card" and play the video, right away, with all the good stuff on it already! <grin>

Off to MoTeC class with Chris Brown this morning in Charlotte!
I've asked RK about their video in the past. They usually suggest re focusing the lens. I don't have the patience for that as you need a video monitor etc.... Not sure why they don't come pre focused from the factory.

If you need to see the whole session from Randy including video, I can put it in a public folder on my drop box account where you can download it. As you mentioned, they are just too massive to email.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:21 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Watching Randy shortshift to 4th before 10 got me wondering. I tried it both ways and findlly settled on staying in 3rd but would, in retrospect, have loved to try it both ways and compared the data to see which was quicker.

Peter
Old 02-11-2013, 11:41 AM
MirageJHU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Watching Randy shortshift to 4th before 10 got me wondering. I tried it both ways and findlly settled on staying in 3rd but would, in retrospect, have loved to try it both ways and compared the data to see which was quicker.

Peter
Completely anecdotal as I was at least 6-8 seconds off of these guys (my second event in the car, leave me alone! ) but I would go to 4th there as well because regardless of 3rd or 4th you can take it flat and I found myself hitting the limiter on the way down the hill in 3rd then you have to upshift, then brake and downshift in a very short span. It felt faster to let the hill help you gain speed in the higher gear. I don't have any data or anything to support this (again second event in the car) but that's what I felt. Hence "anecdotal."
Old 02-11-2013, 12:10 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Peter
It is 100% faster to leave it in 3rd and go flat all the way through redline down the hill. Feels like you're going to get launched off the track as it it well over a 1g turn at WOT. You hit around 8100 or so as the car straightens down the hill. Just in time to upshift to 4th. I couldn't get out of 133's till I did this and a couple other small adjustments which resulted in an 131.1

I looked at my data using 4th and Nick's data using 3rd and he was smoking me going into that hairpin at the end of the straight. That's what prompted me to ask what he was doing different. Holding 3rd was the trick. Obviously only applicable to standard (non RS) GT cars with high redlines.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:46 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by MirageJHU
Completely anecdotal as I was at least 6-8 seconds off of these guys (my second event in the car, leave me alone! ) but I would go to 4th there as well because regardless of 3rd or 4th you can take it flat and I found myself hitting the limiter on the way down the hill in 3rd then you have to upshift, then brake and downshift in a very short span. It felt faster to let the hill help you gain speed in the higher gear. I don't have any data or anything to support this (again second event in the car) but that's what I felt. Hence "anecdotal."
With the shorter RS gearing I would agree that 4th would be the way to go.

Peter
Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

With the shorter RS gearing I would agree that 4th would be the way to go.

Peter
The video posted was lap 2, 3, 4 of me drinving steves car (non RS on Hoosier)

My brain was still programmed for RS gearing and RA1 stick. The next session I tried some funny stuff in Steves car looking for time (none of it worked LOL). Then I went home, retired from DE

Quick Reply: COTA 2/1-3 ultimate DE Cup participant list