Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

COTA 2/1-3 ultimate DE Cup participant list

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:02 AM
TrackToyz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcrooke
For now, I am going to run only with Driver's Edge, and earn my way up the ranks.
Good plan.

TDE has one of the most rigorous DE programs in Texas. It is also one of the best values as they keep instructors in the car way longer than many others do...very good instructors, too. If they think you are ready, you probably are.

Originally Posted by dcrooke
Unless of course you choose to black ball me there
Event organizers share info on unknown participants...that is nothing new. These are high-risk events with lots of liability not only to participants and their cars, but also to the reputation and viability of the hosting organization. The COTA situation was especially volatile due to all of the politics surrounding it. The stakes were high.

Driver reputations, good and bad, are grown slowly...and are mostly based on demonstrated action. Go forth and demonstrate...just stay off the internet...it's not helping. Seriously.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts

Did i just read that an Audi Quattro wagon was called "balanced" for track driving?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Next generation GT-R...for those who want to drive flat out & don't want to get held up waiting for pesky point-by's

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 06-27-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Your video is a prime example of whats deplorable about the GTR. Your steering mechanics are horrible and if you get into a situation where even the GTR needs some help to escape you have no chance. Your entry to the turns is bad, line looks bad yet here you are talking about lap times instead of learning the most basic of track driving fundamentals like not driving like you are pulling into your garage every turn. And on slicks at that! Id much prefer slower people on track in the advanced/intermediate group that at least know the basics.

Unfortunately this is the type of driver we see in GTRs over and over again. People who want to go fast without learning how to do it properly from a drivers perspective.
LOL, well said.....I dint read the novel

Never understood why someone who cannot drive a street tire at the slip angle for a lap purchases Hoosiers.....or worse slicks. I see this all the time. You think you are going faster, but in reality the grip of the tire is masking your bad habits. With stickier tires bad things happen at a higher rate of speed......just ask the 996 GT3 on slicks that t boned the wall in front of me on sticker Michelin Blues......it took three turns after he passed me (on Toyo) to overdrive the car into the wall

This is just a fun hobby, different storkes for different folks.......but if you want to become a better driver, with better skill......check your ego, throw away your lap timer and run a street tire. With the money saved by running street tires, hire a coach.

As far as lap times go....at COTA, if you are not consistantly sub 2:29 (including traffic) in a 2010-11 GT3RS......you are underdriving your hoosier by a large margin and should learn your car on a less sticky tire so when you get to the point of moving up tires....you are ready
Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 AM
TrackToyz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Izzone

Never understood why someone who cannot drive a street tire at the slip angle for a lap purchases Hoosiers.....or worse slicks. I see this all the time. You think you are going faster, but in reality the grip of the tire is masking your bad habits.
For those of you who are are visual, here's what that looks like. First chart is families of tires. Second chart shows how those curves relate to driving at/under/over the limit.

Note that the front part of each curve is the easy part...driving on pure grip. The top part is what the real action is...driving on slip angle.
Attached Images   
Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
LOL, well said.....I dint read the novel

Never understood why someone who cannot drive a street tire at the slip angle for a lap purchases Hoosiers.....or worse slicks. I see this all the time. You think you are going faster, but in reality the grip of the tire is masking your bad habits. With stickier tires bad things happen at a higher rate of speed......just ask the 996 GT3 on slicks that t boned the wall in front of me on sticker Michelin Blues......it took three turns after he passed me (on Toyo) to overdrive the car into the wall

This is just a fun hobby, different storkes for different folks.......but if you want to become a better driver, with better skill......check your ego, throw away your lap timer and run a street tire. With the money saved by running street tires, hire a coach.

As far as lap times go....at COTA, if you are not consistantly sub 2:29 (including traffic) in a 2010-11 GT3RS......you are underdriving your hoosier by a large margin and should learn your car on a less sticky tire so when you get to the point of moving up tires....you are ready
Couldn't agree more. The max performance street tire segment is so good these days, there isn't a novice or intermediate level driver that can even legitimately justify running anything stickier, to be honest. Hell, I ran this segment on my M3 even when i started instructing, and then finally switched to NT01s once I started towing. Best decision I ever made.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrackToyz
For those of you who are are visual, here's what that looks like. First chart is families of tires. Second chart shows how those curves relate to driving at/under/over the limit.

Note that the front part of each curve is the easy part...driving on pure grip. The top part is what the real action is...driving on slip angle.
The second one reminds me of a girl I once dated. The transition from squeal to scream was epic
Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 AM
TrackToyz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
The second one reminds me of a girl I once dated. The transition from squeal to scream was epic
Clearly, you were "overdriving" her.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrackToyz
Clearly, you were "overdriving" her.
Ha! I think it was borderline the other way around
Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Ha! I think it was borderline the other way around
That's because you must have had a stick shift, and not a flappy paddle.....
Old 02-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

This is how it's done, with narration by Bill Auberlen. Easy 2:25's in a GS car with a passenger.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 AM
TrackToyz
Advanced

Easy 2:25's in a GS car with a passenger.
Despite pinching T11 a little, and not getting all the way track right before T19

I really like what he did for 15. I 've seen a lot of early apex lines there even from pros. His compromise line is a good defensive tactical position, while still enabling a good late apex for the ensuing accel zone. It's probably a smidge faster to stay a tad more track right on that entry and get an even later apex for earlier exit power. But that doesn't work in a race cuz you're heavily exposed.

Great lap.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yeah I am not sure why the cones are there at several corner exits...obviously forcing some track-out pinching
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Did i just read that an Audi Quattro wagon was called "balanced" for track driving?
LOL.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:28 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,652 Likes on 768 Posts

Next generation GT-R...for those who want to drive flat out & don't want to get held up waiting for pesky point-by's
Where do you order those?

Quick Reply: COTA 2/1-3 ultimate DE Cup participant list