Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

"Flying Dutchman or any of the trained Aero Beetle GT3 boys" vs. FIAT Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,597 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Another little piece of advice, share the car, grab data, study, repeat.

The only few things I tried to learn about performance car driving, I learned from much more experienced drivers.

Sharing the car is good, and it teaches a lot
I have with coaches; I don't like it and I want a baseline comparo that leaves a little room for error. If they ball up my car, they will never be found again unless they pay. Hand me a cashiers check for $135K and I'll think about it, but a car not broken does not mean a car not abused. I baby it.

That's easy, let's get together and dyno my fiat and cayman, your aero beetle, and any other potential contender aero beetle, same day, good drinks, good food, videos, pics, etc in preparation for the challenge. My car is on the same conditions as it came from sebring, not all the upgrades you guys get by the month.
Well tha IS easy. You do have ghood idea's as well.
lets do it at Orbit; Eddie organize it. Rad handles the drinks, I pay for the food and Orbit makes sure there are hot girls catering it. We pay regular dyno charger etc. Sounds like another good day. Banana plit ice cream, a lemonade, coke and ice tea for Rad's lunch I can cover, the rest is normal food.

Been there done that. I have seen the screen 490HP.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will be fun!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:10 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Don't get too caught up in Rad's cross dressing championship. His class had 7 competitors, his times in B Stock (a real class with slower cars and almost 50 competitors) would have netted him 17th place.
ouch!!!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I am in

Stock exhaust

Stock tune, rads car goes to dyno and he can't touch it

Stock tires

I'm not going to spend to spend time / money setting my car up for slicks or Hoosier

I'll even take an independent driver if you want that is scca autocross champion and watch from sideline, Ian. Not a Porsche driver by any means
Ian? Bring it on, I have the privilege to be friend with national champion autocrossers, and get them to do the driving for me, but... I strongly prefer the challengers to drive their own ****.

So, my small piece of advice, Izzone, man up and drive your own car.
No problem I'll drive, but I am not sure I am a "safe" candidate due to my Hoosier experience

I've only driven on r6 once, and that was 85gold BMW

Never had purple crack on Giesha , I will need pratice and data before

Last edited by Izzone; 03-04-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:34 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This place is starting to resemble a Honda VTEC forum these days As you know, there are so many variables that influence lap times that a contest like this will only solve for who was fastest on that specific day and at that specific moment. Is that really worth all this trash talking?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:57 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by fc-racer
This place is starting to resemble a Honda VTEC forum these days As you know, there are so many variables that influence lap times that a contest like this will only solve for who was fastest on that specific day and at that specific moment. Is that really worth all this trash talking?

j/k

All jokes aside, these guys are intelligent and mature enough to know their limits (if they weren't I doubt they could afford the cars they are driving). They know their stuff and are passionate about cars. This is why the fastest over a session is a really bad idea, just go out on your own and try to set your fastest time (which is what everyone is mostly doing anyways). Racing involves more self control than car control and this is not a sanctioned race and not licensed racers (that I know of). This will almost certainly lead to guys having a great time at the track and getting some laps in together maybe at some point. Just enter a TT and drive your own stuff and be done with it.

This is the internet and car guys joke and are competitive, it is what makes going to the track fun. The big picture is that none of this no matter how it's done really proves anything. If the cars aren't setup for the track, even a pro is not going to get the most out of it, that's why we have racing series to tell us which is the best platform. This is just like playing a pickup basketball game amongst friends (with 130k basketballs), there is nothing wrong with a little trash talk.

Plus if this does go down, a lot of Rennlisters will be in attendance so we'll all get to have a great time at the track and then hang out and talk more cars afterwards. Maybe I'm an idealist, but that's how I see it playing out. None of these guys are hotheads who don't know how to control themselves, and this is not street racing for lots of cash.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
There is half truth to most of the Florida boys talking......we are all good friends off the track

From the outside it might be hard to read inbetween the inside jokes
Old 03-05-2012, 12:11 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i 'understand'. it's all good, clean fun.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:59 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Don't get too caught up in Rad's cross dressing championship. His class had 7 competitors, his times in B Stock (a real class with slower cars and almost 50 competitors) would have netted him 17th place.
Check 2006 Nationals, check 2010 Utah ProSolo, and check 2011 Nats where A-Stock was still slower than B-Stock, selective memory can be deceiving.

For people that know, BS and CS are still faster classes, and there are 2 years of data, with AS being driven by multiple different National Champions.

So, are you bringing your Turbocharged Aero Beetle on street tires and joining the Challenge or not? I have street tires waiting, just for you, want pics?
Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Rad, with 490whp, and arond 2950lbs ... and a far from stock car, with custom shocks and springs, makes the Fiat a faster car, I believe anyone with common sense knows that. We also knows that the running costs and durability is also a known fact. I agree that you drive your car and that's cool, but I'm yet to see a ferrari in one piece after the same abuse our cars go thru. I heard, I read, That guy did it ... no under my own eyes, driving full sessions all day long.
That being said, I'm up to the task. All this bla bla bla of pro driver of the question, too much work.
Straight heads up in Sebring is a better option.
BTW the GT2 would be a great contender power wise. Maybe the car is 500lbs heavier, but the Power to weight ratio should be close.
397.06whp and 2,993lbs as of yesterday, still having hesitation at low RPM, need it fixed as it makes stop light take offs a little jerky.

Eddie boy, please setup a Dyno day this week. Invite the usual suspects. I need to bring both the Fiat and Coxster, for another baseline, to submit the classification forms for the NASA-TT 2012 season.

NASA-TT is the perfect place for this challenge, lots of open track in the TT group, great driving level in the TT group.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:07 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

haha! blown aero beetles are now the target
Old 03-05-2012, 01:09 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Regarding tires, if R6 are not an option (due to some fear by multiple Aero Beetle boys), we can also try Michelin Sport Cups, or a full street tire (with a 140 or higher treadwear).
Old 03-05-2012, 01:11 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
haha! blown aero beetles are now the "easy collateral" target
fixed.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:41 AM
lopro
Banned

Originally Posted by Izzone
There is half truth to most of the Florida boys talking......we are all good friends off the track

From the outside it might be hard to read inbetween the inside jokes
banter
Old 03-05-2012, 01:51 AM
jenk12m
Banned

397 is your story and your sticking to it i see

Quick Reply: "Flying Dutchman or any of the trained Aero Beetle GT3 boys" vs. FIAT Challenge