Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

"Flying Dutchman or any of the trained Aero Beetle GT3 boys" vs. FIAT Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012 | 03:36 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rules:

- Exhaust modifications: free (all Aero Beetles are running on modified exhausts)
- Hoosier R6
- Steel brakes and PFC08 brake pads
- Splitter, dive planes, wings allowed stock or aftermarket
- No Traction Control and no PSM allowed. All nannies off.
- No excuses
Old 03-04-2012 | 05:08 AM
amdevo
Instructor

im loving this, hope it happens sooner than later, iv tracked both and i wouldnt know which wil come on top, real exciting
Old 03-04-2012 | 07:03 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Rad, please don't complain about having no spoiler wings etc. I just checked the specs for both F430 Scuderia and .2 GT3 RS. Here's the numbers:

F430 Scuderia: 310kg of downforce @186mph. Souce: http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc..._scuderia.html
997.2 GT3 RS: 170kg of downforce @186mph. Source: http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...11_gt3_rs.html
Old 03-04-2012 | 08:33 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
-

- Challenge should focus on drivers rather than cars, so I would like best laps in each car to count, each driver runs in both cars, to eliminate any car advantage over the other, I should say, to eliminate the 2 secs faster lap times the 3.8RS produces over the Fiat.
Rad, can I suggest the following: Rather than swap cars and push hard in an unfamiliar car, for safety, this is where you guys should use a pro driver to benchmark your cars... I'd suggest, run a session to gather best laptimes, hand cars over to a pro to benchmark and determine compare your laps as a % of the best achieved by the pro... Thus it will be the guy who gets the smallest % difference to the pro that takes the Sebring Cup home...

Don't swap cars, may not be a safe or smart move... just saying...

Good luck to you all fellas! And respect to you rad for laying down the challenge and taking on the beatle brigade!
Old 03-04-2012 | 08:41 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

good points, chris!!! i would be devastated if i totalled somebody else's car. even if i had the money to replace it, still would feel very bad!!!
Old 03-04-2012 | 09:13 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Izzone
Modifieds, dirt track round round stuff

At a young age

Then quit racing, dont enjoy the company
Cool. I hear ya on that. But again, you wer ein full Nomex, full cage, etc., not t shirts & shorts like you guys use at Sebring.

Originally Posted by JJE997.2RS
IMO, there is no way the .2RS runs 2:16's at Sebring w/o some serious cheater parts.

Maybe on Michelin Slicks with Pat Long driving...

I think 2:18's is a stretch.
Peter did 2:18's on RA1's. With better tires, 2:16 is more than doable IMO.

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
this challenge sounds great....I may have to come watch all the way from chicago...

btw...I'm certainly no lawyer - - but I can only imagine if something bad happens, ....lawyers would have a field day with what was said on this board......just my humble opinion.....
Agreed. This is why IMO you need a drover who is NOT part of the challenge nor one of the car owners here.

Originally Posted by 911rox
Rad, can I suggest the following: Rather than swap cars and push hard in an unfamiliar car, for safety, this is where you guys should use a pro driver to benchmark your cars... I'd suggest, run a session to gather best laptimes, hand cars over to a pro to benchmark and determine compare your laps as a % of the best achieved by the pro... Thus it will be the guy who gets the smallest % difference to the pro that takes the Sebring Cup home...

Don't swap cars, may not be a safe or smart move... just saying...

Good luck to you all fellas! And respect to you rad for laying down the challenge and taking on the beatle brigade!
Interesting & excellent suggestions. Also agree with no car swap--bad idea IMO.
Old 03-04-2012 | 09:45 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

If you guys are serious I vote for TT with NASA all the way. Your cars would all run in TTU and there are already limitations for that class so you set them up as best you can for that class and let the times do the talking.

Lapping for 30 minutes during an HPDE setting isn't a place to race even if not taking it that seriously and with TT unlike the HPDE thing you are in a competitive setting which adds that extra shot of adrenalin needed to really go for it.

A6s are legal so that's the obvious tire to run and that's what most TT winners use as well as most sprint race winners. The TT thing is no joke and most of the time the TT group will post the fastest lap of the weekend.
Old 03-04-2012 | 09:55 AM
jenk12m
Banned

170k is a little off for your car. I don't think they were going for that when they 1st came out and I know you know that
Old 03-04-2012 | 09:57 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jenk12m
170k is a little off for your car. I don't think they were going for that when they 1st came out and I know you know that
Maybe he meant 170k Euros
Old 03-04-2012 | 09:58 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

that car was $600k here. 7.2 rs was 400k.
Old 03-04-2012 | 10:17 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

What makes this sport so much fun is the man and machine combo thing so let the best man and machine combo do the talking there's no need to switch cars etc.... Once the numbers play out the loser goes back to the drawing board and the winner can run his mouth about what a great car he owns
Old 03-04-2012 | 10:34 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
- Challenge can be at Sebring, Homestead, PBIR. Not traveling a million miles to do this.
Don't blame you. That thing could spontaneously combust at any time, being close to home ideal for a donkey.

- A full tank of fuel in my Fiat lasts around 30 minutes, there is no way the car will handle a 45 minutes stint on a fuel tank, but it can handle (2) 25 minutes sessions. Refueling affects # of laps completed, and it shows nothing for droving skills.
Actually it shows the most important thing- consistency. How much the car, and the driver, slows down after an extended run shows how poorly the car is built and engineered, and how poorly skilled the driver really is.

- NASA-TT runs for 25 minutes sessions, so fastest lap in session counts.
Then run the 25 minute session. On street tires, not R compounds.

- Using Traqmate, we can use the NASA-TT session and use the average from all the flying laps (warmup and cool down not timed). This would not work if NASA merges HPDE-4 with TT because traffic is horrific.

- Challenge should focus on drivers rather than cars, so I would like best laps in each car to count, each driver runs in both cars, to eliminate any car advantage over the other, I should say, to eliminate the 2 secs faster lap times the 3.8RS produces over the Fiat.
Sorry, I don't want to be responsible for your potential fireball, just as I don't want you driving my car.

- 3.8RS is a $135k car , my Fiat is a $170k car, 4.0RS is a $200k, can't see how the Fiat is $100k more expensive. If price makes a car faster, why are you not running DE Cup with a Rolls-Royce Phantoms?
You're full of ****. Compare apples to apples, a Roller is not a sports car. On the other hand, comparing your donkey to a real sports car closer to that price range, say, a McLaren, would really show you how crappy a Scud is.

430 Scud list price- $262K+

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...cuderia_page_5

GT3RS list price- $135,500

http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/911/2...48&trim=gt3-rs

McLaren MP4-12C list price- $229,000

http://www.edmunds.com/mclaren/mp4-1...base&sub=coupe

- Daytona is not fair, except the speedway, the turns are too slow, and at slow turns, cheater Aero Beetle wings offer very little help, so it would not be fair to the Aero Beetle boys.

- There are cheater parts (massive long list) in each Aero Beetle in the area.
I thought you were for real... but I guess not. To whine about mods and such, really? Run whatcha brung, stop letting the wind lift up your petticoat, we don't need to see that. Quitcher bitching and get on your donkey!

- I'm ok with a dyno challenge, both cars on the dyno the same day, but my car will lose to any Aero Beetle, only puts 397whp down against Aero Beetles in the 460whp range, so kind of a pointless challenge.
You would actually lose by a lot more to mine.

The only reason why I chimed up is because my car, even at a used price, is closer to similar cost to yours. My car's list price with options is still almost $40K less than yours and apparently the used price has a similar deviation.

Next post-

Rules:

- Exhaust modifications: free (all Aero Beetles are running on modified exhausts)
- Hoosier R6
- Steel brakes and PFC08 brake pads
- Splitter, dive planes, wings allowed stock or aftermarket
- No Traction Control and no PSM allowed. All nannies off.
- No excuses
Race tires? Really? Can't handle a street tire?

I don't use Performance Friction. I use stock mostly or Endless ME20 which is a street pad. Street pad should be spec.

Aero mods? I have none, my car is OEM aero.

TC and PSM? I don't give a damn if you use them or not.

No excuses? I think you've already used up all the excuses anyone can think of!
Old 03-04-2012 | 10:38 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by sin911
Rad, please don't complain about having no spoiler wings etc. I just checked the specs for both F430 Scuderia and .2 GT3 RS. Here's the numbers:

F430 Scuderia: 310kg of downforce @186mph. Souce: http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc..._scuderia.html
997.2 GT3 RS: 170kg of downforce @186mph. Source: http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...11_gt3_rs.html
+1 he's been complaining about wings this whole time knowing the Ferrari's produce huge DF via Venturi tunnels.

The F430 Challenge cars ran similar times as cup cars and had no wings but just as much (or more) DF.

Then he sandbags on the price factor as well, what's up with this guy?

Do not under any circumstances drive each others cars, that is foolish.
Old 03-04-2012 | 10:46 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
You're full of ****.
Indeed he is, as his comments about a variety of topics in a variety of threads here have proven....

Originally Posted by wanna911
+1 he's been complaining about wings this whole time knowing the Ferrari's produce huge DF via Venturi tunnels.

The F430 Challenge cars ran similar times as cup cars and had no wings but just as much (or more) DF.

Then he sandbags on the price factor as well, what's up with this guy?

Do not under any circumstances drive each others cars, that is foolish.
Indeed +1 on all points.
Old 03-04-2012 | 10:48 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Indeed he is, as his comments about a variety of topics in a variety of threads here have proven....

Indeed +1 on all points.
I'm still waiting on his proof that a 265/30R19 R6 Hoosier fits on the front of the 997.

That's a problem since I've never found such a size R6.

Quick Reply: "Flying Dutchman or any of the trained Aero Beetle GT3 boys" vs. FIAT Challenge