Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, tis the season.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Wow, tis the season.
Yup and seems the theory that 997's are just delayed not immune is gaining strength.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:46 PM
bmp1966
4th Gear

Default One balled 911 that you did not know about

Originally Posted by Mvez
Get off your high horse. That's what I have to say. What am I supposed to say? Sorry for having coolant in my street car? Apologize profusely for the shortcomings of Porsche engineers? Excuse me for not hawking this thread everyday, all day, I have this thing called work to do as well.

**** happens at the track, just last month I had a friend dump coolant in front of me in at 130mph, and I didn't act like a douche based solely on speculation of what could have happened. But if it did, that's why I carry track insurance. I've been off track countless times because of other people's cars, and I don't expect some forum board apology from them just because they blow and engine, or a coolant line, or dump any fluid that sends me off track. In a perfect world, nobody runs coolant, but we are doing DE's, so it's not really realistic to expect everyone will. I run water/wetter in my M3, and have since the car has been out of warranty. Does that make you happy?

Almost all GT3's on track run coolant, simply because of the warranty and corrosion prevention aspects. I know this, and I make the choice to go out on track with this knowledge anyway. They aren't race cars. If they were, we'd all be running water/wetter, and I agree that water/wetter is a better solution than coolant for track safety.

However, nowhere in this thread have I discussed the use of coolant or water, I was talking about the fitting repair, of which mine is actually a pretty good solution along the lines of the pinning, except it doesn't require drilling, and will still prevent the coolant fittings from failing.

What YOU DON'T KNOW, is that just before this happened, I was in the process of trying to decide and schedule how to fix my coolant lines, and pull the engine on my own f-ing dime, for the safety of myself and others, because my friend just had his coolant lines dump in front of me. Unfortunately, mine failed before I was able to fix it, and I was glad that nobody balled anything up.

You are way out of line buddy.
Thanks to you dump, I now have a $4K repair bill to eat. You should have fixed it so the 8 people that when off behind you (including your friend Jerry)
did not have to suffer for your problem.
BP
Old 09-09-2012, 05:17 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

UPDATE:

Coolant hose fixed under warranty. Engined dropped and all the other hoses were re-epoxied (that's the best that was going to happen here). All the coolant is now removed and water wetter/water is in. Was back on the track and everything seems fine........until I had a cracked rim coming through corner 8 drove into pits with no tire pressure. Bummer. Inside barrel replaced and back on track on Wednesday....FINALLY SOME ACTION
Old 09-12-2012, 02:49 AM
AJR73RSR
1st Gear

Default second time

Year:2004
Model:GT3
Mileage:62,000
Circumstances surrounding failure:failed on highway
Specific Coupling:engine coming out
Repair Solution:the reason I am here, 2nd repair first at dealer at 50,000
Old 09-12-2012, 04:35 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by AJR73RSR
Year:2004
Model:GT3
Mileage:62,000
Circumstances surrounding failure:failed on highway
Specific Coupling:engine coming out
Repair Solution:the reason I am here, 2nd repair first at dealer at 50,000
I know the dealer won't weld the hoses, but if it isn't under warranty, this might be worth the consideration if the engine has to be dropped anyway. If you are paying for the engine drop anyway, then welding the hoses at a reputable shop might not cost much more and would give some peace of mind. Just a thought! I would have done this, but my car is under warranty. The dealer did drop my engine and re-epoxy all the coolant lines, but just to be safe I am running water wetter. Was at the track today pushing really hard and everything seems to be fine.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 377 Posts

Does anyone have a link to the exploded view of the fittings that need to be welded?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

another coolant trouble for me

1 month ago, it was a coolant fitting that disconnected. Now it's an hose that open in 2.
the hose was changed like 1 year ago on my car said my mechanic.

my friend saw me leaking a little bit on the straight line and caused me to spin while i was entering a right corner. Was lucky to be able to save it. When in the grass then back in the middle on the track.

Unfortunatly, my coolant caused an accident.

Car is a 2004 GT3 with +- 65000km

Old 10-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What the hell could cause a crack like that!! I don't think there is that much pressure in the line from what I understand. Is this typical of hose failure ? Was the hose twisted when clamped and failed?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
What the hell could cause a crack like that!! I don't think there is that much pressure in the line from what I understand. Is this typical of hose failure ? Was the hose twisted when clamped and failed?
i have no clue at all.

its a big failure

hose seems at his place
Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Coolant pressure is remarkably low (something like 20-40 psi.) That hose must have been damaged to cause such a large split. Perhaps it was simply not the correct (pre-formed) hose for the connection. A typical burst failure is a very small opening or may even stay closed once it has released the coolant.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

if you sift through the various threads there are several reported cases of the hoses rupturing exactly like Seb's did with a big split down the length of the hose.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...hose-blew.html

I can see old hoses getting weak I mean the 996 cars are 8 years old now, but it's odd to see this failure on a relatively new hose. Maybe these primary hoses are something we need to start replacing every couple years as preventative maintenance as well.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

My first thought was it was something Canadian ! Thanks for the older link. It does look like the same type of failure. Still very surprised it could split that dramatically with such low pressure.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:25 PM
DLJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So no one is reporting any engine coolant coupling failures on 2010-2011 3.2's, just the two posts re front rad couplings? ( and no further details about why/how they failed ie. coupling joint or hose split or ?) I'm still not clear on whether there was a change to the fittings on 3.2 non- RS models in 2010 or 2011. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Perhaps they just have their CL's come off at inopportune moments but retain their fluids...(unlike the surprised driver)

Last edited by DLJ; 10-24-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:32 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 377 Posts

LMAO re CL's. I'm assuming you mean 3.8's though?

Have not heard of any others although I believe Alex and Sharkwerks alluded to having to fix a couple. Not sure if they were necessarily members here though.

My engine is coming out next month at which time I will have mine inspected and likely welded. Will report back on condition. Car is a '10 with 14K (soon to be 15K after this weekend).

Quick Reply: Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry