Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

HPDE / track insurance

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 06:04 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,686 Likes on 2,336 Posts

getting harder to find insurance now. soon i will be tooling a civic on track.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Buy a car u can afford to write off or figure the cost to fix

Street car insurance for the most part doesn't work at the track
Old 05-11-2013, 01:27 AM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

and... do not think nothing will ever break and cause issues.

If the car breaks, it is likely you will be covering it unless you have track insurance. My GT3 is finally up and running again after the CL failure, new engine and all (I self insure it can guarantee it has not been cheap). Fixing ones street or race car may not be cheap, either get track insurance or figure in what you can afford to fix.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:32 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Izzone

Originally Posted by gstahl
and... do not think nothing will ever break and cause issues.

If the car breaks, it is likely you will be covering it unless you have track insurance. My GT3 is finally up and running again after the CL failure, new engine and all (I self insure it can guarantee it has not been cheap). Fixing ones street or race car may not be cheap, either get track insurance or figure in what you can afford to fix.
i've always self insured and have totaled... hum 3 cars.
i echo gstahl, it aint cheap.
and dont be surprised i show up at BW with a civic with a porsche badge..
if you dont think you will hit something.... you are WRONG. you WILL i guarantee it, no matter how slow you think you are. the wall WILL get you.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:33 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

geoff you going to BW in two weeks?
Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I have umbrella, but that only adds to regular insurance, does nothing for track use.

Yes, probably atypical but I did help formulate the business plan originally at the http://www.siebkens.com bar near Road America. The farmer bought us a few bottles worth of Dewars, so I don't remember the details. Good times that are missed sorely.

Let my insurance lapse after 48hours while the 4.0 will be as miserable and cranky as me until at least 5 more months when we can hit the track again. I'll get insurance and full clear bra wrap as soon as I book an event. I've never gone more than 8 weeks without track event since 2003, I wonder how it will be the first day? Better take it easy.

Weird to not see the pallets of RA1 inventory diminish..

Stockton and PCA insurance only goes to 100K-125K when I checked 6 months ago, with GT3's and RS checking in next year at 140K and 175K I think we found another reason they will be a rare breed on track.
You are correct, the website does list an agreed value cap. Don't remember exactly what it is but somewhere in that neighborhood.

With that being said, the rep for the track insurance is accessible by phone. Nice guy. I'm sure an agreement could be struct but "ain't gonna be cheap".

Originally Posted by mdrums
Well my State Farm policy now officially will not cover me on the track. It has been a great ride until now.

Do you know any other company's beside Lockton that provide track insurance. I got a quote for my wanna be aero beetle and about fell over.

Maybe I can just buy $50k in insurance incase I smack a guard rail and not total the car. Have you thought about partial insurance?
There are several that write. All are in the same price range, give or take a few bucks. I went with Lockton because they seem to have a good rating and their reputation is that they pay without any drama. What good is insurance if they don't pay?

The polices are all agreed value with a preset deductible. Usually 10 or 15%. So you pick the payout and the deductible. They have an online calculator so you can monkey with the numbers to see how it affects the payment.

So if you do an agv of $80k with a 10% deductible and you have a $20k oops moment, you should be looking at eating $8k and getting a check for $12k.

Personally I don't see the point unless you're going to cover the whole thing. If it's something small I'm going to pay for it myself. I have the insurance for (knock on wood it never happens) the potential of putting the car into the wall resulting in a total loss.

I'm not going to take money out of savings to go get another car, so if it's a total loss and I'm not covered, I'm out of the hobby.

Insurance is expensive but there's a certain sense of peace of mind having it.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Well my State Farm policy now officially will not cover me on the track. It has been a great ride until now.

Do you know any other company's beside Lockton that provide track insurance. I got a quote for my wanna be aero beetle and about fell over.

Maybe I can just buy $50k in insurance incase I smack a guard rail and not total the car. Have you thought about partial insurance?
You will be shocked how quick you can eat up $50k

Go look and see how much airbags alone cost

996 and 997 are pretty fragile off track
Old 05-11-2013, 12:42 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone

I would like to do that. You know my physical situation....what automatic that I can paddle shift is cheap?...under $15k that would still be somewhat fun?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:51 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

I would like to do that. You know my physical situation....what automatic that I can paddle shift is cheap?...under $15k that would still be somewhat fun?
Not under $15k, but a smg m3 isn't too far off. Say you could buy a decent one for $18k and prep it for another $10k or so.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by kk2
Not under $15k, but a smg m3 isn't too far off. Say you could buy a decent one for $18k and prep it for another $10k or so.
Would that be a DSG transmission car?
Old 05-11-2013, 03:40 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Would that be a DSG transmission car?
Stands for "sequential manual gearbox" rather than "direct shift gearbox," but yes, it is an automated manual.

I believe it is a single clutch rather than a dual.

There are plenty of ex e46 m3 owners around here that would be happy to help you spec one out. The key would be finding a mid mile (60-80k) 2001 with smg and no sunroof. They're probably pretty rare, but it would be the best base.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:27 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

He's pretty tall. Lurch might need the sunroof open so he will fit
Old 05-15-2013, 11:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by deputydog95
He's pretty tall. Lurch might need the sunroof open so he will fit
You rang?
Old 05-16-2013, 02:24 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

From '07 on, the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR was available with a dual-clutch auto.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:32 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my nightmares with smg on e46 m3. Constant smg pump failure. Car doesn't start... Won't change gear... Stalls.. Another of bs...

I thought of building a stripper e46 m3 with 6 speed, custom full cage, reinforce subframe, moton/jrz/kw club coils,

For now.. I'll experiment with my 997.2 gt3 for one more yr as it is crap load of fun.

Quick Reply: HPDE / track insurance