Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

HPDE / track insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Izzone...I think a great deal people would love that, but I am unaware of any policy like that in existance. Believe me, if I could find it, I would be selling it with no problems.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:10 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

So, after reading through this thread, my interpretation is that most people's auto policy is "questionable" at best with regard to coverage of DE's, so, I got that.

My questions are:
1. Is Lockton the only one out there offering DE coverage? If not, who else?
2. I recently went to the Lockton site and started going through the process of setting up a mult-event policy, UNTIL, I started doing a little research. I will attend a "multi-event" DE at Sebring in April over the SAME weekend. One day with Chin, one day with SafeMotorsports. The problem that I have is if it was a two day event offered by Chin, I pay 1X for coverage. Since the event is offered by two separate groups, Lockton wants to charge 2X. Seems strange given the risk over the 2 days is the same.

Any comments are welcome as I have to say I thoroughly confused/frustrated at this point.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:43 PM
gottagofast13
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
So, after reading through this thread, my interpretation is that most people's auto policy is "questionable" at best with regard to coverage of DE's, so, I got that.

My questions are:
2. I recently went to the Lockton site and started going through the process of setting up a mult-event policy, UNTIL, I started doing a little research. I will attend a "multi-event" DE at Sebring in April over the SAME weekend. One day with Chin, one day with SafeMotorsports. The problem that I have is if it was a two day event offered by Chin, I pay 1X for coverage. Since the event is offered by two separate groups, Lockton wants to charge 2X. Seems strange given the risk over the 2 days is the same.

Any comments are welcome as I have to say I thoroughly confused/frustrated at this point.
This is Ryan from Lockton. To answer your questions:
1. As far as I know we are the only solution for on-track coverage.
2. If you (or anyone) run across back-to-back single-day events at the same track we can typically combine them. In fact, if you find a 1-day and a 2-day event back-to-back, we can combine those events as a single event. If you go back to the HPDE Insurance Program website you will see a combined Chin/SAFE Motorsports event at Sebring in April (I just added it). If you run into anything like this in the future, give us a quick call at 866-582-4957 and we'll get it taken care of for you.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:46 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I have heard the same thing

the only way to be sure is get the policy in writing and see how it is worded
Exactly. I've been told on 3 seperate occasions that I am absolutely covered, my agent told me he knows all about PCA DE's and not to worry. I can't get it in writing though, so where do i really stand. Had a friend tell me to send them an e-mail to get their confirmation in writing. Am I covered....yes and maybe no.........
Old 03-15-2011, 06:50 PM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by gottagofast13

My questions are:

2. If you (or anyone) run across back-to-back single-day events at the same track we can typically combine them. In fact, if you find a 1-day and a 2-day event back-to-back, we can combine those events as a single event. If you go back to the HPDE Insurance Program website you will see a combined Chin/SAFE Motorsports event at Sebring in April (I just added it). If you run into anything like this in the future, give us a quick call at 866-582-4957 and we'll get it taken care of for you.
Thanks, you made my day, Ryan! FYI, there's a similar occurrence in June at Road Atlanta. There's a Sat/Sun PCA event followed by a Mon Chin event.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:51 PM
gottagofast13
Advanced

Originally Posted by KBS911
Exactly. I've been told on 3 seperate occasions that I am absolutely covered, my agent told me he knows all about PCA DE's and not to worry. I can't get it in writing though, so where do i really stand. Had a friend tell me to send them an e-mail to get their confirmation in writing. Am I covered....yes and maybe no.........
Your policy will have some sort of racing, competition, or timed event exclusion. There is a chance that you have one of the few policies out there that doesn't have a broad exclusion that eliminates coverage for almost anything that happens at a racetrack.

To be sure, ask your agent to send you the exclusions section of your policy. Have him/her highlight the section that eliminates racing and accompany that with an explanation of why your policy won't exclude on-track physical damage. Even better would be to get a similar letter from a claim representative that works for your insurer.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's great news. I was debating a couple of these back-to-back events and not wiling to pay twice for the same weekend.

You might consider advertising at www.motorsportreg.com and indicating covered events, etc.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:05 PM
gottagofast13
Advanced

Thanks, you made my day, Ryan! FYI, there's a similar occurrence in June at Road Atlanta. There's a Sat/Sun PCA event followed by a Mon Chin event.
Thanks for informing of that one. I just added it to the website.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 PM
gottagofast13
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
That's great news. I was debating a couple of these back-to-back events and not wiling to pay twice for the same weekend.

You might consider advertising at www.motorsportreg.com and indicating covered events, etc.
We do have a relationship with MotorsportReg. When you click on an event it takes you to the event information page. All of our approved events should have a HPDE Insurance Program blurb that shows on the right column of the event information page.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:22 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Your policy will have some sort of racing, competition, or timed event exclusion. There is a chance that you have one of the few policies out there that doesn't have a broad exclusion that eliminates coverage for almost anything that happens at a racetrack.

To be sure, ask your agent to send you the exclusions section of your policy. Have him/her highlight the section that eliminates racing and accompany that with an explanation of why your policy won't exclude on-track physical damage. Even better would be to get a similar letter from a claim representative that works for your insurer.
Ryan, first of all thanks for stepping forward and providing this opportunity for insurance. My only advice would be to step down your multiple coverage a notch. I'm probably lucky if I can make 4 events, one per quarter a year. Any thought to establishing a lower threshold for a minimum?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:32 PM
gottagofast13
Advanced

Originally Posted by KBS911
Ryan, first of all thanks for stepping forward and providing this opportunity for insurance. My only advice would be to step down your multiple coverage a notch. I'm probably lucky if I can make 4 events, one per quarter a year. Any thought to establishing a lower threshold for a minimum?
First, thanks for the feedback. As a track junkie myself, I try to look at the varying degrees of participation and individual circumstances to provide the best overall solution for our community. That said, I recognize that we don't always have the ideal solution for everyone.

As it stands now, the multi-event policies (4 options: 6, 9, 12, and 15 event policies) are great for the guys/gals that are very active in the hobby. Our single-event policies are the best option for anyone that participates in 5 events or less each year. I don't expect that we will be offering any smaller packages for the multi-event policies soon, but I do think the single-event policies would be a good fit for your situation.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, thanks for the feedback. As a track junkie myself, I try to look at the varying degrees of participation and individual circumstances to provide the best overall solution for our community. That said, I recognize that we don't always have the ideal solution for everyone.

As it stands now, the multi-event policies (4 options: 6, 9, 12, and 15 event policies) are great for the guys/gals that are very active in the hobby. Our single-event policies are the best option for anyone that participates in 5 events or less each year. I don't expect that we will be offering any smaller packages for the multi-event policies soon, but I do think the single-event policies would be a good fit for your situation.
Hey do you insure pure race-cars like a radical? or just street cars?

Second question, do you cover member days at Spring Mountain?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:15 AM
gottagofast13
Advanced

Originally Posted by va122
Hey do you insure pure race-cars like a radical? or just street cars?

Second question, do you cover member days at Spring Mountain?
We can insure pure race-cars and other non-street legal cars.

As long as the Spring Mountain member days are structured similar to a typical DE event (instructors for newbies, passing rules, corner workers, etc) it shouldn't be a problem. If you would like to get coverage for those events, please call Fred at 866-582-4957. He will get some basic info from you and then reach out to the Spring Mountain to confirm that they meet our requirements.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:03 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks I'll reach out to him.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 PM
Fooshe
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok guys and gals....here is the latest breaking news on HPDE Insurance.

WSIB Insurance has discontinued it's program!!! That's right sports fans, they are NOT offering HPDE coverage any longer. A source within WSIB confided that they have now gone through 2 programs and they have still not got it right.

The only two sources I have found are Lockton/affinity and www.ontrackins.com, but I have always sent all my people to Lockton/affinity in an effort to support Ryan's efforts and I am a loyalist on insurance issues.

Quick Reply: HPDE / track insurance