Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

HPDE / track insurance

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:34 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Deputydog, well it's time to re-evaulate this again....I'll go back to my SF agnet and talk with underwritting again. Thanks for the head up on this.

What company are you and the GT3 DE Cup guys useing?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

By invitation only ;-) I think you would be an excellent candidate..
Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
By invitation only ;-) I think you would be an excellent candidate..
Thanks...can you PM me the initiation proceedure?...which I'm sure includes beer...but afraid of what else it entails. LOL
Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, just sent the application to your email.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:39 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Deputydog, well it's time to re-evaulate this again....I'll go back to my SF agnet and talk with underwritting again. Thanks for the head up on this.

What company are you and the GT3 DE Cup guys useing?
If they will put it in writing that they are cool with triple digit speeds, on a track, no instructor, with 50 other cars, then you're good and the luckiest guy around!

This other program Peter, Eddie and I are referring to is very good. I know I'm sleeping better with the coverage. However, everyone with this same company needs to put at least 10 car lengths in between each other to be on the safe side
Old 02-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Mike, just sent the application to your email.
Could you please PM the info too? Thanks!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:24 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

PM sent
Old 02-17-2012, 02:15 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Good luck with that. One of my former employees now works for state farm. She got a hold of underwriting for me. No way in hell they are going to pay out on this.
My wife happens to be in, lets say, a very high upper management position at SF...and handles all Special Investigations in FL, which includes policy interpretation/intent issues on things like this...according to her...DeputyDog is right...
Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jmachul
Further to DD's comments, which are correct BTW (Been on company side of auto insurance for 20 yrs) for us it is an ethical issue, not a can I get away with this one. Under no circumstances are these carriers factoring in us putting/turning on helmet, timing device, 5 pt belts and sticky tires into the pricing for a road use coverage with $xxx, 000 of liability attached to the policy. Exclusion(s) are after action documentations, whereby the company is saying "You cant f*ck us again with this"

As an example, here is an expert from Chubb's Auto Policy.....very similar to Progressive, Geico, etc.....
Progressive has similar language as Chubb except that Progressive did not say "anything on a racetrack" like Chubb.

From Progressive Policy:
11. Loss to “your covered auto” or any “non-owned auto”, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:
a. Competing in; or
b. Practicing or preparing for; any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:52 PM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

...and be carefull with those "laps for charity".
Incidents don't usually occur but they can, and if your car even if its not your track car is involved ,it probably would not be covered.

Gotta be carefull with the words used by insurance carriers. "in", "at" and "on" all have diffrent meanings but I've seen them used interchangeably throughout various policies in refering to racetracks.

You can almost begin to wonder if you attend a race as a spectator and are parked on the grounds of a race track are you still covered even in your "grocery getter".
I once challenged an underwriting dept regarding this very situation and their response was "thats not our intent".
Irregardless of the intent , tell that to the judge or jury when it comes time to defend yourself .
You can hear it now ,"But judge, they said that wasn't their intent".
Old 02-17-2012, 08:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I have liberty mutual.
A friend of mine got paid after hitting the wall at Daytona.
But; he was a lm customer forever. I think he got lucky, had a pbocflorida official fix his car and submit the claim. Still he will pay more for is policy.

I pay very little after no accidents for 20 years and no tickets. I don't mind paying for track insurance to keep it that way.

Our track insurance guy is very picky and discriminating but I was lucky to get insurance for unlimited events annually for a low rate. I call it the"don't end my hobby insurance".

Actually I helped writing the business plan LOL.

I think when you file a claim and get paid for yournregularbcar insurance rate increase you might be cheaper off with track insurance. I've had since 2008 and I could have afford some repairs for the money I paid int.o track insurance, but then again, it's good for a second a lap. Mods might cost more than that LOL.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:40 PM
jmachul
Advanced

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Progressive has similar language as Chubb except that Progressive did not say "anything on a racetrack" like Chubb.

From Progressive Policy:
11. Loss to “your covered auto” or any “non-owned auto”, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:
a. Competing in; or
b. Practicing or preparing for; any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest.
That is not what their policy says in Florida, it is almost verbatim to Chubb's. Each company will have different language in every state. Changes to the language and the timing thereof to change these things, depend on the regulatory environment of that state. Without chasing our tails, Progressive's language could have 50 different versions, one in each state.

In fact, we just had a friend get denied a DE claim with Progressive here in FL.

None of this technical bs changes the fact that making a claim for something that isn't excluded, but never contemplated in the risk assessment (further to DD comments) is the reason most of us pay more than we should for our street insurance. Filing a claim for a DE incident at Sebring in Super Solo is no different than claiming a soft tissue injury after a supermarket parking lot accident.

After the agent asked "how many miles do you drive to/from work" did he/she ask what cone you brake at in T17?

Come on......
Old 02-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Rceron
Racer

I pm'd for an application. No response. Any trick to the invitation...special circumstances? Thanks in advance. Could use it for the up coming David Murry event at VIR.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Some people are uninsurable due to lack of track incident history
Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by Rceron
I pm'd for an application. No response. Any trick to the invitation...special circumstances? Thanks in advance. Could use it for the up coming David Murry event at VIR.
Sorry,

my mistake I missed your PM, but just sent an email with the application form.

I apologize.

Quick Reply: HPDE / track insurance