Short shift kit for 7 GT3/RS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:02 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Short shift kit for 7 GT3/RS?

OK, just did an extensive search and could not find any specific feedback on short shift linkage modification and impression for 997 GT3/RS. There were alot of post on the subject on other 911. I am looking at either B&M vs Schnell. So far all the reviews favor B&M since they make the Porsche OEM short shift kit

Anyone out there gone this route with their 7 GT3/RS? Impression?

B&M

Schnell

Old 02-05-2010, 01:33 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Doesn't the RS have a short shifter from the factory??? any shorter and it would be a sequential.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Doug23
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the B&M - makes the shifting very notchy and deliberate.

You may want to take a look at changing your shifter mechanism to the 996 Cup and using the 996 Cup Shifter cables. I did this on my (previous car) 997 GT3 MK1 and it made a big improvement over the stock shifter. Shorter throws and more direct action/feedback.

It should be a straight bolt on and it also eliminates the plastic bushings where they connect to the transmission which wear out quickly with track use.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

The feel of a B&M shifter on a GT3 is akin to a bolt action rifle. The shift action was very short and very notchy. I ended up going back to stock as it really took the joy out of shifting. This was in a 6-GT3, but I imagine it would be the same in the 7-GT3 models too.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:10 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

First, the Porsche sport shiftter is the same as the B&M. B&M actually makes it for Porsche. The Porsche version is annodized black while the B&M version is annodized blue. The Porsche installs and sells the sport shifter with the same plastic bushings that come with the regular shifters, while B&M uses adjustable tension teflon lined aluminum bushings. Porsche specifies that the GT3 comes with a short throw shifter and should hence already have the same as the B&M.

Having a B&M in my Carrera and the stock short throw in my new GT3. I can attest that both have about the same throws. The B&M in the Carrera has a softer feel than the GT3 which is stiffer and notchier. Which is better? Well I like the B&M shifter in the Carrera better. It is lighter and smoother. I believe the real diference is actually the transmission in each and not the shifter or linkage. I am hoping the shifter in the GT3 improves with mileage.

There is another option to go shorter. B&M and Ruf make a short shift kit that attaches to the transmission. It changes thes pivot for the cable, shortening shifts. That would probably be the best option in this case.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 10-19-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:51 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

If B&m made a shifter with no reduction on the GT3 I would get it. I loved the B&M on my old 996 which probably reduced the throw as short as the GT3. Given that I would not put ne shorter on the GT3- way too short and notchy. B&M felt so well gated on old 996- very easy to discern which gear goes into. Stock gt3 feels like shifter is flexing- very sloppy. I hate that feel. Mike
Old 02-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Different cars... different trannies.... different feels. The GT cars are shortened up at the tranny end while the B&M shortens things up at the shifter. The combo together makes for a very short and notchy shift. Some may like it while others won't.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:27 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

so ... 7 GT3 has the B&M short shifter installed from factory?

How about the shifter linkage? Does 7 GT3/RS still use the pastic linkage shown below?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

strange.
i had oem 6gt3 shifter, bk shifter on c2, 7gt3 shifter. the BEST for ME was stock 996gt3. easy to row.
all the others i have to be more conscious of what i am doing.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:27 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikymu
so ... 7 GT3 has the B&M short shifter installed from factory?

How about the shifter linkage? Does 7 GT3/RS still use the pastic linkage shown below?

These absolutely suck! I installed one in my 996 when I first got my B&M shifter. The first problem is the ball cup is too tight. It causes the shifter to bind. After putting it in, the shifter felt very notchy and stiff. The way it mounts in is using 3 set screws that you tighten to detent the threads on the end of the cable. Despite tightening the set screws tight enough they completely dented in holes in the threads, 3 times it slid off the cable. I switched back to the stock shift linkage and could not believe how light and smooth the shifter is by comparison. This part is absolutely junk and a complete waste of money.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:53 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
There is another option to go shorter. B&M and Ruf make a short shift kit that attaches to the transmission. It changes thes pivot for the cable, shortening shifts. That would probably be the best option in this case.
Very interesting. I may give it a try. I am still curious to know if 7 GT3 already have the B&M short shift linkage.

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
These absolutely suck! I installed one in my 996 when I first got my B&M shifter. The first problem is the ball cup is too tight. It causes the shifter to bind. After putting it in, the shifter felt very notchy and stiff. The way it mounts in is using 3 set screws that you tighten to detent the threads on the end of the cable. Despite tightening the set screws tight enough they completely dented in holes in the threads, 3 times it slid off the cable. I switched back to the stock shift linkage and could not believe how light and smooth the shifter is by comparison. This part is absolutely junk and a complete waste of money.
Oh man ... thanks for the feedback. I will avoid it like a plague
Old 02-07-2010, 12:54 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
strange.
i had oem 6gt3 shifter, bk shifter on c2, 7gt3 shifter. the BEST for ME was stock 996gt3. easy to row.
all the others i have to be more conscious of what i am doing.
John, did you have OEM 7 GT3 shifter or did you fit the BK in your 7 GT3?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:12 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mikymu,
use PMNA shift cables, the problem on the orig. cables is the plastic joints and the cable stiffness. Try your factory shifter with PMNA cables first, you will love it. As far as I am aware B&M does not make the FACTORY shift kit for porsche.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
John, did you have OEM 7 GT3 shifter or did you fit the BK in your 7 GT3?
BK shifter was on my boxster and my 996c2
Old 02-07-2010, 01:49 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bernie930
Mikymu,
use PMNA shift cables, the problem on the orig. cables is the plastic joints and the cable stiffness. Try your factory shifter with PMNA cables first, you will love it. As far as I am aware B&M does not make the FACTORY shift kit for porsche.
Cool, thanks for the advice. Will give the 6 Cup car cable a try. Does it come in a complete set or couple separate pieces?

Originally Posted by mooty
BK shifter was on my boxster and my 996c2
OK ... got it. Thanks John

Quick Reply: Short shift kit for 7 GT3/RS?