Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Short shift kit for 7 GT3/RS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:18 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will not down grade a product, but B&M is NOT a factory option. Mikymu, call someone in your area familiar with cup cars, and they should be able to set you up (around $1000.- installed), best $$$ spent.
BTW.
I have used B&M shifters with CUP cables with good results.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 279 Posts

I'm with 10 GT3 - stock 997.1 Gt3 was too stiff AND notchy. B&M on my Carrera S feels deliberate but not as clunky and stiff - I like it.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:57 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a pic of the factory short shift kit installed from an upgrade in a 997. Note the color of the shifter. It actually the same blue annodized part as comes in the B&M kit. I found out that there was an issue to meet production needs and B&M ended up shifting the blue retail ones to Porsche instead. Please note the plastic push-in bushings like the long throw shifters have. You can only get these bushings if you buy the complete shifter from Porsche. The current price for the OEM version is $430 at Suncoast.

I know 996 GT3s have the same regular shifers as the other 996's, hence they are fairly long; just not as vague with the Getrag transmission over the Carrera. Regular 997's got a different shifter that is about 15% shorter and took out a lot fo the vagueness from the 996. The sport shifter was still an option. Do the 07/08 GT3s have the same shifter as the 10's? As mentioned earlier, the shifter in my 10 feels as short as the B&M in my 996. It is very stiff, much stiffer than my 996, and snappy in the GT3 and I personally see no reason to change

Last edited by 10 GT3; 10-19-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:13 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Here is a pic of the factory short shift kit installed from an upgrade in a 997. Note the color of the shifter. It actually the same blue annodized part as comes in the B&M kit. I found out that there was an issue to meet production needs and B&M ended up shifting the blue retail ones to Porsche instead. Please note the plastic push-in bushings like the long throw shifters have. You can only get these bushings if you buy the complete shifter from Porsche. The current price for the OEM version is $430 at Suncoast.

I know 996 GT3s have the same regular shifers as the other 996's, hence they are fairly long; just not as vague with the Getrag transmission over the Carrera. Regular 997's got a different shifter that is about 15% shorter and took out a lot fo the vagueness from the 996. The sport shifter was still an option. Do the 07/08 GT3s have the same shifter as the 10's? As mentioned earlier, the shifter in my 10 feels as short as the B&M in my 996. It is very stiff, much stiffer than my 996, and snappy in the GT3 and I personally see no reason to change

Interesting. I think I am going ot try the 996 Cup shift cable. DOn't know if I need the 996 Cup shifter to complete the mod?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

^ no
997 shifter will work with 996 cup cables.
several ppl done it already.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
^ no
997 shifter will work with 996 cup cables.
several ppl done it already.
Thanks ... do you know if it's a direct hook up or do I need to mod the connection point?
Old 02-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a short shift kit then B & M is the one to get......the Schnell ia a piece of s..t and made in China. The only one I have installed had to be modified to make it work. The B & M kit is excellent in every way and I have installed dozens with no problem..very straight forward.

All that said the RS already has a shorter shift than stock and is accomplished at the transmission rather that the shifter itself.

Adding a short shift kit of any kind will make the RS shift very unpleasant and waaaay to close for accurate shifting at speed.

You may miss a shift whilst adjusting the Sat-Nav
Old 02-09-2010, 04:26 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Racerron
If you want a short shift kit then B & M is the one to get......the Schnell ia a piece of s..t and made in China. The only one I have installed had to be modified to make it work. The B & M kit is excellent in every way and I have installed dozens with no problem..very straight forward.

All that said the RS already has a shorter shift than stock and is accomplished at the transmission rather that the shifter itself.

Adding a short shift kit of any kind will make the RS shift very unpleasant and waaaay to close for accurate shifting at speed.

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for. I noticed my RS has a shorter shift already but I did not know if it was done at the shifter or tranny end
Old 02-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racerron

Is this the same for a GT3 non RS?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:04 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Thanks ... do you know if it's a direct hook up or do I need to mod the connection point?
What's the answer on this?
Old 04-02-2010, 02:03 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I don't have the answer. After changing to WEVO engine mount and relax my shift from 2nd to 3rd on the track my gears have not grind
Old 04-02-2010, 02:23 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Leave the shifter alone, the 997 GT3 shifter is already good, and they fixed the issues found in the 986/996 shifter (plenty of broken ones).

However, the cables, well that's a necessary change if you track the car, go with 2005 GT3 Cup car cables. I just got my cables replaced in the Coxster a few days ago.

Installing a short shift kit to a 997 GT3 requires to write a check for $10k and leave that deposit at your transmission repair shop.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:53 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

If anyone is looking for a new B&M SS kit I have one FS.
I sold my '04 GT3 before I could install.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:56 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Leave the shifter alone, the 997 GT3 shifter is already good, and they fixed the issues found in the 986/996 shifter (plenty of broken ones).

However, the cables, well that's a necessary change if you track the car, go with 2005 GT3 Cup car cables. I just got my cables replaced in the Coxster a few days ago.

Installing a short shift kit to a 997 GT3 requires to write a check for $10k and leave that deposit at your transmission repair shop.
what he said... that is my plan...
Old 04-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikymu

Direct fit with RSR cables which I had installed by Orbit. They still had a set of spare 2004 RSR cables laying around (last year before they went sequential). I presume regular cup would be the same. But they do transfer more noise and rattle into the cabin. My stock cables needed to be replaced, but otherwise i'm not sure if it is really worth it. I'm not very hard on my shifter while others that I know constantly pop their shifter and drive around with a soft noodle back to the pit

Quick Reply: Short shift kit for 7 GT3/RS?