Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Resonated over axle pipes (OAP) recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2024, 08:11 AM
Soulstream
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Resonated over axle pipes (OAP) recommendation?

Hi all,
I'm running a BGTS4.0 with a Cargraphic valve controller (VC) and really enjoyed that setup for about a year (exhaust is fully stock otherwise). I know some people complained about resonance/drone/boominess with VC at low RPMs, and actually I do hear a bit of resonance at that range, but it didn't bother me at all.
I recently added Flat-6 (non resonated) OAPs to the mix, since the exhaust note felt very muted to me (very constant tone, no burbles etc.)
I am extremely satisfied with the change in character, I finally hear some nice burbles and tones! (and it's not overly obnoxious). It also makes a nice pop sound while upshifting or downshifting (6 speed), It's exactly what I was looking for!

However - I'm a bit overwhelmed by the resonance/drone/boominess now, especially in lower RPMs
The resonance/drone/boominess is mostly solved by sticking with original PSE programming (disabling the VC) but it really sucks not to be able to hear the engine in lower RPMs + other annoyances with the original PSE

I was thinking about swapping to a resonated OAP (specifically Soul resonated) since I understood it eliminates those frequencies, especially in lower RPMs and also lowers the total volume increase a bit, which would be nice

My question is - does the Soul resonated OAP still retain the "character change" that comes with the non-resonated OAPs? (can hear burbles and pops more clearly, exhaust sounds less muted)
If the only change with the resonated OAP is a volume increase over stock, that would not be very interesting to me..

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-12-2024, 09:26 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 916 Likes on 366 Posts

The 4.0 does not burble and pop, so no, you won't hear either of those.
Old 07-12-2024, 09:31 AM
Soulstream
AutoX

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
The 4.0 does not burble and pop, so no, you won't hear either of those.
It does burble, just not as much as the 981. With the stock OAPs you can barely hear it since it's so muted. With the Flat 6 OAPs it's much more pronounced, that's what I mentioned in my post.

Basically my question was how much the resonated OAPs would dampen that (if they just dampen the "boomy" frequencies that would be best) vs. the non-resonated ones (which I have right now)
Old 07-12-2024, 10:04 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 473 Posts

Just invest in a complete system.
Most of the frequencies you dislike are created by the rear, and can become nearly in-perceivable with the right OAP/Back Box combo.
The following users liked this post:
subwoofer (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 10:15 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,698 Likes on 2,734 Posts

I would think that any resonated OAP would tame some of the burbles and pops, the question would be by how much.

I went from the OEM OAP to the open Akra OAP and the difference for hearing pops and gurgles was incredible, but it definitely unleashed the drone aspect as well.

You need some owners with the Soul resonated OAP to chime in, and maybe reach out to @Soul Performance I am sure they have some data and possibly even some video/audio.
Old 07-12-2024, 10:16 AM
Soulstream
AutoX

So you're saying that even with a resonated OAP it will still be very "boomy"?
I haven't gone the full route since I just wanted to get a bit more character out of the exhaust, without dropping 5-10k
Old 07-12-2024, 10:19 AM
Soulstream
AutoX

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I would think that any resonated OAP would tame some of the burbles and pops, the question would be by how much.

I went from the OEM OAP to the open Akra OAP and the difference for hearing pops and gurgles was incredible, but it definitely unleashed the drone aspect as well.

You need some owners with the Soul resonated OAP to chime in, and maybe reach out to @Soul Performance I am sure they have some data and possibly even some video/audio.
Yup I'm in the exact situation. Hearing these pops and gurgles is amazing now! Really happy with it, just not with the drone.. Indeed I'm wondering how much those would be subdued wih the resonated OAP, hoped someone that has them would chime in, but I'll also send something to Soul, thanks!
Old 07-12-2024, 10:22 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulstream
I haven't gone the full route since I just wanted to get a bit more character out of the exhaust, without dropping 5-10k
Only like 4K if you get roughly 1K back from resale of your OAP's

I had AKRA OAPs prior to my Kline. The OAP's alone made the car more alive, though the back-box was for me where the system failed to produce a preferred tone. Then enter a back box w/X-Pipe paired with resonated OAP's and the satisfaction was..... well, you gotta hear it to believe it!

I get the financial side of things. I too was slightly reluctant to throw money at the full system, but it was worth every penny.

Last edited by BoxKing; 07-12-2024 at 10:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
matt0520 (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,698 Likes on 2,734 Posts

If you were directing this question at me... ?

I'll give my response, firstly by the description "very boomy" are you referring to drone now? Also you added 'very' to the description? I would say the OEM OAP and resonated OAP tame the sound, it is the open OAP that make the big change in all of this.

And as @BoxKing pointed out the rear section plays a huge role in how the entire system sounds, if you are only going to do the OAP, for the most part you are only making the OEM system louder and uncorking a little of the pops and gurgles.
Old 07-12-2024, 11:21 AM
Soulstream
AutoX

Originally Posted by Westcoast
If you were directing this question at me... ?

I'll give my response, firstly by the description "very boomy" are you referring to drone now? Also you added 'very' to the description? I would say the OEM OAP and resonated OAP tame the sound, it is the open OAP that make the big change in all of this.

And as @BoxKing pointed out the rear section plays a huge role in how the entire system sounds, if you are only going to do the OAP, for the most part you are only making the OEM system louder and uncorking a little of the pops and gurgles.
Yeah I was... thanks
I was optimistically hoping that the resonated ones would have OEM-like drone but wouldn't attenuate the cool stuff out (pops and gurgles)
But if I understood your answer you're basically saying that, unless you're changing the rear box, drone + volume + pops and gurgles all come together, and the R-OAP is somewhere between OEM and OAP
Old 07-12-2024, 11:21 AM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts

Perhaps a good person to connect with would be @RoadrunnerGTS . He sold me his Soul resonated OAP's and ended up buying the full Kline SS system, so can comment on both I think?
I absolutely LOVE the sound of the Soul resonated OAP's...I wanted something 'more' than stock, but not loud, and it gave me what I was looking for for about $1000.
I'm not handy and don't have a lift, so if I went Kline would have to pay for an install, so a full Kline SS with install would be around $6k after selling the R-OAP's and while money is no object for many on this forum, for me it is and the delta on cost is just not worth it for me currently. (kid entering college soon)...I will eventually go with the Kline in the years ahead though (I think).
I do not notice significant pops and burbles around town driving fairly easy...
Old 07-12-2024, 11:23 AM
Soulstream
AutoX

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Only like 4K if you get roughly 1K back from resale of your OAP's

I had AKRA OAPs prior to my Kline. The OAP's alone made the car more alive, though the back-box was for me where the system failed to produce a preferred tone. Then enter a back box w/X-Pipe paired with resonated OAP's and the satisfaction was..... well, you gotta hear it to believe it!

I get the financial side of things. I too was slightly reluctant to throw money at the full system, but it was worth every penny.
I would consider it if I lived in the US, but I'm in the EU (by chance, my car is US-spec) which means parts would be much more expensive due to customs we have (like +80%) and a full exhaust change might fail the car's yearly inspection, regardless of emissions
Old 07-12-2024, 11:25 AM
Soulstream
AutoX

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
Perhaps a good person to connect with would be @RoadrunnerGTS . He sold me his Soul resonated OAP's and ended up buying the full Kline SS system, so can comment on both I think?
I absolutely LOVE the sound of the Soul resonated OAP's...I wanted something 'more' than stock, but not loud, and it gave me what I was looking for for about $1000.
I'm not handy and don't have a lift, so if I went Kline would have to pay for an install, so a full Kline SS with install would be around $6k after selling the R-OAP's and while money is no object for many on this forum, for me it is and the delta on cost is just not worth it for me currently. (kid entering college soon)...I will eventually go with the Kline in the years ahead though (I think).
I do not notice significant pops and burbles around town driving fairly easy...
Thanks! Will talk with him.
So with the R-OAP is it just a volume change? (like I mentioned, with non-resonated OAP I feel it also changes the exhaust's character in a really good way)
Old 07-12-2024, 12:34 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 916 Likes on 366 Posts

Yeah I have Flat6 OAPs and mine does not burble or pop (Nor do I want it to)

It does burble, just not as much as the 981. With the stock OAPs you can barely hear it since it's so muted. With the Flat 6 OAPs it's much more pronounced, that's what I mentioned in my post.

Basically my question was how much the resonated OAPs would dampen that (if they just dampen the "boomy" frequencies that would be best) vs. the non-resonated ones (which I have right now)
Old 07-12-2024, 12:46 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,343 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
Yeah I have Flat6 OAPs and mine does not burble or pop (Nor do I want it to)
I had the Flat6 OAP on my GT4 and while it definetly doesnt burble and pop like the old 981 does, i have to say there are more pops and burbles than stock. I think however it seems that its at the level where you don't even notice because when i say more, i literally mean i only hear a slight burble when i'm at low speeds and only if i stay in 1st gear and bring it up to 6k RPM and then let it fall. 1% over 0% is still more.

That being said. OP i think you need to get a full system to achieve what you are looking for. There are some other systems out there that arent as expensive, but i'll be honest, i think the 2 best systems i've heard thus far (via youtube) have been the Kline system and the Dundon system, the latter being massively expensive. What you could try to do if you wanted to stay in budget is to purchase a resonated OAP set and then change out your headers. This would keep the burbles while muting some of the drone. Or you could stick you old OEM OAP set back in and switch out just the headers. Basically its all about fighting sound restriction and right now with your current system the cats on your header is whats causing that low end drone and boom that you dont like.

Quick Reply: Resonated over axle pipes (OAP) recommendation?