Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

While in Germany...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This has got to be the GREATEST THREAD EVAR!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 04:28 PM
_rocket
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JuanCarpantier
the battery life is very short.
What? GT3 battery only has a short life?
Old 07-16-2009, 06:52 PM
JuanCarpantier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _rocket
What? GT3 battery only has a short life?
I guess you didn't read the entire post, I said that the GoPro camera has a short battery life.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:52 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

Fantastic post. Your perspectives, the photos and your car are just wonderful. At the end of the day you got us to feel a little bit some of the wonderful times you were having. It is great times like these in these great little cars that keep us coming back for more.

Quick Q, what passes did you take in Switzerland? Also, your photos of Eau Rouge showed the elevation change in a way which is lost on the screen in the Formula 1.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:02 PM
buttons123
Instructor

Originally Posted by 996FourEss
Fantastic post. Your perspectives, the photos and your car are just wonderful. At the end of the day you got us to feel a little bit some of the wonderful times you were having. It is great times like these in these great little cars that keep us coming back for more.

Quick Q, what passes did you take in Switzerland? Also, your photos of Eau Rouge showed the elevation change in a way which is lost on the screen in the Formula 1.
Hi,

Just did a big trip a couple of weeks ago. Good passes are:

Simplon pass Switzerland to Italy......spectacular

Fluellpass from Davos in to and towards the Stelvio Pass and then take the Umbrail pass. These are very, very good fun,

regards

Buttons
Old 07-18-2009, 09:52 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Here are a bunch of misc pics taken in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. It is a really cool town that was partially bombed during the war. If you go there in the evening you can take a night watchmans tour which is informative and funny. It lasts about an hour and is well worth the trip. There is also a lot of shopping to be done here. To take these pics I was up at the crack of dawn. Once 9am comes around the town is swarming with shoppers.

http://www.rothenburg.de/index.php?get=180

Name:  MNWS.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  _MG_7616.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  74.3 KB

Name:  _MG_7628.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  _MG_7631.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  72.7 KB

Name:  _MG_7638.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  79.6 KB

Name:  _MG_7655.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  _MG_7669.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  _MG_7676.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  _MG_7687.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  72.4 KB
Old 07-18-2009, 10:03 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

I saw this Lambo at Hockenheimring and forgot to post this. I did not see it out on the track, but was not there the whole day. Hope it was not just a garage queen!

Name:  _MG_7981.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  82.1 KB

Name:  _MG_7982.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  76.5 KB

Name:  _MG_7984.JPG
Views: 202
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  _MG_7985.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  63.4 KB

Name:  _MG_7986.JPG
Views: 226
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  _MG_7989.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  92.8 KB
Old 07-18-2009, 10:44 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Hey TDM/Mike,

Can you post your Manthey track alignment specs?

Cheers!
Doug N.

PS. My car should be here in Calgary next week!
Old 07-18-2009, 11:30 AM
_rocket
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front spoiler: Oh dear - is it that bad?

Old 07-18-2009, 12:56 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dougrhea@telusplanet.net
Hey TDM/Mike,

Can you post your Manthey track alignment specs?

Cheers!
Doug N.

PS. My car should be here in Calgary next week!

That is awesome about your car coming soon! I actually ended up not getting any settings done on the car at Manthey. They only did the oil change. They were not familiar with either Toyo or Hoosier camber requirements and were uneasy at setting it up. They were very by the book there and wanted specific info that I could not give them.

Originally Posted by _rocket
Front spoiler: Oh dear - is it that bad?

As commercials often say, "This is a dramatization." I would say the splitter was not easy to live with, but tolerable. This pic obviously shows the front in the bottom of a "gutter" per say, with the road and side of the road pitched at angles towards each other. As long as you keep your GT3 at the track where it belongs, you will be fine!
Old 07-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I saw this guy at Sharkwerks!!
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2009, 03:27 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someday soon we GOTTA hear HOW you had Sabine drive your GT3...........
Old 07-19-2009, 12:35 AM
YearOne
Racer

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
I think someone liked Sabine eh TDM! She even signed his car it is clearly his charm with the ladies that did it and the promise of driving a GT3 Mk2....
Old 07-19-2009, 03:06 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
... As commercials often say, "This is a dramatization." I would say the splitter was not easy to live with, but tolerable. This pic obviously shows the front in the bottom of a "gutter" per say, with the road and side of the road pitched at angles towards each other. As long as you keep your GT3 at the track where it belongs, you will be fine!
How's the car suspension comfort on regular roads (less than perfect surfaces)? and what about cobblestone streets?
Old 07-19-2009, 07:23 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 996FourEss

Hey, Many thanks for the compliments! I think it is great there was such a great response to the thread!

I actually did not make in into Switzerland. From what I understand it is beautiful, but I did not have enough time to see all of the Alps. I saw the Alps in Italy and Austria. I would say it is all beautiful and the differences in the beauty of the areas lie in the eye of the beholder. I will say that the most beautiful town setting I saw was in the town of Corvara, Italy. I woke up to seeing this in Corvara...

Name:  Corvara.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  67.5 KB

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com

Would you belive me if I told you I asked her Mother?

Originally Posted by YearOne
I think someone liked Sabine eh TDM! She even signed his car it is clearly his charm with the ladies that did it and the promise of driving a GT3 Mk2....

No Doubt Henry! She was a ton of fun to be with! I wish every track person could have her enthusiasm

Originally Posted by ADias
How's the car suspension comfort on regular roads (less than perfect surfaces)? and what about cobblestone streets?

Hmmmm... I would say it was comfortable on less than perfect surfaces. Obviously you would buy a regular Carrera if the car was going to see little if any track use, unless you need to be top dog on the road for some reason. I am pretty sure I read that the regular setting for the GT3 is like pushing the PASM button on a Carrera. Now when you push the PASM on the GT3 it sure does get stiff! I tried this several times and when the road gets crappy you will turn it off rather quickly.

Keep in mind that we drove the car for the first several days about 8 hours a day. Neither of us felt we had to get out of the car because it was not comfortable.

I will especially say that the Sport Bucket seats are absolutely phenomenal! Not only are they COMFORTABLE on the road, but with just a 3 point seatbelt I was quite stable in my seat on the track! I was absolutely amazed by the seats. It is cool that they fold forward as during the trip it is essential to use the rear space. When I get a cage this function will not be needed anymore. I have the 996 GT3 seats in my Boxster, but have the Brey Krause brackets to pitch the seat angle back for increased clearance in the cabin. For some reason I view the new seats as more comfortable and am not sure if it is the angle or something different.

I only had one experience with cobblestone streets. Ugggg! It feels like you are riding without rubber on the tires! Not much fun at all.

I wish I had experience driving a MKI GT3 so I could give you guys some more perspective on the MKII. I am coming from a 2002 Boxster S, so there is little reason to tell you guys how much improvement lies in this upgrade, LOL! I am just amazed at the performance in every capacity of my new GT3 and cannot wait to explore its possibilities.

I will say this, those who were in my car said that they can feel the slight improvement in power, and the car demonstrates improved handling.

Coming from a Boxster S I thought I would feel more of the engine in the rear of the car. I must say that I did not get any uneasy feeling of it being back there. I remember test driving a 996 several years ago and going around a curve thinking the engine was pulling the car out of the turn. I never felt uneasy about the GT3. I have driving experience with my 1989 911, but this is obviously a different animal. There is no doubt that the car does have different characteristics with the rear engine. I guess what I am trying to say here is that Porsche sure has done an excellent job of making the rear engine platform a viable option.

Quick Reply: While in Germany...