Old 07-19-2009, 07:32 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I snapped this shot on the way to Spa.

Name:  Shadow.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  68.6 KB

I will get to post more pics tomorrow of the Nordschleife and also have more museum pictures to post. I have also compiled a "to do list" or a checklist that I used for this trip. Someone was asking for that earlier. Once that is done I will get that up.

See you in the turns!

Mike

Old 07-19-2009, 07:46 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Just playing around a bit

Name:  Weeds.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  186.1 KB

Name:  Alps2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  132.6 KB
Old 07-19-2009, 10:11 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Man, this thread just keeps getting better and better. Beautiful camera shots, I especially like the one peeking over the wheat fields.

Any chance you could just stay over there and keep providing entertainment for us all? You should write a book on your adventure.

Excellent post.......simply excellent!
Old 07-19-2009, 10:56 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KBS911
Man, this thread just keeps getting better and better. Beautiful camera shots, I especially like the one peeking over the wheat fields.

Any chance you could just stay over there and keep providing entertainment for us all? You should write a book on your adventure.

Excellent post.......simply excellent!
LOL, how fat is your checkbook? At a total of 18 days I am tapped out of time and money for now. I am actually back home and am trying to continue to sift through the rest of the pictures. I still have to post the Weissach photos, have more of Manthey and have a ton of stuff from the Museum. I have about 1500 Photos to sift through.

I must say the most striking thing about being back home is driving at 75 mph. I was on the turnpike yesterday and was up to 85 and was wanting to go faster. This was totally unconscious. To back down to 75 felt so painful!

One thing I did miss very much while in Germany was a good eggs and potatoes breakfast! Yes Henry, potatoes for breakfast! Nothing like a good greasy breakfast from a Diner!

Now the hard part will be waiting for the car, and figuring out when I will be returning to the Ring next year. Perhaps a Rennlister party at the Ring next year! This is now what I check from time to time to think back upon all those glorious laps at the Nordschleife.

http://nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg

This web cam is the "pit out" and gate area to get onto the Nordschleife. Keep in mind Germany is 6 hours ahead of us, so make it an early morning thing to check. Public time during the week usually starts at 5:15 or so, so that is 11:15 EST. It is taken from the "X" in this picture.

Name:  PitOut.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  103.6 KB
Old 07-19-2009, 11:39 AM
green
Pro

Welcome back home TDM and thanks again for an epic thread!!!
Old 07-19-2009, 12:46 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by green
+1
Old 07-19-2009, 02:01 PM
green
Pro

Default bucket seats

TDM, are these GT2 seats similar to yours?

Thx
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2009, 02:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Suspension comfort

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney

Hmmmm... I would say it was comfortable on less than perfect surfaces. Obviously you would buy a regular Carrera if the car was going to see little if any track use, unless you need to be top dog on the road for some reason. I am pretty sure I read that the regular setting for the GT3 is like pushing the PASM button on a Carrera. Now when you push the PASM on the GT3 it sure does get stiff! I tried this several times and when the road gets crappy you will turn it off rather quickly.

Keep in mind that we drove the car for the first several days about 8 hours a day. Neither of us felt we had to get out of the car because it was not comfortable.

I will especially say that the Sport Bucket seats are absolutely phenomenal! Not only are they COMFORTABLE on the road, but with just a 3 point seatbelt I was quite stable in my seat on the track! I was absolutely amazed by the seats. It is cool that they fold forward as during the trip it is essential to use the rear space. When I get a cage this function will not be needed anymore. I have the 996 GT3 seats in my Boxster, but have the Brey Krause brackets to pitch the seat angle back for increased clearance in the cabin. For some reason I view the new seats as more comfortable and am not sure if it is the angle or something different.

I only had one experience with cobblestone streets. Ugggg! It feels like you are riding without rubber on the tires! Not much fun at all.
Great reply. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2009, 02:23 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2, see you soon at some event
Old 07-19-2009, 03:59 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome back TDM!

Now The Wait (part 2) begins again...
Old 07-19-2009, 07:09 PM
buttons123
Instructor

Default Euro Trip

Hi Mike,

Glad you got home in one piece. Enjoyed meeting you at Spa and The Ring.

Great reporting of the trip, don't know how you found the time! Hope you enjoyed Europe, if only a small but exciting part of it.

Thanks for letting me take you and your car around Spa a few times on the Monday late. It was definitely a little strange sitting on the "other" side and changing with the right hand in a track situation for us Brits.

Even though I was not used to a left HAND DRIVE, here are the main differences in the driving experience between MK1 and MK11.

1. Much lighter steering feeling and definitely not so much an effort through the corners, still great feel and VERY direct.

2. Much more torque available. Great pull at mid range and a much "beefier" feel to the engine.

3. Seats....... SUPERB.

4. Cabin very similar and the exterior..... well you've all seen it! Just again little differences but all for the better. It just looks more kind of smoother, updated.
The spoiler is actually pretty cool and you do get used to it very quickly, just a shame about the "3.8" stuff going on..... no need for it.

5. A much more sure footed, solid feel on the track (downforce?) again a big difference here. Felt wider?!!!!

6. Overall, ALTHOUGH I didn't kill it for obvious reasons, the MK11 GT3 IMHO,
is obviously a huge improvement in so many ways, it felt so much more complete and sorted.

Enjoy your car Mike, I'm sure you've worked very hard for it! Keep safe in it and I'll look you up when I'm in the US next. Great thread of the whole factory pick up and the fun you can have,

Best regards

Buttons123
Old 07-19-2009, 07:51 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by buttons123
Enjoy your car Mike, I'm sure you've worked very hard for it! Keep safe in it and I'll look you up when I'm in the US next. Great thread of the whole factory pick up and the fun you can have,

Best regards

Buttons123
Hey, answer me on this and I think I remember you commenting on the rear wing. Did it visually get in the way through the rear window more so than your MKI wing?

BTW, great meeting you also! Hope our paths run across at some point again!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-19-2009, 07:56 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

TDM, are these GT2 seats similar to yours?

Thx
Yes, same seats! Sure wish I was in it right now!

Originally Posted by iLLM3
+2, see you soon at some event
Originally Posted by PistolPete
Welcome back TDM!

Now The Wait (part 2) begins again...
Look forward to showing off the new wheels and sharing more stories when it comes to town to both of you guys!
Old 07-19-2009, 08:47 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

How long till you get it stateside? 30 days after you've returned to PAG?
Old 07-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by dougrhea@telusplanet.net
Hey TDM/Mike,

Can you post your Manthey track alignment specs?

Cheers!
Doug N.

PS. My car should be here in Calgary next week!
+1 if you have the alignment sheet from Manthey it would be awesome if
you could share it here ...

Quick Reply: While in Germany...