Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

While in Germany...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:54 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
So ... what are your bridge-to-gantry times like then?
Hmmm.... I will have to check that out on Sunday! The only problem with that is I must take out some time as due to the Grand Prix this weekend they have the straight before Hatzenbach blocked, so you go through the one laned section to the right, if you know what I mean.

What is a respectable B to G time?
Old 07-09-2009, 06:56 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, nice report!!

How did you get Sabine to give you private instruction? Just have to schedule her ahead of time? Or?!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Hmmm.... I will have to check that out on Sunday!
it's the only reason to spec the car with sport-chrono

The only problem with that is I must take out some time as due to the Grand Prix this weekend they have the straight before Hatzenbach blocked, so you go through the one laned section to the right, if you know what I mean.

What is a respectable B to G time?
I know what you mean, that's shame ... as to what a respectable time is,
well that's tough ...

best I managed while there in '07 was 8:00 (with a little traffic) in "a"
C2S (cab) around 8:30 ...

I recall one of our UK "titanic" brethern in an RS has clocked a 7:5x time there ... with all that extra downforce you
should easily spank that!

see http://bridgetogantry.com

Note that the difference between a B-to-G time and a full lap is the 1.7km dottinger hohe striaght from the gantry to the
bridge at antoniusbuche which accounts for around +20-25secs ...

thus a full lap (like Walter's) of around 7:42 would be a b-2g of 7:20 ... gulp

Enjoy!

Last edited by Larry Cable; 07-10-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: add info
Old 07-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
Wow, nice report!!

How did you get Sabine to give you private instruction? Just have to schedule her ahead of time? Or?!
He's a very handsome and charming man!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:10 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hit 191 mph today.
WOW 191 !!! But it may have been only 188...as the speedo may be optimistic..least my Gen1 is by 3....But it really does not matter at those speeds,
just takes a bit of time to punch a hole in the air to get there. Least while you get to feel the full effects of downforce!!

By the way, is the Panamera released in Europe yet? I also saw two in town pulling trailers, wondering what that was all about?!
Panamera is not released anywhere yet...Worldwide launch Sept 12
The US sales begin in OCT

US dealer principals are having a ride & drive right about now in France.

Then there is the Travel Club experience for those that want to be the First to drive towards the end of the July.

For ROW only (no US or Canada), the Panamera has a nifty "hideaway" trailer hitch which no doubt they are still testing.

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:12 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I am sure he is...

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
He's a very handsome and charming man!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:40 PM
NYPorscheChik
Intermediate

so i guesss you'll be selling your other track car now.. how much?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:06 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, how DID you get Sabine to drive your car - what process?

Nice writeup, I know from experience (930 engine build writeup 3 yrs ago on Pelican Parts) that something like this takes some serious time and effort to put together!

Way to go.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I love this thread!! Thanks for your time and effort.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:42 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Amazing stories so far and very cool with all the signatures on the hood! This thread is the first thing I check in the AM now for updates.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Michael - just got back from LCMT and going over your great story. You are living the dream! Congratulations for not taking "no" for an answer and making this happen.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:59 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Well, got up early this morning (remember I am 6 hours ahead of you guys, or more) searching for 194, but damp road surfaces got in my way. There is no way I am trying this unless the road is completely dry. What I was surprised at yesterday is when you are going 191 and let off the gas, it feels like someone is pulling on the rear of the car to slow it down.

I must say the car feels quite stable at the 191. Sure the slight bumps in the road are exagerated. However, the car does not feel soft by any means. It is well planted. I would be interested to do back to back runs witha MKI 997 GT3 to feel the difference.

I will try again later tonight or tomorrow morning. The Sat am might be better anyway for traffic, but the weather appears right now to be the deciding force.

Originally Posted by Blaine S
Michael - just got back from LCMT and going over your great story. You are living the dream! Congratulations for not taking "no" for an answer and making this happen.

Hey, sure did want to do the Calabogie/LCMT week with you, but could not pass this trip up! LOL Hope it was a lot of fun for you! Interested to hear what you thought of the track

Originally Posted by cfjan
Wow, nice report!!

I have some more time with Sabine this Sunday. Let me talk to her to see what she wants me to say. Kinda like when I was told that Euro Delivery was not available for the early 2010 GT3's, I ended up going through different channels for the arrangements. Kinda like when Mom says no and you ask Dad, I have been able to speak to the right people. I am sorry I cannot say more right now.

Originally Posted by MJones

Panamera is not released anywhere yet...Worldwide launch Sept 12
The US sales begin in OCT

For ROW only (no US or Canada), the Panamera has a nifty "hideaway" trailer hitch which no doubt they are still testing.
I thought that was the case. Well, there sure are enough of them being driven by Weissach Guys to test them. I suspect you are right about the trailers used to test the hitches. The trailers were about as low as the car and looked like it may have just had weight in it, but were covered with a tarp. That hitch is pretty slick, by the way. I'll bet you I saw at least 15 Panameras yesterday.

It was funny, I had no idea where this forbidden Weissach facility was. I just punched Weissach into my garmin nav and figured I would search around. I was quite confident the whole time I was heading in the right direction as I kept on passing Porsches coming towards me as they were leaving their facility. This must have happened for at least 5 miles. Eventually when you pass through town there is a sign that directs you towards Porsche. I must also say that the town of Weissach is really quite nice! Very cleand and old school in appearance. The Weissach guys mostly drive a Porsche, and 997s at that.

Here is a Panamera that was placed infront of the Museum yesterday. There was some kind of Concert in the evening inside the Museum, so I bet it is there to show it off.

Name:  PanameraS.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  68.9 KB

I also made it to Hockenheimring yesterday. That was a pretty neat story, but am going to catch up on some lost sleep for now and will post later,

-Mike
Old 07-10-2009, 06:08 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

So here is my Hockenheimring story. I decided to drive by to see if I could see the track. One never knows what to expect. So I get near the track with no idea of the layout, but decide to just drive as far as I can. Turns and this and that and I land right at a stop sign with a guy in a booth, outside the gate with no visibility of the track. Oh crap, this is it! Well, the guy just waves me on, major bonus!!! I am kinda inside the track area, but still no great view. I see this other guy wearing a yellow rain coat at a gate. Crap! So I pull up to him and he looks at the car in the front, then the side and finally the back. He starts talking to me in German. Then I do not know what I said but he then said, “numbers?” I pointed to my rear window where luck will have it I left my number on from the Nurburgring event several days ago. I pointed at it as though I was impatient and needed to go, saying it with an attitude. I figured if I made it seem like I was supposed to be here it would work better. I get the wave in and SCORE!

So when I get in I understand why this was so easy. There was a Porsche event that day. It kinda looked like a Porsche dealership, but I have no idea. There were mostly Porsches there, but a stream of Ferraris also. It looked like a DE event at home where they send out different run groups. Interestingly enough almost all the Ferraris went out together. Who knows what their setup was. In any event, I got a free pretzel out of the deal, got into the track to take some photos and even got in on the end of a parade lap behind a slow moving van. The track is pretty interesting, but no elevation change to mention.

Name:  _MG_7989.JPG
Views: 347
Size:  65.8 KBName:  _MG_7995.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  54.0 KB
Name:  _MG_7999.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  56.4 KBName:  _MG_8000.JPG
Views: 368
Size:  58.5 KB
Name:  _MG_8001.JPG
Views: 342
Size:  33.0 KBName:  _MG_8002.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  54.1 KB
Name:  IMG_2596.JPG
Views: 326
Size:  43.6 KBName:  IMG_2618.JPG
Views: 335
Size:  43.3 KB
Name:  IMG_2623.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  44.1 KBName:  IMG_2633.JPG
Views: 321
Size:  57.0 KB
Name:  IMG_2640.JPG
Views: 340
Size:  52.2 KB
Old 07-10-2009, 06:12 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Here is a pic taken near Weissach. I thought this came our fairly well, minus the nav in the window!

Name:  _MG_8292.JPG
Views: 340
Size:  92.1 KB

Off to the Black Forest for a couple of days. Hopefully will find some iternet down there to post more. I have a track day at the Nordschleife this Sunday with RMA and then Spa on Tuesday. I will probably be at Spa on Monday, but just to spectate as it is filled up on that day.

Hope all is well with everybody. Hope I have inspired some to make a trip over here in some capacity.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:32 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sneaking in on someone elses trackday - priceless

It is actually pretty easy when you show up in a white gt3 with numbers on it - ask me how I know

Your post has now made this trip a must for me - thank you

I'm toronto based currently but may be more NY shortly - hope to meet you at the glen one day

Paul

Quick Reply: While in Germany...