Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

While in Germany...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:27 PM
GuyR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the speedo over-read is a constant percentage.

On my Ruf'd 996GT2, at an indicated 206mph, GPS was 202mph, so a 3% error, whereas at lower speeds the error was more than 3% as that only gives 1mph error at 30mph, whereas the actual error was 2-3mph.

Also don't forget that tire wear alone can make up to 2% difference. On my GT2, the stock 315/30/18 has an overall diameter of 653mm with full 8mm tread-depth. If you drop down to a 2mm tread-depth, then overall diameter is 641mm, which is 98.16% of original leading to a 1.9% higher speedo-reading i.e. an extra 3.8mph at 200mph.

Guy

PS Great trip pics, I was thinking of going to the RMA day, but decided against due to the rain forecast, looks like it was great though! I did factory collection of my 997GT2, don't have the car now, but have good memories
Old 07-13-2009, 02:28 PM
YearOne
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche-Jeck
I also spotted buttons123 GT3 with the unique Martini waves at the parking lot –looks great in the flesh
That's my one with the stripes

Nice to meet you Mike glad you have been having so much fun and enjoy Spa tomorrow. I ended up running in convoy for a few hours with a GTR at silly speeds back to the train and now back in the UK after a great week playing cars in Europe. I'll put one of my laps up on youtube this evening if I can and a few photos too.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Porsche-Jeck
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YearOne
That's my one with the stripes
Ooops - confused by so many GT3s
Old 07-13-2009, 04:48 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche-Jeck
Me to …….now I’m feeling like a dumba…because I missed this thread. Would have been nice to also talk to you again, Harry.

Exactly around noon (right before the RMA track day commenced) the weather conditions turned from ugly to perfect.

I also spotted buttons123 GT3 with the unique Martini waves at the parking lot –looks great in the flesh

Mike I can assure you that the ‘Ring is the worst addiction ever – no chance to get rid of it, to the contrary you continuously have to increase the dose (I’m sure you know this already…).
Let me know if I can help with searching a nice house in the Eifel for you.

The biker sending sparks towards the following vehicles hadn’t had a WW- number plate by any chance ?
Hey, it was great to talk to you, and funny now that we had seen each other on Rennlist and end up meeting each other in the parking lot of the Nordschleife. How appropriate a location for two Porsche enthusiests to meet! I still cannot get over how many Rennlist people I met over here.

The Nordschleife Sunday event with RMA was a FANTASTIC day for me. I must say that I had a great day! The conditions were just perfect.

As far as the biker leaning over and sending sparks, I couldn't tell you anything more than I could not believe my eyes that sparks were flying. He could have had a pink helmet and I would not have noticed, LOL

By the way, the GT3 with the Martini Stripes was that of Buttons123. I am assuming you saw it at Nordschleife Sunday. YearOne was at Spa that day participating in the 25 hour race. They are very similar in some sense, but have done their stripes a little differently. However, anybody else who saw the Martini GT3 earlier that week saw that of YearOne.

As far as the addiciton, I am interested to see just how jaded the Ring will make me to tracks back home. The good thing is I know I have much to learn to drive this new car to its limits. I have often worried about what ro do to top a trip like this as a Porsche enthusiast. My answer to this is to learn to drive the nuts off my new car, or in this case the Center Lock! I am sure this will take quite some time.

In any event, great to meet you and hope we have a chance to talk again at the entrance to the Nordschleife! Many great memories made at the parking lot!
Old 07-13-2009, 04:53 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GuyR
Great trip pics, I was thinking of going to the RMA day, but decided against due to the rain forecast, looks like it was great though!
Would have been nice to see you there! The one thing I will always remember is the weather is just sooooo unpredeictable here. PERIOD You can go to bed and have seen a forecast that says 10% chance of rain tomorrow and you will see rain all day. This place is just crazy like that.

Originally Posted by YearOne
Nice to meet you Mike glad you have been having so much fun and enjoy Spa tomorrow. I ended up running in convoy for a few hours with a GTR at silly speeds back to the train and now back in the UK after a great week playing cars in Europe. I'll put one of my laps up on youtube this evening if I can and a few photos too.
Hey Henry, it was awesome spending time with you two guys! Also glad your team did so well at the 25 hours at Spa this past weekend! Also, congrats to you for being such a superb driver. It was truly great to see a GT3 in the hands of such an expert like yourself!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:03 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Default TeamDrugMoney Photos

As promised some photos of TDM's sweet ride not to hijack his thread with my photos but they are of his car! Photos are pretty much straight out of camera.

By the way TDM, don't worry as I'm sending the hi-res files to you while i also compile this photo montage here for Rennlist.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:18 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting pics....
Some with the tow hook in
Some without the tow hook.

What's up with that?
Trust there were no problems..
Old 07-13-2009, 05:19 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

LOL, hijack away!!

Nice shots!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:22 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJones
Interesting pics....
Some with the tow hook in
Some without the tow hook.

What's up with that?
Trust there were no problems..
RMA wants you to have it ready, and they are right about that! I got through the gate for most of the day without it, but at some point they asked me to put it in.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:26 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
LOL, hijack away!!

Nice shots!
Thanks!

MJones is right and good catch. What's up with your tow hook?
Old 07-13-2009, 05:29 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by GuyR
I don't think the speedo over-read is a constant percentage.

On my Ruf'd 996GT2, at an indicated 206mph, GPS was 202mph, so a 3% error, whereas at lower speeds the error was more than 3% as that only gives 1mph error at 30mph, whereas the actual error was 2-3mph.

Also don't forget that tire wear alone can make up to 2% difference. On my GT2, the stock 315/30/18 has an overall diameter of 653mm with full 8mm tread-depth. If you drop down to a 2mm tread-depth, then overall diameter is 641mm, which is 98.16% of original leading to a 1.9% higher speedo-reading i.e. an extra 3.8mph at 200mph.

Guy
All good points. I have done the GPS test on mine shortly after doing the high speed run (over a year ago) and I have also done it lately with both new and worn tires (several sets since then). I have been getting a consistant difference in speed that only grows as the speed increases. In the 70 mph range it is 4 to 5 mph and at 100 it is right at 7 mph (verified with both performance box and nav) and at 160 it was off by about 10 mph.

It doesn't matter anyway. I like 201 mph with more to go; that is awesome!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:35 PM
340Elise
Banned

At first glance the photo below looks like you have a Nun sitting next to you!

I'm sure a happy one at that!

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
As promised some photos of TDM's sweet ride not to hijack his thread with my photos but they are of his car! Photos are pretty much straight out of camera.

By the way TDM, don't worry as I'm sending the hi-res files to you while i also compile this photo montage here for Rennlist.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:45 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

What does Porsche advertise.....

Kill Bugs Faster!

Name:  KillBugsFaster.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  48.9 KB

Not bad for having the car in Europe for 13 days!

Name:  Speedo.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  54.0 KB

I have more pics to post, but must get to bed now. Will try to post tomorrow night.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:13 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Dayum tetzlafh those are nice shots! I'm gonna have to up my game if I'm going to be the offical TDM photographer on this side of the pond...

And TDM, you are the MAN for doing this! Can't wait to hear some stories in person.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Rish
6th Gear

TDM....it was nice to meet you and put a face to this thread! The RMA day was genuinely superb and I'm glad the weather held.

Rishie

Quick Reply: While in Germany...