Sponsored by:

991 vs 997?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 06:12 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Those headlights are the deal breaker for me......I have zero interest in the 991....truly zero! And to me it seems too big as well. I dislike the interior too.

Personally, I own my last Porsche so it really doesn't matter what direction Porsche decides to go but as a long time fan of the brand I'm very disappointed.

Tom
when people say this type of thing, where are they going to go? The 991 is closer to the 997 than any other car. Are you going to get an M4 that is even larger, less involved, front engined? I never understand this statement and not sure where people are going to go. I guess Lotus?

If size is the big issue, you wont consider a Cayman? I would think any 997 lover would really like the GT4?
Old 12-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Just my impressions

When I get in the 991 C4 after the 993 C2S it feels heavy. But then I get used to it. I turn the sport on and traction off. It seems to make a difference. I just drive the crap out of it and have a good time. And I love a heavy rain.

I do prefer the smaller size and the hydraulic steering of the 997. I haven't driven the R enough (260 mi) to really make any serious evaluation. But when I drive it there's always the R factor in the back of my head; the rarity, replacement (not), the value and associated nonsense. Maybe I'll get over it. I drive the C4 like a rental car with full insurance. Like a Porsche.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:17 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Default size matters?

981 Spyder. I love this car.

Originally Posted by rodH
when people say this type of thing, where are they going to go? The 991 is closer to the 997 than any other car. Are you going to get an M4 that is even larger, less involved, front engined? I never understand this statement and not sure where people are going to go. I guess Lotus?

If size is the big issue, you wont consider a Cayman? I would think any 997 lover would really like the GT4?
Old 12-16-2016, 06:32 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

If I have to convince myself that I like a car I generally just don't buy it. It seems with the 991 I have to really look around a lot of things that bother me whereas with the 997 for me it feels "just right."
Old 12-16-2016, 06:40 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Suitcase
When I get in the 991 C4 after the 993 C2S it feels heavy. But then I get used to it. I turn the sport on and traction off. It seems to make a difference. I just drive the crap out of it and have a good time. And I love a heavy rain.

I do prefer the smaller size and the hydraulic steering of the 997. I haven't driven the R enough (260 mi) to really make any serious evaluation. But when I drive it there's always the R factor in the back of my head; the rarity, replacement (not), the value and associated nonsense. Maybe I'll get over it. I drive the C4 like a rental car with full insurance. Like a Porsche.
sure hope you don't have to convince yourself that you like the R. Although that is fine if you don't. Some people really like a car that is smoother, easier to drive, more tech, etc. in fact, I would say most people do. It's why AMG sells cars. They can be fast, fun and have all the goodies. But for me, that's not what I am looking for.

Originally Posted by Para82
If I have to convince myself that I like a car I generally just don't buy it. It seems with the 991 I have to really look around a lot of things that bother me whereas with the 997 for me it feels "just right."
Feels just right to me too. But dang there is something about the R that looks so perfect and the GT3 is not hard on the eyes either.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:13 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Default R experience

I love the austerity of the R. I love the presence of the R. I love the "less is more of the R." I love the spryness of the car. It feels spry and light even in the passenger seat! The motor revs like it was being chased by a swarm of bees. But I'm also following AP's break-in instructions so other than a short drive in Germany earlier this year in a well broken-in car I can't really speak about the performance.

The '11 RS seemed street legal race car....think factory effort 2010 24 Hours Nurburgring. The R is canyon carving superbike. Immediate. Precise. Pure. It leaps forward. Think 500+ Hp modern 964 RS.

The problem is many enthusiast did not get the opportunity to buy this car. What I'm trying to say is you can have a really fun Porsche experience that is accessible to everyone for a lot less money than an R or RS.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:30 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
^^^ but but but my 997 is sooo much rawer and visceral and analogue!! oh and its 1" shorter!!
So much misinformation here. The difference between a 997.2 and a 991.2 is actually about 2" both length and width wise.

Guess what other marquee brand has "only" a 2" difference width wise? That's EXACTLY the difference between a BMW 3-series and a 5-series. Are people seriously saying you cannot tell the difference between a 5 series and a 3-series? Hey, maybe we're living in an age now where people are so fat, numb, so disconnected from their cars and the road that you can no longer tell the difference.

Nobody is arguing that the 991 is somehow the "worse" performing car. Everyone knows it is something like 7 seconds faster on the Nurburgring. That's a huge difference in performance. By all "objective" and "technical" measures, the 991 is clearly the superior car. It's got a more expensive interior (but still so much worse than the new Mercedes E-Class which costs half as much). It's got more technology everywhere to make the car handle better.

But let's not minimize how significant an extra 2" has on not only the exterior looks of the car, but how cavernous the car feels when you are inside driving alone. As mentioned elsewhere, the 991.2 is almost as wide as the BMW 5-series (.3" difference).

Last edited by caymannyc; 12-16-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:32 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, to balance things out, go ask the same question in the 991 Forum. I agree with those that find these threads tiresome. There has been an outbreak lately across many sub forums with these kinds of threads. Buy the car you like...not what we like.

For now we are still a free country, apparantly with a lot of fat people...
Old 12-16-2016, 07:33 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vern1
^^^ but but but my 997 is sooo much rawer and visceral and analogue!! oh and its 1" shorter!!

When the 991 came out, guess what car I got? The Cayman. My next P-car if any, will be the Boxster Spyder.

Interestingly, if you look at last 5 years 911 sales figures, they are FLAT over the past 4 years around 30,000 units worldwide, this despite the economic recovery and huge increase in sales for other marquee brands. Now why would this be?
Old 12-16-2016, 07:46 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

OK, so now I am confused. Most people that I hear talk about driving a "slow car fast" as being more fun than driving a "fast car slow", are referring to really light wt car that lacks refinement and wt, and have manual shifting, hydraulic steering, short wheelbase, etc, etc... In other words, a car that many refer to as being extremely "analog" (the new buzz word) or require more driving engagement, gives more road "feel" and feedback and is more "visceral" (Did I use all the words?). This to many refers to cars like the Miata, BRZ, S2000, 964, 993, E30 M3, etc.....

The confusing part to me is that you are relating it to a modern car (991 base vs a 997) that has more driver isolation, electric steering, larger, longer wheelbase, larger wheel diameter, which all add to the car being much "smoother" and much more refined.

In my opinion, you can't have it both ways, you can't call a car that is based on a platform that can handle 500HP and is also more refined and say it is "more fun to drive" slow. To me this doesn't work and is out of line with the logic of this discussion.
For this car enthusiast, you hit the nail on the head. If performance on the track was all that mattered, there are a ton of cars I would rather buy than a basic 911 or even in the S iteration. The 911 S is slow and weak compared to a GTR or Corvette. But hey, some people don't care as long as it's a 911 and that it's the "newest" thing. They read the brochure and since Porsche tells them it's better than every in every way, that's what they believe, and frankly, I agree that the newer 911s are truly "faster" cars.

But look at the cars Porsche USED to make. The 910, the 904, the 550. Yes, they are all tiny deathtraps but my word they are beautiful. Now, we have 911s that are actually bigger than the BMW 3-series, just as wide as a 5-series. A modern BMW 3-series would smoke the 910 on the track day in and day out. Would you rather own a 3-series than a 910? Well, these days, maybe since most Americans wouldn't fit into a 910 and they couldn't haul their golf clubs and two kids around.

Step into a Lotus Evora or the Elise/Exige, and you'll see what I mean. It is possible to make true sports cars in the modern day. Porsche for various reasons has decided that 5 of the 8 "facets of the 911" should be comfort and emissions driven. I think that's sad.

Just watch the following video:

I love Porsches. When I watch that video, I scream inside for Porsche to make cars like this again.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:56 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

You guys are going to hate me but I think the 991 looks much better in profile than the 997 in Carrera trim.

The 997 front and rear end look much better especially in 997.2 trim. Though I do like the 991 rear lights.

I just think the proportions are better in the profile of the 991 Carrera. 997 GT cars look better than 991 GT cars though.
My 2c
Old 12-16-2016, 08:03 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
You guys are going to hate me but I think the 991 looks much better in profile than the 997 in Carrera trim.

The 997 front and rear end look much better especially in 997.2 trim. Though I do like the 991 rear lights.

I just think the proportions are better in the profile of the 991 Carrera. 997 GT cars look better than 991 GT cars though.
My 2c
I must be in the minority, since I think the 991 looks better from every angle other than the side!
Old 12-16-2016, 08:06 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 309 Posts

Everyone will have their own opinion. IMHO, the 991 is much more modern and better in every way, and comparable 991 models are faster 997s. And the 991s have the looks to die for. And 991s are now relatively affordable. I bought a really loaded CPO 2015 991 C2S with 3k miles for nearly 30% below MSRP. It is an awesome sports car, and has made me forget most everything about my 2014 Racing Yellow Cayman S, except for the color. RY is the hottest color Porsche offers nowadays. But I can live with my Guards Red C2S.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:16 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Default Automotive Dream

Some years ago a friend of mine told me about his drive in his 904 from San Francisco to Denver. Sounds like an automotive dream. He said it was a nightmare. But I'd still love to own one.

Ok. I love 964s'. Possibly a good compromise in the argument of old v. new. I agree that the 991 is "big." But Porsche has no choice regarding emissions. Again, if big is a problem I really love the Boxster Spyder.

I'm also spoiled by Porsche quality. I'm just not convinced that some of these other marques can meet my expectations. Both 997s' and 991s' are wonderful cars. Buy the one you want. Or buy a 993. My point, again, is that even a rather pedestrian base MT 991 C4 is a fun sports car. No, it's not an R. Or a 997.2 RS. But the build quality is excellent and it's fun to drive. Of course I recommend manual gear box in all cases.

Originally Posted by caymannyc
For this car enthusiast, you hit the nail on the head. If performance on the track was all that mattered, there are a ton of cars I would rather buy than a basic 911 or even in the S iteration. The 911 S is slow and weak compared to a GTR or Corvette. But hey, some people don't care as long as it's a 911 and that it's the "newest" thing. They read the brochure and since Porsche tells them it's better than every in every way, that's what they believe, and frankly, I agree that the newer 911s are truly "faster" cars.

But look at the cars Porsche USED to make. The 910, the 904, the 550. Yes, they are all tiny deathtraps but my word they are beautiful. Now, we have 911s that are actually bigger than the BMW 3-series, just as wide as a 5-series. A modern BMW 3-series would smoke the 910 on the track day in and day out. Would you rather own a 3-series than a 910? Well, these days, maybe since most Americans wouldn't fit into a 910 and they couldn't haul their golf clubs and two kids around.

Step into a Lotus Evora or the Elise/Exige, and you'll see what I mean. It is possible to make true sports cars in the modern day. Porsche for various reasons has decided that 5 of the 8 "facets of the 911" should be comfort and emissions driven. I think that's sad.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:21 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Stairway to heaven: each step brings new model exceeding the previous. Its exciting to see the changes from one model to another, and thinking where will it end ?

People state that I have a faster more capable model than previous but in reality 90% never even find out the true capabilities of the car they own. And I'm one of them....

Quick Reply: 991 vs 997?